What's new

Who is using all speakers as LARGE ? (1 Viewer)

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I run my Infinity Prelude MTS mains as "Large" and they do go down to 20Hz in room (+/- 3dB). Of course, they DO have 12" powered (850W) subs... although I still use a seperate sub for LFE, a 142L EBS alignment Shiva that goes down to 14Hz (+/- 3dB). These Preludes still surprise me almost every time I listen to them, damn I just love the way they sound. :D

Martice

Screenwriter
A quote from Stereophile's Mr. Atkinson about the Goldi's "The Stratus Gold i also scored big-time in the low frequencies. Where a speaker had true bass information, the speaker reproduced it in full measure. The 8-octave bands on Test CD 3 sang out at full level down to 32 Hz, with the 20 Hz band still audible".

Couple this with quality amplification and I see no need for using the small setting especially in my not so large room. I did listen to my system calibrated with the small setting for my fronts and I noticed a decrease in clarity in the sound stage but more bass information overall from the sub. Go figure!?!

I think in short, small and large is very system and room dependent and calls for us to really look at our systems synergistic make up honestly, as well as room acoustics and make all necessary adjustments to insure optimal audio/HT experience regardless of the setting.

Hi Jerry. How's that monster sub of yours doing? Did you destroy any china or pictures around the house yet?

Marc H

Second Unit
Large sounds better to me. Just flipping back and forth easily confirms that.

Benefits - all the speakers and subs are dealing with the information discretely and seperately, doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing. The sub is not cluttered by the low frequency info from the left and right channels. Also, signal loss from bass management crossovers are eliminated from the speaker channels for a more coherent bandwidth.

However, when using low current receivers, there is a benefit to using small because you are relieving the receiver of the heavy duty work and then it may have a benefit to the sound on the frequencies above the bass management crossover point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks