What's new

Who got Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? (1 Viewer)

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
The best it's ever looked. I especially like to be able to freeze-frame and study all the graphics of the 'guide'. Funnier than I remember! Sound is clear in mono; have not tried the remastered stereo.

Jimmy M

Second Unit
I looked everywhere for it without any luck. I finally found ONE copy at Barnes & Noble, and because I didn't want to wait for it, bought it for full retail (ouch!)

What I watched of it looks nice, though the menus on the extra features disc don't exactly give a clear description of what each selection really is.

Jimmy!

M

MaxY

I still have not found it and I have looked in three different BBs Multiple times since it has been released.

Max

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I found my copy at Tower Records on the day of release. Circuit City did not have any when I went there.

-paul

Julie K

Screenwriter
I got mine. Now all I need to do is grab my towel and I'm ready to go :)
This is the best HHGTTG has ever looked and I'll bet that it's the best it can ever look.

Tom Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replys. I went ahead and ordered a copy from Digital Eyes since I already have an account there.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I'll agree with the sentiment that it looks about as good as it can.
Shot alternately on video and 16mm film, it's a very cheap production, which ends up being one of its funniest and most charming qualities.
I had it on a pre-recorded VHS which was recorded in EP, so the DVD looks like a million bucks to me. Of course, it doesn't look GREAT by reference standards, but its a good DVD. I was most surprised by the nice colour saturation they were able to achieve. Every time I've ever seen it, on TV or video, it's looked very muddy and washed out.
I've only read the books a couple of times. How does it compare? Is it too dated?
Hmmm, I don't know how to answer that. Is it dated? Yes. Is that a problem? Not for me. Have you ever watched Dr. Who? Wait'll you see the killer SFX work that went into creating Zaphod Beeblebrox's dual head. :laugh:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
zaphod2.jpg

Link Removed

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
What a great DVD set. I love the books and the TV series, so it's a total joy to own this.

Make sure to watch the production notes - lots of fascinating trivia!

One little warning: Don't watch the outtakes if you have little kids around. Lots and lots of swearing involved.

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
Jimmy, did your copy of HHGTTG not come with the index card? It describes in a bit more detail what is in each section of the Special Features disc.

Overall it looks 100% better than my old (glitchy) VHS did and the Stereo mix sounds great, I'm hearing stuff I missed before.

ps. there are two Easter Eggs. One on Disc 1 and the other on Disc 2.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I ended up ordering this online. I went to Best Buy on release day and they not only had no copies in store, but they had none on order either. I suspect this is going to be the case in a lot of their stores.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Can't say whether i got it or not.... We will need to demand more rigidly defined areas between doubt and uncertainty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks