What's new

Who else likes George Carlin? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I find him to be very funny. If I notice that one of his standup shows are gonna be on, I always watch it, even if I've seen it before. I like on the one I saw tonight where he says that Colin Powell is openly white, but happens to be black. Had me laughing throughout the show.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Ooohh, Stephen...you will find no bigger George Carlin fan on this forum than me. And I don't mean in physical size, either. :)
I'll come back later with reasons for my liking George, but let me say that although his current routines are not as sharp as they were back in his late-70's or early-90's heydays, he is still the world's premier standup comedian.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Yeah...Carlin is awesome! Did you hear his rant about the people that find the need to carry around a bottle of water at all times? Hilarious! :laugh:

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes on television they tell you to buy a frozen Mexican dinner. Well, it sounds like a good idea, but actually, before you take him out to dinner, I should think it would be a good idea to bring him in the house and let him warm up a little. A frozen Mexican probably wouldn't be thinking mainly about food. By the way, isn't Mexico a warm-weather country?
- From his book Brain Droppings. I was reading the book today (it's a tradition for me to bring the book on the last day of school to read when I'm bored) and when I read the above passage, I just started busting out laughing in the middle of class. George Carlin is one of the best comedians ever.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
He looked bad on his latest offering though, which I think is called "Diseased Mind." The first ten minutes or so he went off about the hassles of airport security and how it's a waste because we'll never be attacked by terrorists (this was pre 9-11). Whoops!

There were a few good parts, though, like his complaints about anti-bacterial soaps. "Germs need practice!"

Will K

Screenwriter
Not only is the man hysterical, but the fact that he'll say anything makes him #1 comedian in my book.

What do you call a female peacock? A peac**t?

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I'm sitting at my desk looking at his day to day calendar :) I've seen him here in Vegas and he was hilarious. He has been my favorite comedian as long as I can remember, or until Eddie Murphy quit doing stand up.
Here is his quote for today on my Calendar:
Just for fun: Knock on the door of any stall in a public restroom and say, "Sir! Please try to control the smell in there. Don't force us to bring in the hoses."
Not the funniest of all time, but it's what I'm gonna be looking at all day. :D

Ryan Potts

Stunt Coordinator
When the wife and I were in Vegas a couple of weeks ago, we made sure to got to one of his shows. My face hurt from all the laughing....
needless to say that Carlin is one of my favorite comics, if not at the top of the list.:D

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
He does smart humor so well. I saw him live in the late 80's and I don't believe I've ever laughed so hard. I was wasted, but I'm sure it was very funny.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I love the guy. One of the funniest comics, ever. He is brash and profane and dammit, that's what makes him so intelligent.

Bruce

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
He looked bad on his latest offering though, which I think is called "Diseased Mind." The first ten minutes or so he went off about the hassles of airport security and how it's a waste because we'll never be attacked by terrorists (this was pre 9-11). Whoops!
It was called You Are All Diseased. His point was not that we would never be attacked by terrorists. He was saying that we've never caught a terrorist in the act and never will, and the measures that are in place are just another violation of your civil rights that everyone simply allows.
That being said, I think George Carlin is amazing. Even his earlier stuff (e.g. the Classic Gold compilation) still has bite, although it's many years old.
However, Carlin should be ashamed of his latest book, Napalm and Silly Putty. It's almost 100% transcripted versions of his older acts. So if you own any of his older bits on CD, you have "read" the book already. I don't know why he would put out the same material in printed form, but I was mightily disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks