What's new

Who else here only watches 1 ep per week? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

David, congratulations :laugh: You win the prize. I should have known that someone here at HTF would beat my "65" # :laugh:

Now, for the prize.....I know what I'd want. Enough $$'s to hire a battery of lawyers to clear all copyright/legal/clearance issues for all TV/DVD sets. All "Fugitive" music restored, "Batman" released, "6M$M & Bionic Woman R1's" released, all of those Sony catalog titles from the 50's-60's released. All of the Universal pre-80's catalog released. Eliminate split-season releases. Release all shows in both single-season and complete series sets at the same time.
"Such is the stuff that dreams are made of"
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Jeff, you've been watching entirely too much "I Dream of Jeannie"! You left out turning "Route 66" over to the hands of Image Entertainment, BTW...but I'll forgive you for that one!

redbird

Agent
Real Name
M
Sometimes I do marathons. Some involve guest stars, some are based on the original network airdates for eps of shows in my collection. I find that these marathons get me to watch shows that sometimes I haven't seen in a while. It's also kind of interesting to see the evolution of Leslie Nielsen and his graying hair over a 40 year span (from "Tales of Tomorrow" in 1952 to "Golden Girls" in 1992) or to see what the networks ran on January 20, 1973.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I haven't been forced to sit through any commercials on DVD. Maybe you're buying the wrong stuff.

As for myself, I have no schedule for watching my TV DVDs. I usually watch a movie on DVD in the evenings (and right now I'm going through my movies in mostly chronological order), and I'll put in a television episode once in a while, when I don't have time for a whole movie.

---------------

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
I just got the Prisoner Megaset (from the DD deal) & I've been averaging one episode a week. I want to make this great one last.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
When I get a season set of a beloved show, I generally watch all the shows on that set over the course of however long I need to complete the set. I like to give the particular show my complete attention.

If I do adopt something like you guys do, it would be daily episodes because many of the shows I love were seen by me first not on the networks but on daily syndicated reruns.

It's an odd thing to consider some 1960's and 50's part of my 70's and 80's nostalgia because that makes up a lot of the stuff I was watching.

Also, late 70s and 80's shows I enjoy (and still theoretically like) on their first run I don't have too much desire to revisit on DVD. Dukes of Hazzard comes to mind as well as M*A*S*H and Star Trek:The Next Generation (even though I have most of M*A*S*H and all the ST:TNG on DVD).

But I can tackle 50's through early 70's shows all day.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I started creating a viewing schedule in an Excel spreadsheet back in January 2007, just to work through my collection. (I had also realized that, between DVDs, VHS tapes and CDs, I had an almost complete run of Doctor Who, and was dying to experience it chronologically.)

With the exception of Who and Dark Shadows (which I watch on weeknights, just because of the sheer number of episodes), I watch shows one episode per week.

Here is my current schedule:

Sunday
Father Knows Best
The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet
The Honeymooners
Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Monday
Doctor Who
Dark Shadows
I Love Lucy
Gunsmoke
Star Trek: The Animated Series

Tuesday
Doctor Who
Dark Shadows
Adventures of Superman
The Andy Griffith Show
The Avengers

Wednesday
Doctor Who
Dark Shadows
The Tomorrow People
You Bet Your Life
Perry Mason

Thursday
Doctor Who
Dark Shadows
Red Dwarf
One Step Beyond
The Wild Wild West

Friday
Doctor Who
Dark Shadows
Get Smart
Secret Agent
The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Saturday
Rocky & Bullwinkle
Gatchaman
Batman: The Animated Series
The Simpsons
Mystery Science Theater 3000

I'm surprised at how well this arrangement works out. I may get behind on some shows, but in general, I manage to stick to my schedule. And I am amazed at how quickly I go through my DVDs this way without getting bored.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm tempted to make up such a schedule for the heck of it, but would never be able to stick to it - I have way too many movies to watch to be able to devote that many hours a night just to tv dvds.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Wow! I never expected people would be having the entire week 'programed'. Funny how easy it is to live without current TV programing. If anything is truly good (BSG is now an all-time favorite) I won't even bother to watch it until it hits DVD. On some things I will happily pay the premium to own and not have to endure the contemptuous distractions of bugs and promos flying around the screen. incessently. Don't remember if I ever answered my own question, but my programingat the moment is limited to 1 ep of Dark Shadows on the weekdays which I always kick off a nights viewing with, and Mission: Impossible on Sunday night. M:I was probably the reason I first started to limit myself to one ep, but made it a weekly ritual. I was a bigger fan of Steven Hill than Peter Graves, so with only one season, I want to make it last as long as possible.
I'm going to have to start working more shows regularly into my schedule soon, since I too have over 65 series sets on the shelf with most not even sampled yet. That's what happens when you always take advantage of good sales.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's a problem for me trying to work TV shows in with movies I want to watch (and baseball games).

Oh - and how about watching one episode per night? I find that when I'm in the mood to go through a TV series, I like the one-a-night approach more than once per week.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Paul_Scott said:
Wow! I never expected people would be having the entire week 'programed'. Funny how easy it is to live without current TV programing. If anything is truly good (BSG is now an all-time favorite) I won't even bother to watch it until it hits DVD. On some things I will happily pay the premium to own and not have to endure the contemptuous distractions of bugs and promos flying around the screen. QUOTE]

Exactly! Not to mention the ridiculus number of :angry: Commercials:angry: the networks try to ram down our throats!:frowning: I gave up watching Broadcast and Cable TV 18 months ago, since then I have amassed over 6,000 Hours of TV Shows, Movies and Serials on DVD, and I'm not done yet!:laugh:

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I keep forgeting to mention I'm also in the Excel club. I don't use it for scheduling, but I did finally compile a masterlist of every title I own.
I have the unwatched ones in red, followed by a cell with the notation "unwatched". When something finally gets viewed, or a TV set completed, I change the type to black and erase the unwatched cell and resort everything. I resisted the urge to list my collection for the longest time, but it ended up being a real eye opener when I finally did it.
Excel is a blast.

Mary_P

Second Unit
I'm using DVDPedia to catalog my library, but I'm strictly low-tech when it comes to keeping track of where I am in a series. Strictly pen-and-paper, bay-bee!

And you guys have shamed me. Surely I have enough unwatched series sets sitting around that I could have more than 83 "in-progress." I think it's probably more like 15 to 20, with lots of stuff yet to be opened.

There aren't very many shows I do on a regular schedule, with the exception of "Brisco County" -- I usually try to watch an episode or two each Saturday morning. Just seems right, somehow!

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

This shows the passion that some people have for watching DVD, and TV on DVD. I have a similarly huge collection and I must admit that I'm a bit more scatterbrained about approaching it. I've lately been watching on my ``weekends'': ``The X-Files'' (just finished Season 6); followed by ``The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones'' Vol. 3, and was watching the fourth season of ``The 4400'' capped off to end the day with ``Star Trek: Enterprise'' Season 4. But now that ``24'' Season 1 has arrived from Netflix, I'm watching that and trying to carve out some time for ``Eureka'' Season 2 so that I can finish watching that before the new season premieres on Tuesday night.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

...and I thougtht I was the only one that would use an Excel file for this kind of thing
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
It works out well for me too. I do it differently but with the same idea. I have several worksheets in one file and one sheet has all of the un-viewed & in-progress shows. The other sheets are for my entire DVD collection with one sheet for TV/DVD & the other for films. The files are sorted by title, year, & genre with a separate sheet for each category.

I track the in-progress sets with a "last ep viewed" column that I update weekly on the PC.

Kenneth V

Stunt Coordinator
I wish I could do a schedule every week....but I never follow it when I try it. I'm on the 2 disc per show rotation right now. It seems to be working out ok.
I have a near complete set of Doctor Who as well and am going through it in order too!

My rotation is this:
Doctor Who (Season 4-Highlanders)
Macgyver (Season 6)
Man From U.N.C.L.E. (Season 3)
Stargate SG-1 (Season 3)
X-Files (Season 3)

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
The only down side to my approach is that I don't watch movies as frequently as I used to. There is only so much video entertainment I can process in one evening.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I'm too impatient and not disciplined enough to create my own schedule. Once a set catches my fancy, I'll want to burn through it start-to-finish, indeed the most recent 'burn' was all 5 seasons of The Wire in about 6 or 7 weeks (yes, I know the last season isn't out on DVD yet... ) Or previously, I might juggle two or three sets concurrently, but would usually watch a few eps each time, often a disc at a time (whether in one night or over a few nights, the idea being not to take the disc out of the player and put it back in the package -- I'm 'lazy' that way, not because of fears of player breakdown... :laugh: )

Since I'm not in the US, we don't face the same scheduling issues you do, i.e. we don't have four networks jostling for eyeballs from Sept to May, with everything on hiatus in summer, nor do we (generally) face pre-emption or just plain delays as the studios struggle to finish shooting 22 eps. TV shows are usually screened weekly start-to-finish, when one show's season ends another takes its place. Plus with an HDD recorder, I always record then watch, partly because I'm not always home in time to catch it, but mainly to skip ads. So I still catch most new-ish stuff on 'TV', whilst DVDs are either old shows, or favourites that I must have and will re-watch quickly by burning through (e.g. I usually got through each season of West Wing upon release in about a week).

Between keeping up with 'new' TV, and burning through stuff that catches my fancy, not much time left to set a retro-schedule. Interesting idea, though, even if it's one I'm unlikely to try any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks