What's new

Who does Pioneer Laserdisc Player Repair? (1 Viewer)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I recently attempted to hook back up my Pioneer CLD-D406 player which had been stored in its original box for over a year. When I went to turn it on I noticed it had no power and the power lamp was not lit, I changed power cords and made sure it was getting power, still no luck. It was in working and in good condition when we moved and has been stored in a dry climate. I purchased this unit new and only viewed about 15 discs or so. I suspect an internal fuse but am reluctant to open it up due to the numerous caution labels. Any good shops that anyone can recommend to check my unit out?

PLMK-Thanks!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Todd,

Don’t let all those labels scare you. You can easily remove the top cover by removing a half-dozen or so screws. Any fuses should be readily visible and easy to remove and check. Just make sure it’s unplugged, and refrain from sticking your fingers in the middle of the circuitry.

As for as repairs, you can call Pioneer for an authorized repair center. It shouldn’t be hard to find one in New Orleans. If not, I’d recommend sending it to Pioneer for repairs.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Too bad the warranty's run out. Most places will charge you $75-100 just to LOOK at a laser disc unit, let alone fix it (this is from experience).

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
UPDATE:
Removed the cover and has suspected the 2 amp fuse was indeed blown. Replaced it twice with the same results, blown both times:frowning:
I have no idea what could be causing the fuses to blow:frowning:

Patricio M

Agent
I have the same problem with my unit (CLD-504). I tried to replace the fuse and it kept blowing (3 times). My guess, there's a power board problem, but I am not willing to spend $100-$150 to get it fixed when you can buy a used one for the same price. As of right now...it is collecting dust :frowning:

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Phil A said;
You can also send an E-Mail to Kurtis Bahr at [email protected]. He is great to deal with and will help narrow down the problem. If you can't find anyone locally to fix it, he can do that. He posts at http://www.newsville.com/news/groups/alt.video.html under the laserdisc area and often helps people with problems.
Thanks to PHIL A and to KURTIS BAHR for help in getting my laserdisc back online!
Kurtis truly is a very special person who did not know me from Adam but helped me with several informative emails that allowed ME to fix my laserdisc player. You don't find a lot of people like Kurtis in this day and time and lord knows we sure could use more!
Again, THANK YOU Kurtis Bahr for your HELP!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I happen to agree about Kurtis as I've bought one player from him and had a couple repaired by him, but just for completeness sake, what was the basic problem with the repetitive fuse blowing?

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Apparently a small defective item called an Arc suppressor which is about the size of a small diode. I simply unsoldered this item that was causing a direct short and replaced the fuse.

Patricio M

Agent
I'd like to chime in as well. I have the CLD-504, and have been corresponding with Todd over the past couple of days. It seems I had the same issue. I simply cut the lead on the ARC suppressor and replaced the fuse and it automagically worked! I am glad there are helpful people such as Todd and Kurtis, as am I now able to enjoy my laserdiscs once again!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Is the "ARC suppressor" an essential part? What is its purpose? Now that you guys now have your units working, wouldn't it be wise to research that part to see if you can find a replacement? Good job though, Todd and Kurtis. That kind of help is like gold. Do you think they need to replace the part now?
:)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Chris,
I tried a Google search on this part to no avail. From looking at the underside of the circuit board, this part jumps the + circuit to the - circuit if it fails, which it did. I was told by using a surge protector I was protected just as if the item was on the board. These must fail a lot because he knew exactly what it was first guess and two people out of the blue had the exact same problem. I still have my internal fast blow 2 amp fuse so I am not concerned, although to be honest, if the part were readily available EASILY, I would get one and install it just for peace of mind. But, I am quite happy at this time. :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks