What's new

Who hates shaving? (1 Viewer)

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Yes shaving sucks!

For sensitive skin like mine, I had to resort to electric many years ago. The manual caused much irritation and cuts under the chin area. Even with the electric, it's difficult to shave under the chin area.

I agree with many who suggest to shave before showering, esp. for electric unless you have wetdry combo.

Equipment: Braun Integral Flex Control.

:D

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
Add one more to the list of those who hate shaving. My problem with shaving has more to do with in-grown hairs in my neck, under the chin area rather than actual irritation.

I have tried everything, shaving before the shower, in the shower, after the shower, using hot water, cold water. The problem is so annoying and frustrating that I've even been to 3 different dermatologists to find a solution!

After a long and hard search, trying products and methods from all over the world (I used a shaving cream made in Australia with Emu butter - no lie!!!), contemplated electrolysis (very expensive and the thought of not having any beard or shadow grow in was very unappealing), I have found that The art of shaving products have drastically reduced the amount of in-grown hairs and irritation on my neck and face. The products are not cheap, but they do last a long time (I shave every day and the shaving cream lasts at least 8-9 months) and in my opinion well worth the expense.

The key for me is I shave after I shower with a Mach III, and a must is the pre-shave oil and after shave lotion (alcohol free). This combination makes shaving much smoother and my skin less irritated.

Good luck in your search for help, I think everyone is different and what works for me may not work for you. I can sympathize with you (as it seems most of us in this thread can as well ;) ) and know what you're going through.

Pete

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Re: the Mach 3: so far I have found these in four packs selling for nearly $7.00, which is $1.75 per. I was sent a sample of this product and only got four shaves out of the cartridge, which translates to about 45 cents a whack. Seems pretty steep to me...

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm crackin' up. i guess this is one benefit of being asian.

heck, i can probably go three days without too much worry. even if i do try to grow a moustache, the only thing i get is that "fu man chu" look.

i also have ZERO chest hair...well, excpet for that one hair that keeps coming out of my nipple, but we'll just leave that for another thread.

ducks as other members throw rotten eggs at me....

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
The most important part of that article that I'm sure most will overlook is right down at the very bottom:
[/b]
In other words, "the study found no link between shaving habits and health, but we'll fudge the data and see if we can release a finding anyway." :rolleyes

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Dave's shaving tip: Don't shave after you've been drinking!

I once was getting ready to go out to a party, had a beer, hit the shower, and decided to shave. Well, the alcohol brought all my blood to the surface and I looked like I had lost a fight with a cat when I was done shaving!

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Good God, I never dreamed I would get so many replies to this thread! I figured there would probably be many guys here in the same boat as me, but I didn't expect such an enormous response. Funny how when I have a serious question about some technical HT issue I'll be lucky to get 10 replies, but something like this gets tons of feedback. Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and advice - I definitely have some more ideas of what to try now.

Petey:
I have read very good things about the Art of Shaving products - it may be something for me to look into. Thanks for reminding me about them. Also, how much was the estimate for electrolysis? I'm just curious because I haven't been able to find any information about it. Did you just ask about your throat, or your face, too?

Thanks again to everyone for your ideas.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
i guess this is one benefit of being asian.
speak for yourself, buddy! :D

I've managed a reasonably full goatee (with moustache of course). having said that, I can't grow a full beard, the sides are too sparse.

I must say though that Ted's experience is more in line with most of my friends here, I seem to be one of the exceptions. which I used to say was one of the reasons I grew the goatee, "because I can"... :D

(I know Americans tend to use the term "Asian" to mean Orientals, but to a Brit, it usually means of Indian descent, and he'd get pretty confused, seeing as most of our Indian friends can grow very impressive beards...)

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I can only use an electric shaver and that's usually every 3-4 days. I'll be 34 in April and it still takes me that long to grow a 5 0'clock shadow.

Luckly my job doesn't require a clean face everyday otherwise my face would like mince meat.

My tip is make sure you use an exfoliant on your face one to two times a week to prevent ingrown hairs.

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
Re: the Mach 3: so far I have found these in four packs selling for nearly $7.00, which is $1.75 per. I was sent a sample of this product and only got four shaves out of the cartridge, which translates to about 45 cents a whack. Seems pretty steep to me...
Dick I agree 100% - this is one of my biggest problems with shaving every day is the cost of the damn razors!! Not to mention, in NY (where everything is more expensive) a pack of 4 goes for $8.00!:angry:

I was only saying that the Art of Shaving products (not the Mach 3 razors) were expensive, but somewhat reasonable when you figure out how long they last.

Pete

EugeneR

Second Unit
I'll chime in: I used to shave with a blade, and could only shave with the grain. If I shaved against the grain, my skin would get instantly irritated, bumpy, the razor would shave the bumps off and I would look like someone just cut my throat. I had to be content with just shaving with the grain, which as you can imagine only gave me a reasonable shave.

I recently bought a Norelco electric wet/dry shaver with the lotion dispenser (the one that had that "what is that goo?" commercial). I love it. I use it in the shower not with the lotion but plain old shaving gel, and it works great. It took two-three weeks for my skin to get used to an electric and not become irritated, but now I get a very close shave, and my skin fees fine. Worth a try.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
My vote is for the Mach3 razor, using a brush and soap. I used to use a straight razor, which was wonderful but took a long time to use (don't want to rush with a 4" blade!). Only with the grain, any other way and my face gets angry at me. I use the hot washcloth trick as well, it's been good for me. If you are going to do it, make sure it is a HOT washcloth, not just warm.

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
HAHA I will chime in I HATE shaving what a pain int he A**! I always end of cutting myself and bleeding grrr.

On a side note thank GOD i am not a female LOL....shaving armpits,legs,and uhhh "down there"(AWWWW). I once had a girl ask me to shave the private area, but that quickly changed when she saw the look of HORROR on my face :)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
This is a truly interesting thread we have here! :)

I simply gave up the whole shaving bit years ago. Both razor blades and electric shavers turn my skin into something that resembles hamburger meat. Luckily, my beard and mustache aren't rough to the touch. In fact, when I was going out with my previous girlfriend, I tried shaving my face once. But after feeling my face she said "grow it back!" A totally opposite reaction to what is the norm!

To keep the beard in check, I simply use electric hair clippers. I've yet to find a legitimate beard trimmer that could do a decent job. Also, I don't perform any extra grooming on my face. My beard and mustache are already reasonably balanced and behaved. Every two or three weeks, I snap the 1/8" spacer on the clippers and run it all over my face. Done in 5 minutes! No muss, no fuss!

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
I'm in the same boat as most of the replies here, if I shave everyday my face looks I should be in a slasher flick. I've tried all manners of shaving creams and gels, electrics, shaving in the shower, etc. to no avail. The only thing I've found that helps is using Palmolvive dish soap instead of shaving cream. That's right, Palmolive. Use it like shaving gel and smear a [very] thick lather of it on your face. Palmolive has moisturizer in it to keep your skin from drying out too much so don't substitute a different brand. You'll probably also want to stop washing your face with any other kind of soap to avoid dryness. I know this sounds whacky, but it actually helps. I still can't shave everyday though, have to limit it to every other day. I've been toying with the idea of trying vegetable oil too.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
To all Mach 3 and other similar razor users:
How long does each blade last you? Do you replace right when the little "lubrication strip" wears out, or do you use it after this little strip is gone?

I've found that the strip only lasts a few days, but the blades remain sharp enough for nearly two weeks of use.

Tony_Woods

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a thick beard but shaving doesn't really bother me. I shave after I get out of the shower with my Mach 3. My remedies for a smooth shave: exfoliate in the shower, and use hair conditioner instead of shaving cream - really.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks