What's new

Who reads Premiere magazine?? (1 Viewer)

John Randolph

Stunt Coordinator
I got a subscription (long story), but have never seen even one edition of it. Is it good? What kind of articles, features, etc. does it have?

Thanks.

Brent_H

Second Unit
i have only received a few issues so far.....its not bad. I like the in depth interviews I dont see anywehre else. I cant really commment much on it tho....havent read tooooo much. some issues seem rather skimpy tho.

~Brent

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
I've been reading "Premiere" about 5 years now. In general it's an excellent magazine, with articles that are a bit more candid and well-written than other entertainment mags, and generally excellent photo layouts that don't pander to the lowest common denominator.
The film critiques are well thought-out, they have a healthy section devoted to DVD reviews, and they also devote generous space towards obscure subjects and films. They also have an excellent feature (which I wish they'd do more of) where they dedicate several pages to the making of a classic film (including Nashville, The Godfather and Jaws, to name a few).
"Premiere" is also home to the hilariously sarcastic film critic Libby Gelman-Waxer, which is a pseduonym for screenwriter Paul Rudnick (Addams Family Values, Jeffrey, In and Out). These reviews have a lot of biting humor and are always good for a laugh.
My only complaint is that the magazine (as said above) is a bit skimpy sometimes. Remember too that they focus purely on films; so if you're looking for TV or music reviews, you're out of luck. Additionally, they sometimes devote a lot of pages to a subject that--quite frankly--doesn't merit it (the recent article on an actor's Russian-maffia-related murder was interesting, but seemed a bit out of place in this magazine).
So to sum up: "Premiere" is a little less flashier than other entertainment magazines, but it well worth your time.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
How about Entertainment Weekly? I used to get it. Never really read it tho.

What is a good mag for a movie buff? Ideally it would keep current with the industry but offer some kind of retro section or something, for older movies.

--
Holadem

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
What is a good mag for a movie buff?
I'm not sure if it exists anymore, but there was a fantastic magazine called "Filmmaker" that featured articles on directors and films that sometimes ran dozens of pages. It had very few photos per se, but the writing was rich and the articles were extremely interesting.
Now, about "Entertainment Weekly": it's a very glossy, flashy mag, but it's fun to read, and the articles have a nice, breezy tone (with an air of sarcasm). The reviewers are generally knowledgeable and--with the exception of film critic Lisa Schwarzbaum--intelligent with their criticisms. You won't find many articles about the latest obscure indie (though some slip through the editorial process), but it offers a lot of info about a wide variety of entertainment topics.
Plus, it has a lot of pictures. I like pictures. :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I get EW, Premiere and Movieline. EW is just pop cultural mag and advertisement, Premiere is pretty decent. Movieline can be confounding at time for no good reason, but an okay read as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks