What's new

Who else here only watches 1 ep per week? (1 Viewer)

Kenneth V

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the link! It's interesting to see when certain shows where on tv.

By-the-way.....GREAT THREAD!!!

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Many thanks Jeff and Cheetah for the useful links!

Any way to find non-prime time listings?

andytw710

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
I also use an excel file to help me get everything situated and straight forward. I do like the one episode a week thing and might do it eventually in the future.

Lately I've themed my months or have marathons

Mark Lx

Second Unit
I try to minimize the changing of disks. I'll watch one whole disk (for example, 3 episodes of Dallas) and move on to another show, keeping unfinished sets on one shelf. What with movies, and not even making time to watch everyday because of music and outdoor stuff, it will take months to get back to (Dallas) and over a year to watch a set. I like it that way. Seems like I'm getting my money's worth.

I try to alternate a comedy disc with a drama disc and when I need to switch to my inferior region free player, I'll watch a group of R2 discs at once.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

I'm much the same way. I've completed most of my sets through first-run, and when I'm finding something to see (whether it's one of the series from my collection or one of my St. Louis Cardinals baseball discs), it all comes down to whim-- in essence, what do I want to see now? Most of my collection (at least to me) has high rewatchability factor.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

This sounds like a great way to go. I have always felt that there HAS to be some sort of rotation, or else so many things just never get watched!

I've overdone the bit about watching 5 - 10 episodes of one show in one shot, and it's often just too much. I've been trying to come up with a TV schedule that works right for me, but a problem I have is that I'm trying to do the same exact thing with all the MOVIES I own and don't watch regularly!

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
No problem Mike.
Actually, the bottom of the page to the above link also has additional links to weekday and Saturday morning schedules.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
One thing I do when I'm "working on a certain TV show" is I keep the discs in progress off to the side in their own CD jewel cases. This way I don't have to keep constantly returning a DVD to its packaging and taking it out again, if I'm only watching one episode at a time.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Many shows I'll never burn out on. But there are others I'll watch at times when they have the best chance to be enjoyable. I have a bunch of stuff I like to watch on Saturdays mornings simply because I used to watch them that way when they originally aired. When I'm home I"ll watch SCTV Friday nights and SNL Saturday nights, without fail. There's no way I'd watch either show during the day. I don't go out of my way to emulate the old TV schedule. For instance, Buck Rogers and Lost in Space are both fun on Saturday mornings. Same with Hercules and Xena. MST3K is also best on Saturday mornings. Anyway, I'm just glad DVD gives me the choice to scedule things the way I like it.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I understand where Mark is coming from.
To be honest, I never even gave any thought to the wear and tear on the player- but it does make sense that it would be more stressful spinning up and spinning down, and loading and unloading the tray, than just playing thru.
As far as getting thru sets asap for warranty and return issues- I just see the potential problems as part of the price for ownership. Early on I had the mindset that I had to be sure that everything was 100%, but it started to reduce the entertainment to drudgery and work. One night a week is a treat whereas three hours a night for eight nights in a row can become numbing with certain material.
While I don't appreciate shoddy quality, I'll trade getting a glitchy ep here or there for a more leisurely pace in consuming it. After all, that's the whole reason I buy instead of Netflixing something. Renting works fine for me with something like BSG because I can't watch those fast enough. I'll blow thru a season in three or four days and love it- and I'm not tying up rental slots for weeks on end.

Some might see scheduling as constricting and taking away the fun of 'in the mood' viewing, but for me it's actually been just the opposite. It gives some structure to my consumption that makes it easier to make headway into my great unwatched piles, as well as helping me figure out what mood I'm actually in. Too often in the past I would look at several shelves full of possibilities and not be able to decide on anything.

Now, I'll look forward to Sunday night to get my weekly fix of Mission Impossible. But in the process of watching that, I'm also forming a mood for what I want to chase it with. Maybe it's another adventure show, or a heist movie, or something else with one of the leads or guest stars. Often I'll just immerse myself in other, different things from the same era.
In my experience, having that little structure in place usually ends up being a boon to spontaneity, ironically enough.

Venice-H

Agent
I've never been as organized as planning out a schedule for my DVD watching, though I have occasionally thought about doing it.

Basically, whatever I'm in the mood for I'll watch. Shows I'm not familiar with or have forgotten about I'll watch in episode order; others I'll pull out a specific episode (or two) and watch that.

Three sitcom episodes or two drama episodes is about my limit for one sitting; after that I have to do something else or at least watch something else.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Tim (Post #9)

That's an awesome list. I think that's :cool:

Venice,

I'm sort of the same way as far as un-planned viewing. I just recently tend to gravitate to a certain Sat or Sun night for a show that originally aired the same night. I usually just pick something more or less by genre each time. But, I have to keep that spreadsheet updated :laugh: There's been a few times that I've had a long hiatus from a particular show and without that Excel file I'd never remember what episode is next in line.

It's a little OT but does anyone skip around with the episode order on the DVD's? I almost always watch the eps in the order that they're menu'ed on the DVD's.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jeff,

With Trek series, I tend to watch the episodes in production (rather than air date) order. With other series, I just watch in air date order. :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I used to be the same way. Now I use the time I'm at the computer or reading to put on a disk and run it in fast play of about 8x. This seems to catch major problems such as a disk/episode that just hangs. So far it's worked great and I've caught a few DVDs (TV and movie sets) that were defective in this way before the return cutoff date.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
When my wife and I sit down to watch DVDs we tend to watch in 2 to 3 hour segments, like we would for watching TV during the prime time in the evening. If it is a drama series we will watch 2 or 3 episodes. Our latest TV series from Netflix has been Weeds. We will definitely sit though all five episodes on the disc in one night.

Mark Lx

Second Unit

Uh, it's not really the player but minimalizing the handling of the discs by not watching a episode and them switching.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm going to start doing this with my Apple TV and Playlists you can set out a Mon-Ffiday schedule.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I still don't see how this would affect anything. As long as you handle the discs properly, both dvd player and dvd's will play flawlessly. There is no harm, except for possibly a bit more wear on the dvd tray.
Absolutely nothing to worry about..at all!

wh5916

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Hicks

Personally, I don't have the time, patience or desire to sit back and watch a DVD television compilation in marathon fashion. We all have our own preferences, and mine is to watch episodes as I feel like it. And if a DVD player can't handle a simple load/unload operation, then it's not much of a DVD player to begin with.

If quality frets me, I'll pop a disc into my computer's DVD-RW drive and give it a quick check for errors with Nero's free CD Speed program.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks