What's new

Who would buy Mr. Peepers? (1 Viewer)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Here's a topic about Mr. Peepers, and I haven't said a peep up to now, so here goes....

I saw some episodes of Mr. Peepers that were filmed in front of a live studio audience -- and not just off the studio cameras! 2 or 3 episodes aired back to back. I don't remember what cable channel they turned up on, although it might have been TV Land.

Tony Randall was OK in his first series as a co-star, but it certainly wasn't Felix Unger.... Marion Lorne was light years away from becoming Aunt Clara on Bewitched. This was basically a low-key vehicle for a low-key comedian: Wally Cox.

I just want to say a few things about Wally. I've always wanted to see his filmed sitcom The Adventures of Hiram Holiday. Since it takes place all over the world, Hiram the reporter must have been a more fascinating concept than Robinson Peepers, the schoolteacher. Has this 1950s comedy ever turned up in reruns or it is as lost and rare as Carol Burnett's first series Stanley, in which she played Buddy Hackett's girlfriend?

In the 1960s, Cox was amusing in a silly episode of The Twilight Zone entitled "From Agnes, with Love" in which he plays a computer programmer whose mainframe falls in love with him! :D His guest shots on other shows such as It Takes a Thief were memorable too. In the early 1970s, he and Bob Crane appeared in Disney comedies on the big screen.

But let's face it: It was in the last years of his life on The Hollywood Squares in which Wally was most at ease...even if he seemed to be aloof and bewildered at times. But his unassuming one-liners were very much his own, and that was just a small part of the earliest years of a classic game show!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Wow, thanks to Internet Movie Database, I found trivia on something we never heard of: Wally Cox & Buddy Hackett were two of the regulars in a live sketch comedy series called The School House, and that's where they got their start on televison.....
in early 1949! So it was about 3 years before Mr. Peepers.

Cox wasn't the only nerdish, bespectacled comedian on that program. Arnold Stang -- who had previously done one of the voices in a 1940s Popeye cartoon was also in the cast.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Actually, quite a few episodes of "Adventures of Hiram Holiday" have circulated about, in the collectors' market. Might even be public domain stuff (thus, legit). I have about six episodes on tape, which I must have gotten about twelve or more years ago. They had original commercials included too. The show had an interesting premise (lots of globe-trotting, and having the seemingly meek Cox involved in exotic escapades). I liked it, although it also seemed pretty dated in certain ways, even for 1957.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Was Hiram Holiday filmed on location or in Hollywood on a studio soundstage, Bert?

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
"Hiram" was indeed a soundstage affair, which is what lent to its datedness, as I recall. Still, I liked the humor in the juxtaposition of meek, low-key Cox involved in romantic derring-do. I can see why it didn't last, though.

Anybody left from "Mr. Peepers" to do an interview or commentary? Is Patricia Benoit still around? Sure would like to see some more episodes. My grandfather, who was never much of a tv fan, always used to cite a certain episode in which wimpy-looking Peepers was giving calisthenics lessons to a tough hardhart crew. Every time my grandfather related that memory, he'd go into stitches describing it. And, he was NOT someone prone to go into stitches. Rarely did he reminisce about tv-viewings at all, in fact. But, somehow, that "Mr. Peepers" really got to him, and he repeated it to me dozens of times over the years.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
An interesting tidbit about Wally Cox:

He was cremated and some of his ashes were kept by his good friend and ex-roommate Marlon Brando.

Brando died last year, was cremated, and left instructions that some of his ashes be distributed at a certain spot in Death Valley along with the Cox ashes he had kept (for this very purpose, presumably.)

This might be a tribute to a great friendship, or perhaps they were lovers. I don't really care which it was, but they do strike me as rather an odd couple.

Christopher_H

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to change topics, but when I saw this title, I immediately thought of the SNL Chris Kattan skits where he acts like a monkey from the Amazon. They call him Mr. Peepers.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Re: Hiram Holiday/Mr. Peepers on DVD

A total of 8 episodes of "The Adventures of Hiram Holiday" have been released on two DVD volumes by the ultra low-budget Canadian label Cascadia Entertainment as part of their "Golden Years of Classic Television" line. In all probability, you will not find these at brick & mortar stores. Spinning Disc Entertainment (http://www.spinningdiscent.com) sells many of the "Golden Years" line and currently has volume 1, but seems to have sold out of volume 2. However, I've seen both volumes listed on EBay. The Cascadia prints are pretty rough, but watchable. Cascadia also has a TV Comedy DVD (volume 2, I think) that has a single episode of Mr. Peepers, along with a single episode each of Mama, The Trouble with Father and the first version of The Life of Riley (with Jackie Gleason). The Mr. Peepers episode looks strange in that the film speed is off, but the soundtrack is synchronized pretty well . . . possibly a result of the kinescope process. Tony Randall appears in the episode.

Anyhow, for Hiram fans, here's a listing of the episodes:

Volume 1:
Sea Cucumber
Dancing Mouse
Hawaiian Humza
Wrong Rembrandt

Volume 2:
Lapidary Wheel
Gibraltar Toad
Romantic Pigeon
Moroccan Hawk Moth

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I think I'll pass, because I wanted to see it on cable --not buy it on video.
But for those who are Wally Cox fans you've certainly helped them. :)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
About the Kaye show: a few months ago PBS did a retrospective on the show based on the B/W and color tapes, and it looked great! I wonder why Dena Kaye has been reticent in releasing more of her father's work for future generations. There's a great irony here.

Danny Kaye was a favorite of the imfamous CBS president James "The Smiling Cobra" Aubrey, who openly favored the Kaye show over The Judy Garland Show. Why? Because Judy's show was developed by a rival exceutive at CBS who Aubrey soon ousted. Never mind that Judy's show had the better stars and acclaim from all the TV critics, he deliberately put it opposite the #1 show in the country, Bonanza! The Judy Garland Show was left to wither and die after one season, while The Danny Kaye Show lasted for three, the last in color.

Forty years later, The Judy Garland Show has been released on DVD to great acclaim and is recognized as a TV classic, whereas hardly anyone talks about Danny Kaye anymore except for some his great feature films.

About the Astaire shows- I did a thread about them a few weeks ago. And I'd like to see Mr. Peepers just to see Tony Randall in his first hit show.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I wouldn't believe everything you read about Aubrey and the Garland show.

No one pays millions of dollars for a show they want to deliberately sabotage.

A lot of the stories about Aubrey came from Judy herself, and she was a notorious liar.

One correction -- at the time Judy's show was scheduled (Spring of 1963), "Bonanza" was NOT the #1 show in the country -- that was "The Beverly Hillbillies." "Bonanza" was the #1 show on NBC, but it came in fourth over all for the 62-63 season. With the weak competition from Garland, "Bonanza" placed second for the 1963-64 season, with "Hillbillies" still #1.

It was after that -- 64-67 -- that "Bonanza" was Number One, for three seasons.

One minor correction -- Danny Kaye's show was on four seasons, not three. And who can say if they weren't available on DVD now they too wouldn't be acclaimed as masterpieces?

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Joe- may I suggest you read "Rainbow's End" by Coyne Steven Sanders? It is a detailed history of the making (and unmaking) of the Garland series, and has interviews with practically everyone besides Judy who was involved with the show and they basicallly back up the incredible story of Aubrey's antagonism to Garland.

Check out the reviews for the book here at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Once you've finished reading the book and seeing the DVDs of The Judy Garland Show, you can then apologize for your previous comments.....

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I had seen a few clips of comedy sketches from The Danny Kaye Show on a TV special once in recent years featuring Danny and series regular Harvey Korman, and I can say without a doubt that they were in their original videotaped form -- both black & white and color tape. This is the case with several taped CBS series from the 1960s, including one that is unwatchable for me (The Judy Garland Show).

So that proves to me that the tapes still exist, but the Kaye estate has not released them to the public yet and that's unfortunate.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
This brings me to again ask the question: Since the market has been oversaturated with The Honeymooners except the last seasons (1966 to 1970), why haven't various versions of the far superior The Jackie Gleason Show not been put out on video (VHS and DVD release) after all these years?

The only one that has was Gleason's very first episode of Jackie Gleason & His American Scene Magazine guest starring Art Carney and Wayne Newton from October 1962 on VHS back in the 1990s. It was complete, but a kinescope of a series in which many B & W videotapes still exist.

It's been about 20 years since half-hour edited versions of the series were shown in syndication. Are even those too expensive for TV Land??

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

I did -- I read through it as I watched the shows on DVD (it came with the box set.)

The writer was obviously a big Garland fan, so what he relates has to be taken with many grains of salt.

Judy Garland was absolutely one of the most talented and absolutely one of the least stable people in the history of show business. A lot of books about her have been written by die-hard fans who like to make her out as this poor, innocent victim of evil forces all around her. I'm afraid "Rainbow's End" was one of them.

Now, I'd like you to re-read the book with a more critical mindset, and then come back and apologize for what you said. :)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Getting back to the original topic, the word I'm hearing is that Mr. Peepers is on track for a September release as a 4-DVD set with approximately 28 shows. Keeping fingers crossed.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
This is such an interesting topic! ;)

I never was a Wally Cox fan, but not having seen Mr. Peepers I still might be interested in it for its sentimental value and its other stars. Besides, it's exciting to see a 50s show get some recognition.

About the variety shows: I wish there were some way they could get around the music clearance rights, since they were taped so long ago. I'd love to see a Danny Kaye show again. And remember all the great summer replacement shows? Bobby Goldsboro, the Everly Bros, John Gary, etc. It's a shame people are being deprived of seeing such entertaining programs because of the recording industry greed. If I were one of the stars of those programs I would be livid.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Was Marion Lorne in every episode of this series or a majority of them? If so, I'm definitely buying this set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks