What's new

Who else is excited about the Denon 2900? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Eric, what are macrovision bars? And once again, I am excited about this player, it must nail it on the video though. I want a top notch video player and heard that the Yamaha has that, the "ONLY" reason I am not buying the 2300 is due to the "reported" noise problems on the audio. But if the Denon does not perform perfect for video, the the Yamaha it is for me. Oh I have another question about the 2900, what is the Pure Direct off, mode 1,mode 2 knob used for?

Mark All

Second Unit
"Pure Direct" is Denon's term it uses for a unit that can have its video circuitry and/or panel display turned off to avoid the potential of interference with the audio signals. In my experience with Denon's receivers it is a very important feature.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Mark, I understand they have a feature that shuts off the video circuitry when playing audio only sources but what I assumed the knob on the face of the unit was used for was to set different video settings to view your dvd's. Is that what it is used for? Just like on my dvd player it has four different options for video, smart,film,video 1 and auto. I just thought that it was a convenient feature that Denon had to access those different modes without having to go into the set up menu. If I am wrong somebody please correct me.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Correct me if Im wrong,but doesnt the Yamaha have what can be considered a slow layer change? It is in fact panasonic based isnt it? Having similar guts as the Rp-82? Great picture,great sound, AND a super quick layer change are very important to me.It may be kinda silly I know, but if my cheapy Cyberhome can do it than anything costing $1000 should too.:D

Luis S

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I have the Yammie; someone give me the layer change time for Attack of the Clones and I'll check. I just got the thing and I haven't had time to look at a layer change.

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
from a 3800 user experience, that pure direc switch is for playing DVD-A and DVD-V (may be + SACD on 2900), you can set up the the pure direct mode like video out on/off and digital out on/off and front panel display on/off for mode 1 or 2 to your preference.

But one important set up you must know is that you have to set up the digital out (in pure direct setup) to OFF for playing DVD-A (may be for SACD on 2900 also). If you set digital out to on, MULTI-CHANNEL DVD-A can't be played.

Eric_Strickl

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff

Macrovision is a copy protection system that will add bars to an vhs copys made of the dvd. I got a loaner ns999es last night and i am not having the problem with it. The ns999es simply destroys the dps8.3. I wounder how it will stack up against the 2900??

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Jagan. Didn't catch that. And to think I quickly searched the whole AVS thread too.:frowning:

James St

Supporting Actor
As bad as I need to new dvd player, I also need to upgrade my receiver. I just ordered a Denon 3803 which will be delivered tomorrow afternoon. This will put off my 2900 purchase for a while but will probably be best in case the 2900 doesn't live up to the expectations.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
"O.K. The Denon DVD-3800 weighs about 22 lbs. That must mean the '3800 is 100% better than the '47Ai."

Keith,

Now you have it! If it means the extra weight of the 3800 was for circuits to get rid of the chroma upsampling error and have no layer change pauses, then yeah ....... the 3800 with no upsampling error or layer change pauses is easily 100+% better than the 47Ai with it's chroma upsampling error and layer change pauses. :emoji_thumbsup:

(Also, when I went shopping for a DVD player no way was I going buy one that weighed less than my lowly VCR and my VCR weighs nearly 20 lbs ...... hence I bought the 3800. My VCR doesn't have the chroma error or video pauses either! :D )

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192-kHz DSD 1790 Audio DACs that decode PCM and DSD signals discretely with no down-conversion of DSD • Full Digital Bass Management for DVD-Audio, featuring Analog Devices Melody 32-bit processor; 80Hz crossover with 12dB high and 24dB low pass slopes; Adjustable delay time(0-15ms)and Channel Levels • Full Digital Bass Management for SACD; 80Hz crossover with 12/24dB slopes on all channels; Adjustable channel levels
This is a beautiful thing. :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jack:

Progressive Scan DVD-Audio/Video Super Audio CD Player • Powered by the Silicon Image/DVDO PureProgressive (SiI504) Decoding Engine - highest quality progressive decoding engine available • PureProgressive decoding features high speed ultra-resolution DSP at 6 Billion Operations Per Second (6 GOPS)with 64Mb external SDRAM • 4 fields (2 frames) digital video processing for optimum motion detection and compensation • Accurate 2:3 pulldown detection and reconstruction, even with inaccurately flagged content • Optimum processing for film content, video content, graphics content and mixed-mode content • 12fps(Animation), Video overlay detection and processing • New 'Chroma Bug Free' Mitsubishi MPEG/DVD-Audio Decoder
The video doesn't look that shabby either.

Hopefully we can work out some sort of deal but knowing Denon I doubt we get that much off. We shall see.

Parker

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Andy,

"I have never been impressed with Denon DVD players starting with the 2800 through the 3800 and finally with the 900."

I'm curious as to what you don't like about a 3800 that doesn't hop/skip/jump, doesn't have the chroma bug, and doesn't have Y/C Delay?

A 3800 like the above is a true delight, as should be the 2900 if it matches the above - plus adds SACD. :emoji_thumbsup:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phil said:

I'm curious as to what you don't like about a 3800 that doesn't hop/skip/jump, doesn't have the chroma bug, and doesn't have Y/C Delay?

A 3800 like the above is a true delight
Agreed. The '3800 is a, dare I say, masterpiece? :)

JackB

Grip
I feel I would be interested in the group purchase it has been release and we know the real deal. One thing I'd like to know more about is the "Powered by the Silicon Image/DVDO PureProgressive (SiI504) Decoding Engine"? Will that be better than the "DCDi by Faroudja"? Faroudja has typically been held up as the standard/best?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.