What's new

Who Listens To Us Anymore? (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
ROclockCK said:
And yet the studios are doing more and more remastering for 4k* Koroush. So they must believe that the infrastructure will be there at some point to support it.
I think films are being remastered to 4K for archival purposes, rather than for home video, specifically. The studios are creating a single master than can be re-purposed for any use - 4K and 2K DCPs for theatrical bookings, 4K and HD sttreaming and downloads, blu-ray, DVD etc.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
FoxyMulder said:
That doesn't tell the whole story, another site ran some tests and found people could tell the difference between 1080p and 4K content on 50 inch televisions at a reasonable distance away, you won't need massive screens to see a difference and if they actually go for 10 or 12 bit colour we will see improvements beyond resolution alone, for example we could kiss goodbye to colour banding issues, the problem will be that some films just won't look much better, other films will, the average consumer probably doesn't care, the other thing is this, if it encourages new 4K film scans it will also benefit 1080p transfers, they will be better too.
Improved colour specs have nothing to do with 4K per se - they'd benefit anything from 4K down to SD. Has this actually been implemented yet, though? Are the 4K downloads available with new Sony and Samsung sets actually encoded as 4:4;4? Are the Netflix 4K streams?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Worth said:
Improved colour specs have nothing to do with 4K per se - they'd benefit anything from 4K down to SD.
From what i gather you have a small colour gamut increase with xvYCC on some of the Sony mastered in 4K releases, it's not the same as deep colour and those releases have been encoded to specifically work with a small selection of Sony televisions and projectors. I doubt any streaming service is offering anything better with regards the colour.

I believe 4K will be used with deep colour implemented, they need to offer something other than resolution to interest me.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
JohnMor said:
And without the studio licensing out the other 2 films which they weren't releasing themselves, guess which one you would have the sole choice of anyway? This way, the other two are available to people who do think they're worth the price to own. Isn't that better than them sitting unreleased?

Not to mention that the other two releases are in definite profit for both the studio and distributor since they sold out. The same can't necessarily be said yet of The Time Machine blu-ray release.
You are arguing (and very well) a different point than the one I was trying to make. It might be better that $10,000 apples are available than no apples at all, but us "poor folks" will continue to go apple-less. We would love a tasty apple, but our scarce funds will be going elsewhere.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Persianimmortal said:
PC gaming is a mere shadow of what it once was - we used to get high quality PC- exclusive games which pushed the hardware to its limits, with plenty of customization options and advanced graphics. Now we get shoddy console ports. There is absolutely no question that there's a correlation between the decline of the PC platform and it's abuse through rampant piracy. I wrote a detailed article demonstrating this with plenty of data many years ago.
The first time I came across this, was Grand Theft Auto 4 (GTA4).

I was looking forward to the PC version of GTA4, until I read many reviews of it describing it as a huge botch job. I ended up buying an xbox 360 instead, just to play GTA4. (This was the first time I picked up a video game console in over 20 years).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Rick Thompson said:
Yeah, but disco was recognized as crap even then. Don't think they feel the same about the top films of that era.
Let's take a different era. Maybe disco wasn't a good example.

Over the years I noticed my nephews/nieces and their cohorts, have no idea and don't listen to music from the 60's. They have no idea and largely don't care about bands like: The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Bob Dylan, etc ... (The same could be also be said of 50's music like Sinatra, Elvis, Ray Charles, etc ...).

The only 60's band they know of is The Beatles, though largely from The Beatles' music being played everywhere. They have no interest in listening to any of The Beatles albums.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Kyrsten Brad said:
You'd be surprised! More than you know.
Indeed. My four kids (ages 13, 14, 17, and 21) all have Ipod's loaded with 70's and 80's music. My daughter (the 14 yr old) is a huge "Glee" fan and she's got into music ranging from Burt Bacharach to Barbra Steisand based on the tribute-shows that "Glee" does.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
atfree said:
based on the tribute-shows that "Glee" does.
If anything, mainstream visibility seems to be a huge driving factor. (Such as The Beatles, etc... ). Especially rising above the "noise" of too much information.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Dan_Shane said:
You are arguing (and very well) a different point than the one I was trying to make. It might be better that $10,000 apples are available than no apples at all, but us "poor folks" will continue to go apple-less. We would love a tasty apple, but our scarce funds will be going elsewhere.
But the apple analogy is incorrect. There are (theoretically) unlimited apples. Each apple is a separate entity, consumed and then gone. And anyone could grow one of their own, so it's ridiculous to assume someone would try to sell any for $10,000 each. There is only ONE of each of these classic films, so somebody may be willing to pay a higher price than others to own their own copy. And $29.95 for something you want that you can keep and rewatch (theoretically) forever, is a FAR cry from $10,000 for something you would consume once.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I wonder if you are rich enough to afford it whether the studio would entertain you if you went to them and said here's $80,000 can you do a new 4K film scan and some cleanup and additional work and when you are finished please mail me the disc, i'd like a 1080p and 4K blu ray, would they do it, probably not but i wonder if they might in certain circumstances.

Dr Griffin said:
Where can I get one of these $10,000 apples?

I don't have any apples but i do have some magic beans to sell you, just don't tell Jack as he thinks he has exclusive dibs on them.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
MatthewA said:
Do people born in 1983 count as millennials?
Hard to say precisely.

Such labels like gen X, boomer, millennials, etc ... seem to be more self-identified than anything that fits into a precise categorization.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
JohnMor said:
But the apple analogy is incorrect. There are (theoretically) unlimited apples. Each apple is a separate entity, consumed and then gone. And anyone could grow one of their own, so it's ridiculous to assume someone would try to sell any for $10,000 each. There is only ONE of each of these classic films, so somebody may be willing to pay a higher price than others to own their own copy. And $29.95 for something you want that you can keep and rewatch (theoretically) forever, is a FAR cry from $10,000 for something you would consume once.
And that is my point. There are a *lot* of movies available on disc -- each a separate entity. Your $10,000 apple (or even a $29.95 apple) might be larger, shinier, even tastier than the ones I get at the local fruit stand, but I still have to budget my consumables based on financial resources. I would rather have a bagful of very good apples that I can afford than your better-than-the-best, limited-quantity, call-before-midnight-so-you-don't-miss-out single pippin.

I am not talking about buying the mass-produced movie dreck that litters the bargain bins anymore than I am comparing rotten fruit. There is a plethora of high-quality offerings on Blu-ray at popular prices. And I do occasionally spring for Criterion releases, but I usually do so when B&N run their sales or there is a special on Amazon. The Twilight Time prices only seem to go up (WAY UP!), so I do not possess a single one of those in spite of the fact that they have issued many I would not mind owning.

My beef with the Twilight Time model is not particularly militant; if people like it they can exploit it. But I do not think it contributes appropriately to the line of reasoning that Blu-ray is unloved because TT cannot sell 3,000 of some of their titles. If that statistic is a factor at all I would consider it a very small one.

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
People listen to me and Kentai, everyone else are just marks to be victimized .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks