What's new

Who's Got All 45 Twilight Zone DVD's?? (1 Viewer)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Carrol, I was thinking about doing it that way, as well, but I realized they're cheaper at DeepDiscountDVD. For vols. 1-43, and the 2 Treasures discs, it's just $485.xx with FREE shipping as always. Adding $16.36 shipped for the Serling doc from DVDEmpire (DDD doesn't stock it), it comes to a grand total of $501.91 shipped. It doesn't have the book, but it does have the doc, which that TZ site doesn't include. Now what's the best way to order them? I'll probably do like 4 a month so about this time next year, I should have them all. Should I do it??

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
It's also worth noting that the first 13 or so volumes (from Panasonic) pale in comparison to the remainder of the collection: The episodes were taken from videotape masters, and it shows. ...
This is kinda strange ..... because I just noticed that NONE of my TZ DVDs have Panasonic anywhere on the cover (front or back)! Which I did indeed think WAS odd when I got them, because the covers say PANASONIC.
Anybody else notice this on your discs?
I'm now wondering (based on what was said above by Craig Beam about the lesser-quality Panasonic transfers), if perhaps my copies (which show Image Entertainment only) are of better quality than the ones marked Panasonic? Or: perhaps it's simply a packaging change...so that they'd all be the same. Hmmmm.
P.S.: Re-submitted for your approval ... My TZ trivia Q. from February 18 is still unanswered. Any takers?? :)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
David: the first 13 volumes (along with the two "Treasures" volumes) were indeed put out by Panasonic... but when Image continued the collection, the Panasonic logos were removed from further pressings of those earlier volumes. As for my collection, the "Treasures" volumes and 3-13 are Panasonic, but 1 and 2 are Image. It looks a bit strange on the shelf, but I'm not quite anal enough to replace them over a minor difference like that... yet, anyway. :D
Panasonic definitely used the same masters as the laserdiscs/VHS releases from CBS/Fox. I had the VHS editions (2 episodes per tape), and the exact same episodes showed up on the Panasonic dvds!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Thanks for reviving this thread.
And, oh, I forgot to mention I have all 45 too. :)
Cees

GaryEA

Second Unit
Another thank you for reviving this thread; It reminded me that I still needed to pick up the Buster Keaton episode to add to my Keaton library.

-g

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Cees and GaryEA, you're welcome. And to show your appreciation, you can donate money or TZ DVDs to my "I Want to Buy all 45 TZ DVDs Collection Fund" if you wish. :)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Can any Canadians advise or suggest where to best purchase this set as I would also like to pick it up? DDD doesn't appear to ship free to Canada and Future Shop is (as always) out to lunch on their prices for the TZ discs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Herb.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
What's everybody's favorite "Zone"??
My favorites include........
> Odyssey of Flight 33
> The Hitchhiker
> The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street
> Nick of Time
> Third From the Sun
> Nightmare at 20,000 Feet
It's nice to have all of these favorites on DVD.
Favorite DVD Volume would have to be Vol. 2. 4 excellent TZ tales! :)
"Somehow, in some way, this aircraft has gone back into time....and it's 1939."
"There's a man on the wing of this airplane!!"

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Reading this thread - and the link to Johns Twilight Zone Page - is bringing back some great memories.

My favorite episode, I think, is the one where there is a wager between two men that one of them cannot go an entire year without speaking. I remember that he is placed in a glass cage and there is, of course, a shocking twist at the end.

Anyone recall the name of this episode?

Jon

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Jon: The episode in question is "The Silence." Great episode, very Hitchcockian. One of the few TZs to be completely grounded in reality (no sci-fi or supernatural elements), and a marvelous performance by Franchot Tone.
Hmmmm.... think I'll go watch it right now. ;)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I imagine most everyone is aware of this, but perhaps some of you who own the post-volume #26 dics don't know you have Easter Eggs on your discs comprised of isolated music scores (a few by Bernard Herrmann, Jerry Goldsmith, etc.)?

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I bumped this thread up nearly a month ago, saying I was going to start buying all the TZ discs. I later decided not to because I've been buying too many discs lately. Tonight, I went to Link Removed to do my daily search of newly-announced titles, and saw that they posted their December releases. Guess what I saw listed among them?
Twilight Zone Collection #1 12/03/2002 DVD
Twilight Zone Collection #2 12/03/2002 DVD
Each set contains 9 discs (vols. 1-9 and 10-18, respectively). Retail is $99.99 each. These are the same discs, just in a slipcase I imagine so there's still the problem of space with all those discs, but it'll be quite a bit cheaper this way (with pre-order discounts of 30-40% making it between $60 and $70 per set), and faster, with 40% of the series being released at once. With all due respect to those of you who already have them, I'm glad I waited. Imagine how upset I would've been if I started buying them last month, and then saw this announcement today.

Christopher D

Second Unit
Outstanding! That'll tip it over for me. That should work out (assuming generous preorder/online discount) to around $325-$375 for the whole series!

Where do I sign up?

[Edit: Ahh, here's where I sign up. DVD Planet has these up for a preorder price of $69.99 each, which would work out to $334 for 43 discs. Think I'll wait for a bit to see if anyone puts them up cheaper.]

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Is the original version of the pilot episode available on any volume other than the Treasures set?

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Scott: Yes it is! It can be found on the final volume (43). Wait, do you mean the original (broadcast) version, or the earlier version that never aired (different opening, narrator, etc.)? The broadcast version is on the Treasures volume, and the rare pilot version is on 43.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well these sets are not going to be good news for me. I have already purchased about a third of the series, but not in sequential order. That means that I would not be able to buy any of these groups of 10 without getting some repeats. Does anyone know if the original volumes will remain available?

- Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks