Who is still using their HD-DVD player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave Moritz, Jun 26, 2012.

1. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

hi schan1269,

since you obviously only want to be confrontational with me, i wanted to inform you that i am simply placing you on my ignore list.

that solves the issue for me.

i truly wish you good luck in the future.

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Only confrontation we had was when you were telling people how to steal music.As far as this. HD-DVD has nada, zilch, nothing to do with DVD.

3. hotrodguy

hotrodguy Stunt Coordinator

Cliff
    I have two HD-DVD players, the HD-A2 and HD-A30. The A2 is kind of quirky, sometimes it won't recognize an HD-DVD until I put in an SD-DVD and then an HD-DVD that I know plays fine and then it will play the disc in question. Sometimes it won't read the disc the first time but then it will the second time I open and close the tray. The A30 is awesome and the one I have in the theater, it only has problems with problematic discs, of which I only have two, Sky Captain and Santana: Hymns For Peace, both of which won't play at all. I got Sky Captain when they were still selling discs and got a replacement so I'm good there. Santana I just bought recently from Ebay, new and factory sealed but it just won't play, thankfully it was only $6.

HD-DVD discs are finicky but I've had BD that were also finicky, but all those were Netflix rentals so...

I don't use the HD-DVD players that much but when I do, I always have to hope it will play fine, which it usually does. I agree with some previous posters, I like the picture quality a little better than the BD's, it seem sharper and more detailed, maybe because it outputs 1080i whereas 1080p does have a more film like appearance, which is good. But it seems every time I play an HD-DVD, it always makes me say "wow". Now if the player would actually output the lossy or lossless audio instead of transcoding it to PCM...

Looking back, BD was the winner for a reason, OK, several reasons.

4. SilverWook

SilverWook Cinematographer

Bill
    Picked up a French HD-DVD of The Shining recently. (It's the shorter version.) Watched it on my LG BH-200 combo player, which gets HDMI hiccups at least once per movie. Sometimes even a good disc will freeze up for no apparent reason. It's a strange beast. I really wish that sweet zoom feature Warner titles had was implemented on BD.

5. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I've got a trusty XA-1 for sale if anyone's interested :)

6. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I keep a hddvd/bd drive. While hddvd playing software isn't handy, it.. Stores easy and I have snagged a lot of hddvd for $1 or less

7. Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins Owner, from The Other Washington
    Owner

Kevin Collins
    I still have every version of Toshiba's HD-DVD players and still use them for watching some of my favorites (Blade Runner / The Matrix). I will doing a "Matrix Weekend" next weekend and will get full use of my HD DVD player.

8. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    I have an HD-A35 which I use in my main unit, which replaced an HD-A1 I had used since the format's inception back in 2006. I went to install the HD-A1 in my second unit, but when I found out I could have no more than PCM audio nor no more than 1080i video via my receiver's HDMI input, I went on and picked up a second HD-A35 to use there. The HD-A1 remains in reserve.

9. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I still have my Toshiba HD-A1 but it is back in its original box just incase the newer HD-XA2 dies! I have to admit that it doesn't get used very much but I have it if I want to watch a movie on HD-DVD.

10. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Still got my HD-A1. I still use it occasionally, especially when I want to get some Serenity in as a guilty pleasure movie. Once in a while I also use it for SD-DVDs, but sometimes it will downgrade to 480p so I usually use the Magnavox Blu-Ray player as it pretty much upscales SD-DVDs to 1080i.

11. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    I'm on my third HD-DVD player. I bought the first one at Wal Mart when they were discontinued - I needed a new DVD player anyway, it was $75 and I could get HD discs for cheap since Blu had just won.I used it a lot less once I got Blu and the player was always fussy, it was a base 2nd gen 1080i only player (A2?) which was fine because I had a 26" CRT HD set that didn't do 1080p.It died and I got one that did 1080p, (A20?) and I again used it sporadically - mostly for Sneakers. After a while it would have audio problems i stopped fooling with it, and at some point I did some checking and saw the general audio failure of that model.At that point it was, 3rd player or trash it all? I found an XA2 (I think? the originally $1k player) on eBay locally, came with 20 discs and I got them down to $90 since I would come pick it up.This is the player I'll keep forever hopefully. It's solid, plays everything perfectly, and it's the DVD upscaling champ of all time. I couldn't believe how good the old MTM show discs looked on that player.

12. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    I keep my old Toshiba HD-DVD player in the Home Theatre, permanently wired up and ready to go. (Along with my Pioneer Laserdisc player)
    Unfortunately I haven't run it for well over a year.
    After reading this thread I think I'll dust it off and give it a run. :)

My early, smallish collection of HD-DVD discs exploded when the system was disbanded.
    I had a feast buying all of the incredibly dirt cheap bargains that became available.
    I think I only paid about $10 for the "Star Trek" season one ( brand new ) Luxurious10 disc box set.

There are still some titles that have yet to appear on Blu-Ray.

13. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I just rewatched The Sting on my HD-DVD player a few weeks ago. Since the Blu-ray of the movie got such lousy reviews, I've stuck with the HD version. I have about twenty HD-DVDs which get routed through the player when I'm in the mood to watch them.

14. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Does anyone else have a Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player and a Pioneer Elite SC-05? I have tried changing setting to get the reciever to decode Dolby Digital Plus with no sucess. The HD-A1 did not stream it ether and I have downloaded a Dolby Digital Plus demo from Dolby and when I play that file off a usb drive plugged into my Denon DBP-1611UD the Dolby + lights up so I know the reciever is decoding it. Is there something I am missing that is causing the Dolby Digital Plus from the HD-DVD not to stream to the receiver and get decoded there? The thing is if I choose Dolby Digital Plus on HD-DVD the receiver shows PCM even though I do not have it set to send it PCM to the receiver.
    View attachment 12736
    View attachment 12737
    View attachment 12738
    View attachment 12739

15. RJ992

RJ992 Second Unit

Joel
    I still use mine. Not only for HD-DVD discs (and I have not had a problem with any disc from any studio) but mostly for standard DVDs. Even with a 4K-upscaling BD player. my A35 HD-DVD player displays a stronger video image on standard discs.

16. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I only use my HD-DVD for HD-DVD even the 2nd generation player takes to long to boot up compared to the newer Blu-ray players. For SD DVD I play those on my upscaling Denon 1611ud blu-ray and my Samsung UN55F9000 4K UHD upscales the 1080p to 4K.

Sources:
    Direct TV HD-DVR Genie
    Denon DBP-1611 UD
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    View attachment 8373
    View attachment 12086

17. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

I decided I'd like to buy the obsolete format 2 years ago and won it on ebay for £70.00.

Toshiba HD-E30 and some 42 titles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LASERDISC PAL

[​IMG]

HD-DVD

[​IMG]

LASERDISC PAL

[​IMG]

HD-DVD

[​IMG]

LASERDISC PAL

[​IMG]

HD-DVD

[​IMG]
    LASERDISC PAL

[​IMG]

HD-DVD

[​IMG]

High tech thermal detector or is it really a RadioShack SPL db metre.

[​IMG]

STAR TREK HD-DVD first season sadly. :mellow:

[​IMG]

Played some episodes on the projector at 1080i.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some on the CRT 28" Sony.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The camera was set at slow shutter speed and created this effect that I liked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, yes green woman.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Is there any sort of "blue book" (ironic pun) value guide to HD-DVD players and discs?

I've been sitting on my Toshiba HD-A2 for years now. I don't think I've run it for four years. Firmware updated but I'd have to check the rev.

Discs would include Planet Earth and the 5 disc Blade Runner.

My dear sister "waffled" on whether she wanted it for FREE for a year or two back when the war ended. She finally said "no". :rolleyes:

19. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Picked Full Metal Jacket, cheap at the market.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. andySu

andySu Cinematographer