What's new

Who has Dolby Digital, but not DTS (i.e. do we need both 5.1's on a disc?) (1 Viewer)

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Although my player can pass along DTS, I still am DD only. I would hate it if the DD 5.1 tracks were elminated.

However, I will itching for a new receiver and speakers as soon as the stock market picks up bit. Maybe then I will feel differently. Or not.

If there is anything that is a space waster it is those P&S versions that hog a lot of bits. Now those have got to go.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Man I thought I was the last one who upgraded to DTS,though I vent to DTS ES straight,and yes it's worth it IMO.Phil is right though,it took me 4 years to finally take the plunge,however I already bought 2 receivers this year,and just reserved the Outlaw 950 pre/pro;)

Ken Stokes

Agent
OK I can't resist jumping in here. I have what might be a considered a decent system. For many years I only had DD and looked forward to adding DTS. Now that I have it all I can say is, what's the big deal? Most of the DTS tracks are recorded louder and emphasize the bass information. If you equalize the volume levels there is little difference for the most part. The only two discs that I found a remarkable difference on were Saving Private Ryan and JP.

On the other hand I do think that the DTS music CDs offer substantial improvement and have added something to my system. Just my observations.

Ken

Aerial LR5s

Aerial CC5

Aerial SW3s

Theta Dreadnaught

Integra RDC-7

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Again, my reasoning is that having both is slightly redundant, (especially on Superbit titles).
I agree, but I'd propose a different solution: drop the DTS track. In most cases, I've found it to be a waste of space and a marketing ploy.

M.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If it meant that properly mastered/mixed, non-dumbed down soundtrack discs with full bitrate DTS 24/96 5.1 (new format) and full bitrate DTS-ES 24/48 Discrete 6.1 popped back into the market then if I had a Dolby Digital only setup-- of course I'd upgrade to DTS!
Oh, you wanted people's opinions who only had DD to begin with. Sorry. ;)
Dan

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Well, until a month ago, I was Dolby Digital only. I couldn't see spending any money to replace my $1200 Pioneer VSX-906S that was working perfectly fine. Sure, the newer features would be nice, but not necessary.

Then one day I started having volume control issues (sticking), so I started looking around and ended up with a new receiver with DTS.

I still think there should be both tracks whenever possible. I wish that had been the case back when I was buying the bulk of my DVDs. I had to specifically make sure it wasn't a DTS version. Now that I can play either, it would be nice to have the choice on these older disks I've purchased, instead of having to buy yet another version.

-Seth

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
Using commercial-grade equipment, both DTS and Dolby Labs proved to the motion picture industry that their systems could reproduce movie soundtracks with no perceptible difference from the pcm masters. A DD 5.1 track, properly mixed, will sound the same as a properly mixed DTS 5.1 track. What we need is for the studios and dvd producers to take more care with the DD track.

Please note, I am not advocating that we drop DTS. It is vital, if only to keep Dolby on their toes. To this end, we should note that there is increasing pressure on commercial interests to drop what they consider to be a redundant DTS. This feeling is engendered by the fact that the standards require only DD for multi-channel dvd-movies and HDTV.

Marty

RyanL

Stunt Coordinator
I too can only decode DD, not DTS, but I like the versatility that I can have on DVD's and choose DD for now, but when I upgrade, then I don't need to buy new discs that have DTS. I have compared both and do personally prefer DTS over DD.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
First off, let me start by saying that I do agree both versions or formats (DD & DTS) should be available, albeit, on separate discs for less compression. Extras should also be on separate discs whenever possible.

And now to the hornets nest. As for DTS, I am a believer. Obviously there are many factors that change the eventual outcome of a disc ie. different masters, individual tastes/preference while mixing it etc etc. I also believe that the hardware is probably going to make all the difference in the world, so much so, it should probably be even mentioned whilst stating these preferences, for or against.... Much like the SuperBit debate, I believe there is pretty convincing evidence showing they are indeed superior. Personally, I didn't spend the amount of money I did, to simply have a disc released that was qualified as "good enough". I want the best material available, even if I have to pay a couple of extra bucks per disc to get it. Each time we upgrade, we're striving for the best possible improvement available. Gradually we reach a point where those improvements become less noticeable. Personally, I don't believe the DTS format is a "less noticeable" upgrade. To put things into perspective; are you going to achieve more satisfaction from a 3K speaker upgrade.....? Absolutely.

And without getting into the compression bitrates data comparison.... ever ask yourself why MOST of the discs why we seem to refer to here as "reference demo discs" are DTS releases? eg. Titan AE, The Haunting, Jurassic Park, The Eagles Hell Freezes Over, U571, Dances with Wolves, Antz, Saving Private Ryan and most recently Pearl Harbor & Jurassic Park III. Food for though!!

Just my thoughts!

Herb.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks