What's new

Who Has A Cell Phone? (1 Viewer)

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
In addition to it being required for my job, I still couldn't live without my wireless phone. I'm only home to sleep or watch movies really loud, so cell phone is the only way to contact me.

I think certain age groups are more "addicted" to cell phones than others. Being 23, most of my friends live very active lifestyles, and all of them have cell phones. It's the only way to stay in touch.

Working for a major wireless provider also has its perks!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Jeff Gatie, Sounds good, but I don't use my cell phone except for emergencies (And by emergencies, I mean 911 emergencies not the I forgot the ice cream at the grocery store emergencies ;)). The only time I put money in my account, is for vacations, like I just bought a $50 phone card for a trip to maine coming up, but other than that, I just use it just in case some bozo hits me when I bike to work or something.

My friend was looking at prepaid phones and when I went to ATT's website, I saw their info on the GoPhone, I thought it was a replacement for the prepaid phone until I saw the monthly fee which put me off on it. I'm not a person who would use a cell phone that much and if I was, I would go with one phone and use that rather than have a landline and a cell phone.

Jay

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i've gone through quite a few cell phones in the past six or seven years -- starting with the motorola flip-phone to my current v60.

while i find cell-phones useful, i must admit that i rarely remember to turn it on. even if i do i always end up leaving it in my car. :rolleyes:most of my friends don't understand why i even have one. they always get irrirated with me cuz they can't get a hold of me.

i've *never* gone over my minutes - not once...that's how infrequently i use the thing. i guess i just like having the security that if i get into a jam i can call someone.

the only thing i ask is that you be careful using it if you're driving. i've seen more people do stupid stuff while driving and talking than just about anywhere else.

Shane Bos

Second Unit
I don't use my cell phone except for emergencies (And by emergencies, I mean 911 emergencies not the I forgot the ice cream at the grocery store emergencies ).
I'm not sure if it's the same in the US as in Canada but up here you don't even need an active cell phone to call 911. Any cell phone active or not is able to connect to 911. We also pay 25cents every month on every phone in the country landline or cellular to have that service.

I have a Motorola C333 with Rogers AT&T. $35/month for 175 min plus free eve/weekend.

I need a new toaster mine is crap. It's a 4 slice toaster and no matter the setting it either burns the toast or barely warms the bread. It's approx 1.5 years old now. My old toaster worked perfect for many many years.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Shane, it's the same in the US, which is why I carry my phone around. It's a prepaid phone that I hardly ever put money in it. So far, I haven't had to use it but it's good to know it's there. If there is really a need to make a non-emergency phone call and there is no other phone in the area and I have my CC with me, I can add money to my account with the CC.

Jay

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I want to join--but I don't have a toaster. I have a toaster oven, but was thinking of replacing it with a toaster.
My toaster has a built in cell phone :D

Now a days all cell phones are pretty descent. It used to be (when they first came out), there'd be phones you'd want to avoid, but I think the only thing you need to figure out is "which features do you want" and not "which is the better phone".

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I'm 28 now and I have had a cell phone since the bag phones of high school. When I got my license at 16 I got a hand-me-down phone to keep in my car for emergencies. Have had one ever since.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
I've had mine for about a year and have learned never to sign a 2-year contract. My SO & I got a shared minutes plan, and calls to each other don't count against minutes. I don't talk on the phone much, but I've enjoyed the convenience of having it.

Problem is, there's virtually no coverage at my house (or for 1-2 miles in any direction from my house) in spite of being smack dab in the middle of my local calling area. I'd love to drop the landline and just use the cells, but can't do it.

When the contract is up next year, I'll be looking for a carrier, and making sure I can get a trial period during which I can cancel the contract, just to be sure I've got sufficient coverage at home and in my neighborhood.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I just happened to have my 1st cell phone from 1991. It's the "Bag Phone" version. The antenna is HUGE and the battery is four times the size of my current cell phone :eek:

My company did a presentation about "Old vs. New Technology" so I brought my phone in to be photographed. Here's a picture of it:
My First Cell Phone

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I got one about 5 months ago and it does come in handy, if I am on the internet, or if I am lost, or need to pick something up. It's also good for not answering my regular phone, that way the people that I want to talk to would just call me on my cell phone. Also, if I get stuck in a conversation I can't get out of, I will use my cell phone to call my home and say "I gotta go, somebodies on the other line."

Right now I am taking care of my mom so she can call me if she needs me to get something or if I am at her house and don't want to use her phone.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I got my first cell tell while buying a new truck in '93. My wife had one before I did; she gots hers in '92 while entering college.

As others here have stated, I really hate talking on any phone. However I've always had a love for telephones and cellular phones. In some ways I'm still more intrigued by my first phone (a bag phone) than I am by my Duramax.

Speaking of dropping your phone and it still working, my Duramax is probably the toughest phone I've ever owned.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Well, it's a revelation to me that cellphones were actually available in 1991. I clicked onto that photo--reminds me of how cumbersome camcorders were in the early '80s. I really didn't start noticing cellphones until 1998 or so, when it seemed that everyone I saw on the street were having conversations with themselves. So far I'm very pleased with my Siemens S46, and am glad their website has an interactive tutorial. :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's a revelation to me that cellphones were actually available in 1991.
Actually, I thought I was late in getting a cell phone back in '91.

Not that I really remember call phone in the 80's, but remember the short lived "80's show" where the guy was talking on the cell phone and saying something like "No! It's a portable phone! It's only $4.00 per minute" :laugh:

I think cell phone even go back to the 70's, but the early 90's was when they just started becoming really popular.

After having a cell phone for 12 years, I actually feel lost if I forget to bring it with me...Not that I use it that much, but the sense of security (when I have it on me) is really lost when I don't have it (especially with the long commute I have to work).

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
When I first got my bag phone what really annoyed me was that it had a tendency to pull that 800mHz RF into the cab of my truck interfering with my stereo.

That was stopped by getting one of those Ori external antenna's with it's through the glass mount. It also had about a 5 db gain and it really seemed to improve the reception.

In some ways I really miss analog cell phones. I had a hand held analog phone later and it wasn't really that big or heavy.

I've long since changed providers and the phone is deactivated but it still works for calling a local radio station with a free call.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Yes, that's what the red text (on the bag) says. It sounds SO advanced, doesn't it?
Hmmm I didn't notice the red writing on the bag. But the SR Superstore here in Louisiana (later mutated into Campo and went bust) had a lot of promotions featuring that phone. Novatel was another popular phone in this area.

My wife always had Motorola's (one bag and later a car mount) and her mom still has one of those mounted in her car.
Mine was a Bellsouth sometin or nother.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I checked on cell phone history and was amazed to read that AT&T first lobbied the FCC for signal allocation re "mobile telephones" in 1947!! Nothing happened until 1968 along these lines, and then the first true cell phone network appeared around 1982. The internet is such a font of information. :D

Devin U

Second Unit
Man, I remember those bag phones. Never had one myself, but a friend did. I remember sitting aroound the pool at 12 with the bag phone, trying to impress the ladies. My first phone was one of those brick phones. It weighed like 3 pounds, but I could keep it in my back pocket, except I had to wear a belt, or my pants would fall down. I later had one of those first gen flip phones. Also remember my first plan. It was like 30 min a month for $40, and any overage was like 1.00 a minute!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks