Who or Where do we report bootlegs too?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joshua Moran, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

Seems that Ebay is selling Bootleg copies of the movie House of 1000 Corpses before it even hits the theater. That really isn't fair don't you think.

2. Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier Stunt Coordinator

There is no such thing as "fairness." Once you acknowledge that, life is much, much easier.

Charlie

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I would alert the studio. Email them the link using the "comments" page on their website (if they have one, Lion's Gate, correct?).

Reporting it directly to Ebay will have no effect.

4. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

if you read the descriptions closely, they are VCD's. buyer beware.

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Uh, yeah. Right.

Joshua: it IS a good thing to report the bootlegs, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. [​IMG]

The good thing about eBay is that they at least TRY in most cases to do the right thing. If a seller uses their site as a platform to sell bootlegs, then they will remove that auction if you report it to them. Malcolm's right in that it may not have an effect, since they often have so many reports that it's hard to keep up with. Reporting it tothe studio may help, too...but at least give eBay's reporting a try. It's worked for me several times.

I don't have the ability to provide you with a direct link right now, but eBay has various places that encourage you to report various forms of piracy and other illegal auctions using their "safe harbor" system. Consult their help system for more info.

6. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

The Motion Picture Association of America is the industry watchdog for bootlegs and piracy. A relevant excerpt from its web site:

7. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

Thanks for all the replies folks. I tried to let E-Bay know, but I couldn't get anywhere that is why I posted here in the first place I figure you guys would know something.