What's new

Who's using component? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Bleddyn, I haven't noticed any picture problems. But, I should note that I have a huge inferiority problem whenever I discuss PQ & SQ of hardware/software.

My display is a 26" Samsung HD CRT, I've got an older entry-level Sony HT receiver (STR DE-445), and my speakers are Polk R30s, CSi25, and R15s. Until I won the Blu-ray in an HTF contest, I was using a Toshiba 1600 as my player.

So whenever, I recommend hardware/software, I feel compelled to add my equipment situation as a caveat. (I need to finish my review of the DMP-BD10 and I'm hoping it will provide useful information on adding an HD player to a low-end system.)

But, back to your question, I picked the box up because the receiver only has one set of component inputs and I was hard pressed to route my DVD player AND my HD DVR (I have since added a DVD-recorder to the mix!). I noticed no signal degradation at all when I added the box between my sources and receiver.

I guess I would recommend that you could always buy one to try and, if unhappy, return it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Radio Shack #1

Radio Shack #2

Here are the sort of thing I'm talking about. I can't find the one I have anywhere on the internet. The only differences between these and mine, however, are that mine is powered and accepts IR commands to switch between inputs. I would be tempted to think the IR commands unneccesary, but would disagree. I am amazed by how often I find myself switching between the DVD players and the HD cable DVR.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

If anyone is interested and doesn't already know, I found the answer to my question...

Free HD-DVDs offer A shame that you have to choose one movie from each line, but, hey... Free is free, right?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Too late to turn back now... Even though I picked the slow (free) Super-saver shipping, and it wasn't expected to go out until Monday, the thing has already shipped! So maybe I'll be getting it sooner than I thought. Possibly next week!

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Ric..depending on where you live, you may get it in two days! I have ordered with Free Shipping from both Buy.com and Amazon and had my orders in 2-3 days.

Enjoy!

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Posted by Ric Easton:
I did the Amazon A3 deal last night as well. By the time I did it, it was down to $159.98, but was on backorder until approx. Dec. 25. I didn't care, because I did not want to go to a 5:00 A.M to noon sale and find none in stock. Also, the selection of 3 free movies offered by Amazon is better IMO than the choices of the 5 free movies I will get later.

I am an Amazon Prime member, so all my stuff ships 2nd day air. I got an e-mail this morning that says the A3 will actually ship between 12-4 and 12-7, so I will not have to wait so long after all. So, for $159.99, I will get the player and 10 movies, and did not have to leave my house or even get up early.

Getting back to the main topic: I always thought you needed HDMI to get 1080i. Am I correct that HDMI is only required in order for a player to upsconvert? I currently have my DiSH HD receiver and and upscaling player connected to one of those Monoprice HDMI switchers (my Mitsubishi 1080i DLP only has one HDMI input). I want to keep the upscaling DVD player because it it is region-free as well. However, that would require a Monoprice 3-way switcher. So, it seems to me that I can use component out from the DiSH receiver and use the HDMI switcher for my upconverting standard DVD player and the A3 when it comes, and still get 1080i, correct? Am I right that component out from the DiSH receiver will not limit me to 480p?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, just checked, back up to $178.66 Maybe folks on different computers are getting different prices (depending on how many times you click on it?) Either way... Man, what a deal!

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I figured it couldn't hurt to write to Amazon. They are refunding me 27.04. So with the 30.00 off for opening the charge, that brings the grand total to 129.98.

I am a happy camper. Maybe by this time next year, I'll find a deal almost as good for Blu-Ray!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Many of those offers are third-party ("Marketplace") offers. I guess after a new one comes along with a lower price, the price rises again when those get sold out.

Cees

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I've recently been turned on to this free service for tracking 30-day price guarantees at Amazon (and other sites):

http://www.priceprotectr.com

It works great and saved me some $$ when the price dropped within the guarantee window.

ScottB

Auditioning
ok, folks, a real old-timer here (i haven't posted in 6 years!) who took advantage of the Amazon $159 HD-DVD player even though I vowed not to enter the fray until a HD winner was chosen. How free dvd's will sway me... anyway, I have an older projection tv: Mitsubishi WS-65311 with no HDMI. I hooked up the player but after reading in the manual that some discs that are copy protected will be down-converted to 480 over component, I got a little nervous. I tried a bunch of standard DVD's and got the message on screen that they were being down-converted to 480.

I didn't want to open the HD-DVD's until I was sure and so I searched HTF and found this thread. So, after reading it, please tell me if I've got this right: 1) The HD-DVD's will play at 1080i via the Toshiba A3 even in component video until the studios decide to put copy protection on? 2) basically no dvd will play at 1080i using the A3 over component, so no upconverting?

I was kind of excited that i'd be able to upconvert my 3000+ dvds so I'm a little disapointed there, but if I can actually play HD-DVD's at the higher rez then at least I can keep this thing.

ONe more question: is it possible to in some way get the HDMI into this old Mitsubishi? I.e. is there some kind of high-def converter that will accept the HDMI signal and output it via component to my 5-year old Mitsubishi? Or am I resigned to having made the mistake of having bought a high-def-dead-end? I seem to remember Mitsubishi promising to make sure all their tv's would be able to accept either HDMI or Firewire once the standard became known - because at the time it wasn't standardized. Or am i remembering it wrong?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You understand correctly, HD DVD over component is doable (at least until the studios decide to flip on the ICT flag, but that should be a few years away if ever). DVD over component will not be upconverted, and will only by delivered in its native resolution (480).

If your TV doesn't have HDMI, only component video input(s), then you are stuck with what you have (1080i for HD DVD, 480p for DVD). I also retired my 5-year old 1080i HDTV set to the bedroom, and went with a HDMI-capable plasma set in April.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Scott, you cannot upconvert DVDs thru component. But, go ahead and open up those HD-DVDs. You will see them in all their HD glory. No one is presently flagging Hi-Def discs so that you cannot enjoy them through component.

I got my player yesterday, and the hi-def discs look great! And the standard DVDs still look pretty darn good.

As far as I know, there is no HDMI work around for being able to upconvert DVDs.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Out of curiosity, what is gained by not allowing upconversion over component?

ScottB

Auditioning

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I am opening the plastic wrap as we speak. I hope it will be a treat - i've kept my head in the sand over hd-dvd/blu-ray and i haven't even previewed either technology in a store or at a friend's house yet so this'll be my first glimpse.

On the standard DVDs: even without upconverting, you think I may still notice an improvement on DVD? Keep in mind you are talking to someone who can't really see a difference with progressive scan turned on or off on my old dvd player!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Scott,

Trust us, it will be a treat. :)

Not allowing upconversion over component is supposed to make it more difficult to illegally copy DVD (the HDMI connection supports DRM). As if those organized crooks wouldn't have the proper equipment to get the signal after the HDMI chip.

If you want to see the SD DVDs upconverted over HDMI, you need a TV set having that.

Another solution would be to buy one of those new PC monitors having DVI + HDCP support and 1980x1200 screens. I did that as a temporary measure (and moved the monitor to a PC later). All you need for it to work is an HDMI->DVI cable.

Cees

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
No but HD will be a big improvement.

I will say this for those of you just buying in. Once you get used to the HD signal, it will be kind of tough to go back to HD. It will take a bit but it will set in and that's all she wrote.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks