What's new

Who's loading up on prev-gen games? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's a good time (for me) to be an N64 gamer :) Yesterday, I picked up Turok 2 (new), Jet Force Gemini (new), Tetrisphere (used), and WaveRace (used) for $45 total. I also saw Perfect Dark for $10.
It's going to be a fun Thanksgiving weekend!
Anyone else taking advantage of low prices on older systems? Or am I the only one not getting a XBOX/PS2/GameCube immediately?

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Nope, I've been doing the same thing for the past year, but stocking up on PSOne games. I mean there are some great great deals on Ebay if you want to look for them.
Fear Effect: $15, Res Evil 3: $15, Res Evil 2: $10. There's a boatload of classic titles like that available for cheap if you want to hunt around. And not so cheap, mind you. But I decided to buy a PSOne after skipping the last generation of console wars, due to the price drop. No regrets. I've bought literally 20 classic PSOne titles since then, and most have been spot-on excellent.
If I could get an N64 for dirt cheap, I'd do the same thing, I suspect :).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I picked up a Dreamcast when it hit the $100 range, and have been scooping up $8-20 games for the past couple of months. I'm not binging or anything, but it's orders of magnitude easier to get me to pay $20 for a game than $50.

Andre F

Screenwriter
For some reason I can't bring myself to do this. I'm so jealous. Instead I just buy all the latest and greatest. I guess I'm addicted. :frowning:
-Andre F

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I imagine there's a wealth of cheap PSOne games out, especially with PS2 having been out for a year now.
I've had good luck with online auctions, but for N64 games it's easier to prowl the local stores; especially the used game stores.
And it's so much cheaper to be behind the trend (if not quite so cool) :)
Now I just need to get my Wetrix game back from be former girlfriend. Though, that would mean I'd have to return her Beetle Adventure Racing.
Next up, probably Perfect Dark.

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
I still look for games for my original NES and SNES. I can usually find those for $5-$10 a piece and they are still a lot of fun. There are a few N64 games that I'll probably pick up also. Right now though, I've been glued to the Gamecube.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Hey, there's a used record/video/games store across the street from me with Atari 2600 & 7800 games (no boxes, sadly). Actually, I think they had Odyssey carts as well, but I don't know who they'd sell them to. :)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I was buying Sega Genesis games at clearance prices around the time the Saturn came out. I got lots of Sega CD games for under $5, and got a 32X for $20 and tons of games for that too. I wouldn't have bought any of these at full price, but they were worth getting cheap.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I've been looking for a few Dreamcast games lately. Now that the system is basically defunct, games are hella cheap(new and used)

I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of Soul Calibur. I'm sure one will show up soon enough.

But with all the goodness that I'm getting out of my Xbox/Gamecube/PS2 I don't have much time for other games. So what I did was put the Dreamcast in my bedroom and attached it to an extra PC monitor I had + a decent set of PC speakers. Now, before I pass out at night I like to get a few laps of Daytona in...hopefully Soul Calibur soon.

Andrew

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't know if it's this way for other systems' games, but I found that prices for several N64 games varied a lot from store to store.
For example, Perfect Dark would be $30 one place, and $10 another. A more recent game ranged from $40 to $63. For several good games, it paid off to look around.
Now I'm hunting the net, making a list of good games for future bargain hunting. :)

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I always keep my eyes peeled for the classics. I own around 80 NES games, my brother and I still play that from time to time. Same as the SNES. I haven't been looking too hard for PSX games, but I may do so in the future. The PS2 being backward-compatible is a big plus. I'll also start looking for DC games right around January, when all the stores start dumping leftover stock.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Me, I'm snapping up Dreamcast games left right & centre. Picked up Vanishing Point yesterday for $9.99 at a local EB, picked up Typing of the Dead for $20 during the week. I'm sitting at close to 50 titles, will hit 50 when a mate in the UK ships over some games he's picked up there for me: Stunt GP, Head Hunter & Le Mans 24.
Great time to be a DC owner :)
Current task is to snap up the Bleem disks while I still can - got GT2, anyone seen Metal Gear Solid or Tekken 3 'in the wild' or know of a website with them instock?

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
Same with me - Dreamcast games. I just picked up Shenmue for $12, Rayman 2 for $18, MSR for $20 (searched long and hard for that deal) and Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense for $13.
I agree it's a great time to own a DC. :)

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
OH - MY - GOD!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Dan B

Screenwriter
Good lord! A couple of those guys are true hardcore gamers. I don't know if I pity them or envy them.* :) Thanks for the link, Graeme.
Back to the topic, I have been loading up on PC games lately for some reason...especially older ones that I never got around to buying.
-Dan B
*not true...I totally envy them

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Great Googly Moogly! How do you play that many games? :)
Out of curiosity, how's the selection of PS1 games at local stores? The N64 section is minimal at all the retail chains (making room for GCN, surely). For future purchases, I'll probably stick with the used game stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks