What's new

Who hates shaving? (1 Viewer)

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Well I can join the club (I think) except it's not my face I hate shaving (obviously). I hate shaving my legs for the same reasons you hate shaving your face. And no, I can't skip a day because that causes even further irritation.

I'm seriously contemplating getting laser hair removal. I am a very good candidate (light skin with very coarse dark hairs). It's pricy, though, somewhere around a few grand. But I'm only 22 and if it can spare me heartache for the rest of my life, I think it'll be money well spent. Might be something to think about for yourself. If you're interested, most cosmetic surgeons will offer a free consultation.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I guess I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. I use a Mach 3 and shave in the shower, which helps a lot (as opposed to in the sink). I currrently have a full beard (during the winter, though I still shave my neck). Usually I have a goatee (in fashion or not, I think I look better with one). I shave about twice a week, starting with downstrokes and then upstrokes and sort of sideways to get those pesky spots.

I don't really mind it. It reminds me that I'm an adult now. :laugh: At 27 no less.

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Count me in. I am in the lucky position that I have brown-blonde hair so two or three days without shaving is possible. If I am in a relationship I need to shave at least every 2nd day or the significant other will torture me with love withdrawal as my hair is pretty thick.

I used to shave with a Mach3 but my skin reacts much better to my Wilkinson Protector 3D. I tried some Gilette gels, though at the moment I am using Nivea shaving cream, didn't find the perfect solution for me yet. My after shave is Nivea sensitve, which I am quite happy with.
Never tried to shave myself in the shower (like most of you here, right afterwards, not much of a choice with thick hair), perhaps I should give it a try.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
If you figure out the direction(s) of the grain, it will save you a lot of irritation. Unless you really need a skin-tight shave, do not shave against the grain. Shaving with the grain takes off about 85% of the whisker. Of course, if you have dark hair and a noticeable shadow, you may need to lather up again and go against the grain to get that last 15%.

I've tried the Mach3, but found that it's too big for my liking (it's hard to get the nooks and crannies under the nose). I use Sensor Excel.

I also recommend shaving creams by a company called Alba Botanica (they have a website). I discovered them on my honeymoon in Maui. There are four varieties; mango vanilla is my favorite.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I love shaving. My wife bought me a straight razor a couple Christmases ago, and shaving with it is a big thrill for me. Unfortunately, I haven't shaved with it, or anything else, in quite a while. I started working from home several months ago, and since I didn't have to go into the office, I quit shaving. My beard and hair grew out. When I switched positions and was going to have to go back into the office, I shaved off my beard. This really spooked my daughter (about 11 months when I did it), so I regrew the beard.

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
This thread is hilarious.
:D
I'm not laughing at everyone's irritation...
but the fact that I'm almost opposite.

I actually wish that I had more facial hair,
and to have it grow out evenly.

The annoyance with shaving for me, is the fact
that my moustache hair and chin hair is not full
enough to grow out.

So it looks stupid when it grows out. Almost a teenager-like attempt to grow facial hair.
:angry:

So I shave every two days. Aside from that, hair on the sides of my face is really light... so I only need to shave it once a week or two.
:D

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Every TWO DAYS??????
GET OUUUUUUUUUUTTT!!!!
:laugh:

just jealous, that's all.
For those of us with heavy beards, the waiting
makes it worse.
If i DONT shave, i'm in for a real bloody and itchy time, on my next go.

LewB

Screenwriter
Nivea makes a men's aftershave 'balm' with no alcohol in it, it's very soothing. I highly recommend it. It's a bit pricey at around $6 a bottle but worth it. I have a heavy beard (5 o'clock shadow around noon :angry: ) and gave up on blade shaving except for special occasions. The electric is good enough to get me thru a normal day. My father used to put a coat of noxzema on his face before the shave cream. I guess today's gels accomplish the same effect.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I'm not a huge fan of shaving. I use to shave maybe once or twice a week. I could care less about the stubble growing all over my face. I used an old Braun electric razor and had to finish off some spots with a Mach 3. So you could see why I hated it... to get the best results I need both electric and manual.

My old Braun died and I replaced it with the Braun Syncro System, model 7680. I no longer need the manual razor, and I shave a bit more often, every 2 days or less. I look at it as being just another one of my electronic geek toys, but a useful one :)

Mike D.

DeT

Agent
I usually shave before I went to sleep, that way I don't feel the burning the next day. If I shave in the morning, I would feel the burning on my face for the whole day.

matt bee

Stunt Coordinator
Grrrr, shaving sucks.

I've tried just about every razor out there to no avail. I've tried many different shaving gels, shaving in the shower, after the shower, whatever. Razors just tear the doodoo out of my face. Electric razors never did much better, plus they don't shave as close. Finally one day I read that it helps to put baby powder on your face before using an electric razor. It helped out a lot, and I can shave every day now without much irritation. Problem is, I have to shave every day or the hair gets too thick for the electric.

I wish I could use a regular razor, though, as it's faster and does a more thorough job.

I read in Men's Health Magazine recently that using a shaving brush can help pull up the hairs before shaving to make it easier, so I may try that at at some point.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Let me join the club. I shave every other day because my skin just gets red with irritation if I shave too much. Usually the most sensitive part is my neck. Every time I go in for a haircut and the barber uses the straight razor to clean up the sideburns, they remark about the roughness of my beard. What's really annoying is I basically have to plan out when I want to shave, based on when I think I'm gonna be out with the ladies :p)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Oh man, I forgot the best thing I used to use. A couple people have mentioned Noxzema, and that's what reminded me. I used to use just regular Noxzema cream to shave. It numbs the skin and is a great razor lubricant. But it has to be Noxzema brand - regular. I've tried the other "flavors" of Noxzema, and my wife always tried to save some money by getting the generic brands, but none of them worked as well as good old regular Noxzema, the stuff in the jar.

But then one day I ran out and used my wife's gel, then I went and bought some Edge gel at Costco and haven't been back to Noxzema. I do miss the Noxzema though. I'll think I'll go back soon.

And to answer your question about the soap I use, it's a Mary Kay facial soap for men. My wife used to sell Mary Kay, and I still have a bar left over. Actually, it's almost a sliver by now, so I don't know what I'm going to use next.

I've tried Mary Kay's shaving cream for men and I wasn't all that impressed.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I, too, have a fairly heavy beard with sensitive skin. Let me recommend the OPPOSITE of what many posters have suggested: shave BEFORE you shower.

My morning routine is to use a washcloth (folded twice) and hot water to wet my cheeks and neck - open the pores, soften the whiskers. I then shave, and THEN jump in the shower. For me, it seems to lessen the irritation my skin feels (and shows), especially my neck.

Also, I almost always nick myself shaving. Shaving BEFORE showering lets the nicks bleed out; by the time you're done showering, the cuts are clean and bled out.

Shaving DURING the shower seems to irritate my skin more than anything. Not sure why.

Because I exercise in the morning, I've tried shaving at night to reduce the time I need the next morning to get ready for work. Try that, along with using a washcloth to "prep" your face.

I can't make a specific razor recommendation, but I do notice a HUGE difference if I use shaving cream or a gel. Gel makes my skin burn; traditional shaving cream (especially those made for sensitive skin) feel much better.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
I had a friend who believed that if he NEVER shaved, he would never have to. And it turned out to be true, his beard/mustache never grew in. Except for a few stray hairs, which for some reason he never clipped short, so his face was totally smooth besides a 1" hair here and there.

Myself, I use the Mach 3 (with Kiehl's Ultimate Brushless Shave Cream). For some reason, the blades last forever. I'm talking months. I'm a stay-at-home dad, so I don't have the need to shave every day as when I worked in an office, and I find I get a smoother shave when I let my whiskers grow out a little. I've had beards, a Van Dyke, and now sport a goatee. I briefly flirted with using a straight razor, but holding it to my throat scared the hell out of me.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I am another who doesn't like to shave, it's an irratating burden.

I tried an electric razor but getting that close of a shave makes my skin kind of raw for a little while not to mention you pretty much have to shave everyday with those. Some say it takes 30 days for your skin to get used to an electric but I just don't want to put that much time in.

I do shave in the shower and that makes it much better but my skin isn't that sensitive and my hair is not that thick. I used to have a beard in the winter time just so I only had to shave about 4 square inches but since I shave in the shower now, there isn't a great deal of clean up so I haven't grown one this year.

I shave between 2-4 times a week depending on where I have to go. At 27, I am lucky that I work in a Machine Shop and appearance means little, especially since it is just me and my dad. I sometimes would only shave once a week for church but I have been shaving more now since I have been going to places where I don't want to look like a bum.

I hate trying to get the hair on my throat b/c it grows an odd direction and I seem to always nick my neck trying to get it. I don't know why.

Todd K

Second Unit
I agree with Michael Martin -- shave before you shower.

I used to do the washcloth trick, too. But then one day recently, I for some reason decided to just stick my whole face under the bathroom faucet, one section at a time -- for about 20-30 seconds a piece.

I think it softens up the whiskers a little better than just a washcloth. But I'd take care to shut the door, because I'm sure I look like an idiot with my face in the sink.

Shaving before the shower is also smart because you can wash off any little cuts you give yourself.

I've never actually tried shaving in the shower, because I live in an apartment with a small hot water tank. Sadly, I'd run out of hot water before I was done with the whole thing.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Isn't a bit of scruff the style these days? :)

I'm 22, and have been using a Norelco electric shaver for about 5 years. It worked fairly well for me, but if I tried to shave extra close or more than once a day, it would irritate the crap out of my neck. I'd get those little red shaving bumps.

Just recently, I switched to the Mach 3 razor and Edge gell. My first time with this razor, I shaved once with the grain, then a few more times against the grain. I cut the crap out of my face, and it was sore for two days afterwords. I decided that my face probably needed to "get used" to the new razor, so since then I've been only shaving with the grain. It's not as close as my electric, but not nearly as irritating. I haven't been kissing any girls lately ( :frowning: ), so I don't know if I'm getting close enough. If the kissing ever does happen, and she complains, I'll try going against the grain.

I still occasionally just let it go for 2-4 days at a time. I think the scruffy look looks good on me, but a full beard would make me look...um...goofy. So, do women dig the scruffy, yet not bearded look? It seems to me that more of the male models/actors that women are swooning over have this look.

Leila:
I'm seriously contemplating getting laser hair removal.
I think that's probably a great idea for women, but I think guys would like to leave their options open. Sometime down the road, it might be fashionable to grow some type of facial hair (it's also a macho/ego thing). I think it's a safe bet that hairy female legs won't be a fashion trend anytime soon! :) I hear more and more about guys shaving/waxing their bodies too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks