What's new

who here wants trailers in oar restored and in original sound. (1 Viewer)

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
nough said.

"bad trailers"

the rock criteron

t2 ue

theres something about mary

scary movie

rat race.

who wants a pettition (also, put them in anamorphic.)

"Good trailers"

rush hour 1 and 2

lord of the rings-the fellowship of the ring (easter egg on rush hour 2)

nightmare on elm street

all scream movies

a knights tale

the terminator

who wants a petition.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
This would mean that the studios would have to recall DVD's just to replace the trailer.

Sorry, trailers are an important feature on DVD, but not important enough to make me want to send in my DVD for a replacement.

The only reason why I'd want a replacement DVD would be either there's a defect or if there's damage to the disc.

The main reason why trailers aren't always perfect has to do with the fact that trailers are usually not taken care of. Combine with the fact that trailers are not manufactured with the same care given to the actual movie and also they're destroyed save for the occasional archival print...

In fact, old trailers usually get used as leaders in theaters since the studios want them to be sent back or thrown away.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Trailer should be anamorphic and 5.1 (not counting TV ads) all the time...but I seriously hope you don't start a petition.

BradyB

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a trailer fanatic, and it really makes me mad when they put a horrible trailer on the DVD. If they are going to put that much effort into creating the trailer at least put the nice version on the DVD.

I'd sign your petition

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Trailers sometimes have differering ARs from the original films. And very few are mixed for Dolby Digital surround. Most are mixed for stereo surround and the older trailers are either stereo or mono.

I'd just prefer they be anamorphic when possible.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
What OAR? The movie's or the trailer's?

Trailers are often reproduced in both flat and scope, regardless of the advertised film's AR, to better mate with the film it is being shown before. So in that respect there is no OAR for the trailer.

And not every trailer is produced with 5.1 sound, even today. Often there's just not the time or advertising budget to mix the trailer that well. Sure, they may be encoded digitally, but sometimes are just bland stereo mixes. It really depends on the studio releasing it.

And, honestly, I'm not that passionate about how the trailer is presented. Sure, many times they're a novelty to see (the original Star Wars for a good laugh), but I don't know if it's worth the time and expense to restore these things.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
really, all I see nowdays is petition, after petition, after petition. There must be 15 petition threads on the first page of the software section.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
the trailer. i hate when if a trailer is very loud in the theater, we have to suffer through a soft mono or stereo trailer. if you want a reference quality trailer, i highly suggest the lord of the rings trailers on rush hour 2.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Actually, every major studio's trailers (since roughly 1997) are in 5.1- they can't encode Dolby Digital on film to decode in pro-logic like they can on video (but they can decide not to use every channel, like Woody Allen's film use only the center channel). 99% of trailers will have the music left out of the center channel, which makes for a neat effect- when I worked as a projectionist I would always watch the trailers from upstairs with the booth monitors set to play only the center channel. There was a period when almost all trailers were only in analog mono for a while though (1993-96). I have literally hundreds of 35mm trailers in boxes from the past 10 years at my parents' house; can't wait til I can get my own projector!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks