What's new

Who got Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? (1 Viewer)

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Just found the layer change. It's rather glaringly obvious and distracting, near the end of episode 4..

You'd think they could fit it in between episodes somewhere...

Bryan

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going one more place to look, then I'm ordering it if I can't find it there. Fry's, BB, CC all carry some pretty stupid titles but can't get this on the shelf?

Jimmy M

Second Unit
My copy did indeed come with the index card, but I hadn't thought to look at it. :b I was just going from that the menu said on the screen.

Jimmy!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I finally threw in the towel and ordered it from deepdiscountdvd. And even they don't have it in stock. What an odd situation - were the marketing people listening to Vogon poetry or something?

CharlesD

Screenwriter
were the marketing people listening to Vogon poetry or something?
The marketing people will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes! :)
I pre-ordered mine through a certain on line retailer and got my copy somewhat early :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yay! BB finally got some in!
At 2:30 this afternoon, an hour left to go before quitting time (my shift is 6:30-3:30; 8 hours!), I was in desperate need of yuks and called BB to see if it had shown up. 2 copies arrived yesterday, and were shelved in Comedy. He hung up before I could ask him to hold one, but it was just an hour, right?
Well, *2* hours later I'm finally done filling my boss's new requirements for the day, and I'm off up the street! Collect the wife, then the kid, gas up and we're at BB!
Got the last copy...whew!
Hey, BTW: didn't I read on HTF that this was to be a cardboard digipak? Not that I'm complaining, but it was in a double-wide keepcase (similar to The Abyss or the four Vault Disney releases). :emoji_thumbsup:

M

MaxY

Well I found mine at Best Buy yesterday.
Dave,
What do you mean by "cardboard digipack"?
I did notice that the Cover and everything in the case seems backwards and I was wondering if it was intentional or just a mistake on my package. I mean it is easy enough to take out the cover and flip it around but if they did it to all of them as humor I would not fix it. :)
Max

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Mine was not backwards.
Cardboard digipak is like Fight Club, Close Encounters, etc.
Like ST:TNG, but HHGTTG is only 2 discs! :)

Oliver Kopp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver
This is a picture of the limited R2 box set. The discs have the same content but the packaging is cool :)
B0000647VU.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

M

MaxY

Maybe it was an infinite improbablity that they got all the covers in right so I got mine in backwards then. :)
Guess I will flip the voer to make things right.
Max

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I found it today at Borders for $34.99 - 20% off coupon that was sitting on the checkout counter last month... good deal :)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I'm disappointed that neither Best Buy nor Borders has a tool on their website to show you if a local store has an item in stock. This is something that CompUSA has, although it's not always 100% accurate, but they would never carry this title. I can't buy stuff online, so I guess I'll have to do some calling, and I don't anticipate that to go too well. I'm sure the employees I'll talk to on the phone will not have heard of this title and either won't actually check before telling me they don't have it, or won't know how to look for it in the computer or won't know where to look on the shelf.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Justin, BB.COM actually does. Pretend to buy the item, mark it for in-store pickup at the store you want to check inventory on, and before it ever asks you for a credit card # it will tell you if it's in stock there.

Not always accurate, though. I've both found things in-store that weren't shown as available the way I describe above, and been told things were there that I couldn't find in person. These are few and far between.

And, I must say, the few times I've actually bought stuff on-line with the instore pickup, it's always been right on.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
OK, thanks for that tip! With it, I found that the second-closest BB to me does allegedly have it. I suppose I should call first, though, although if they say no, I'll still probably go check, in case the computer is smarter than the employee. :)

M

MaxY

Justin Good Luck!!

I went in to Best Buy on the Day that The Queen A Night At The Opera DVD-A was released.

I was told the computer shows we have two in stock. They looked all over and could not find them. This was in Tampa, I then Drove across the bay to Clearwater and they said 2 in Stock, again they could not find them.

Then headed to the East and Lakeland, again 2 in stock and just as I was about the give up the guy managed to find a copy.

Max

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Kai, the TV show is different than the books in some areas and that's intended. The radio show (which came first), the books and the tv series all were different because Douglas Adams was constantly changing things, and later releases of the radio show were even different. In the forward to my HHGTG collection he mentions that the TV series covers most of the first book and the end of the second, or something like that.

I really enjoyed this DVD. The show was so funny and really captured the humor in the book well. The effects were not great, but that didn't matter one bit. The dialog and the actors were just excellent. I haven't spent time watching the extras yet, I need to sit down and do that soon. I think the quality of the DVD was amazing. The sound and video were both really good.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
MaxY, the Best Buy inventory computer system has a common limitation (for inventory computer systems), which is that it is not updated throughout the day. In other words, it only knows what the store had when it opened that morning. So if the computer says there are two, those two could very well have been sold already. Some of the employees will tell you this. Some don't even know that.

Even if they weren't sold, once the guy says "two", I would probably mentally give up right then. Two DVDs could easily have been already sold, stolen, hidden deliberately, put back in the wrong spot accidentally, held by employees, etc.

On a different note, it's been a strange set of coincidences for me the day or so. It started at a neighborhood block party (neighbors get together in someone's yard, have a cookout, drink a lot, etc.). One of my neighbors works for a pro A/V installer/sales company (Ritz Audio/Visual, a spin-off from Ritz Camera) and he usually brings a sound system so we can enjoy some music. Well, the music was playing, I wasn't paying much attention to it, when suddenly, I heard something familiar. It took only half a second for me to recognize that I was hearing the theme music from THHGTTG BBC TV series! I was completely taken by surprise; I didn't expect to hear something like that at this party. But I was even more astounded a minute later when I learned that the music was a song by the EAGLES! Yeah, the same group that brought us Hotel California! It was one of the biggest shocks I've ever experienced. Now I don't know if the TV series used the Eagles recording, or if they had it reperformed. The music was excellent for the show; it seemed to absolutely fit it perfectly. I can't believe it's from the Eagles!

Alan Kurland

Stunt Coordinator
I was able to find, and purchase the only copy at the local BB. Have not seen it anywhere else. I suppose one could purchase online. I'm excited to check it out, some easter eggs are described at Digital Bits.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Well, I went out to get it today. Checked BB's website which said it was available at BB's Security location (Security is the name of an area near Baltimore, MD). Before buying it, though, I had to go to an ATM to get some cash. The particular ATM I went to was by the BB in Columbia. Now the BB computer said none were at Columbia. Being right next to it, though, I decided that as long as I was there, I may as well look, just in case, so if I got lucky I wouldn't have to drive all the way to Security. Well sure enough, the website was wrong! Columbia's computer said they had one in stock, and even more impressive, the guy there actually was able to find it on the shelf! Oddly enough, though, it wasn't in the SciFi section. I know that because before asking the BB guy I had already looked there, and where he took me to get it was somewhere else entirely; unfortunately, I failed to notice which section it was where he did find it. I did notice that it was in the correct spot, alphabetically, within that section, I just don't know which section it was. But the point is, if you go looking for it at your local Best Buy, if you don't find it in the SciFi section, check the others as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks