What's new

Who belongs to the "AAA" motor club? (1 Viewer)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
i think I pay 70 per year for my spouse and I. Problem with non AAA options....have you actually tried their service ? See how long it takes them to arrive at the site of your broken down auto.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Thanks everyone. I assumed the service was nationwide if a member. Nowhere on their website did I read it is only good in your home state or anything like that. :confused:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
DaveF said:
For planning: I've done both paper maps and digital, and I prefer the digital solution in all cases. I've got a Road Atlas in the back seat pocket that hasn't been opened in three years, since getting iPhones. And I'd bet that TomTom and Google Maps are as accurate, and possibly more up to date, than AAA maps. Driving alone, it's safer to have the device recalculate routes for me on the fly. If my wife is navigating, it's actually easier to have a digital device with GPS locate current location, and route from there, compared to searching a regional map for the last exit seen and start from there. And I don't have to remember to order maps three days ahead. Wherever I go, I've got the maps. As with everything, this is a matter of preference and map skills. :)
I probably gave an incorrect impression. I do own and use a GPS when we travel -- I own both a Garmin and an Android phone. I prefer the Garmin for long trips, but the Android phone works in a pinch if I didn't pack the Garmin. Heck, I've owned Garmin GPS's longer than most people, having bought one of those old, large, expensive ($700+) StreetPilots before a long road trip through the Badlands and Mount Rushmore on the way to Glacier National Park over 10 years ago. However, I also like to have printed maps available to view when I am not actually driving. I just find then easier to look at when planning a route.
ghostrydyr said:
not try to be a liar here,,:confused:,, ,,,,nc and sc are within the same network , go to fl or tx and see how it works out for you,,unless they have changed their policies in the last 2 yrs, most of the same rules apply except for those states that are connected,which are few and far, unless you get the motor home package.. aaa is a franchise, so to speak, every state and franchise has different programs and different policies,some work together as one some dont, its really strange to me how they are aaa and are not, its by state and who is afilliated with who,,i worked in the automotive side and people would get upset because their aaa from ca/tx /almost everywhere,,, or whatever was useless here in NC/SC , what AAA stands for and what it actually is,,is 2 different things,depending on which state you are a member and who they are connected to,:D
North and South Carolina being in the same network has nothing to do with it in my case -- our membership is in Michigan, and we were just traveling in those states. In each case, I called my toll-free Michigan number for assistance, and they ended up transferring me to the appropriate department for the state where I actually needed assistance. Worked like a charm both times, and it did not cost me anything -- other than the annual membership fee, of course. In SC, I had a rental car, while in NC I had my own vehicle (these were on different trips). FYI, if you go to the AAA website, it even says "Leading roadside assistance in any car, anytime, anywhere".

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
i think I pay 70 per year for my spouse and I. Problem with non AAA options....have you actually tried their service ? See how long it takes them to arrive at the site of your broken down auto.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
AAA ? I didn't know people still used them. I mean for $0 to $15 yr you can get the same service from your insurance company. Many cell phone plans include similar service, as well as any new car. Some are for 2 or 3 years, some new cars are for as long as the original owner owns the car. Have an American Express card? You have road side assistance and trip planning and such already.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Mr645 said:
AAA ? I didn't know people still used them. I mean for $0 to $15 yr you can get the same service from your insurance company. Many cell phone plans include similar service, as well as any new car. Some are for 2 or 3 years, some new cars are for as long as the original owner owns the car. Have an American Express card? You have road side assistance and trip planning and such already.
American Express? I didn't know people still used them. ;)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
DaveF said:
The money I've saved not paying for AAA more than offsets that risk. It's insurance, and depends on your needs and risk perception. I've never had to call a towtruck from the side of the road. When I had AAA, I never used the towing service. So that became an easy $50/yr savings.
The fact that you've never had to call a tow truck is an anecdote, not a reason for someone else to not consider joining AAA. :) It's about peace of mind. AAA has a long track record of reliability and good service.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
The fact that you've never had to call a tow truck is an anecdote, not a reason for someone else to not consider joining AAA. It's about peace of mind. AAA has a long track record of reliability and good service.
So if I understand you correctly, what you're saying is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF
... It's insurance, and depends on your needs and risk perception.

Also, that's your anecdote that it brings peace of mind. That may not apply to anyone else. It may bring them distress over paying money for services not needed ;)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I had AAA membership through my parents growing up, and my wife and I have had AAA Plus since we've been married. I think it costs us about $120/year for the 2 of us. I always pick up the state books, as well as road maps when going on a driving trip to a place I've never been, sometimes even a TripTik for the route advice. Those state books are better than trying to wade through the internet to find places to go. The ticket discounts are nice as well, but then I live within 2 hours of most of the theme parks in Florida. As for roadside assistance, my wife has a bad habit of locking her keys in her car, and when my alternator died for a second time within 10 months on a Sunday evening driving back from Orlando, it was nice to have the car towed to my house, and then on Monday morning verifying that the alternator was still under warranty with the service chain, having it towed there to be replaced. And that's just one time I needed their roadside assistance in the last 14 years.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
DaveF said:
Also, that's your anecdote that it brings peace of mind. That may not apply to anyone else. It may bring them distress over paying money for services not needed ;)
You can say that about any kind of insurance coverage. Why buy any of it? I think AAA is a bargain at just over $4 per month for the basic rate. Many people spend that in one day on their morning coffee. You have one number to call for assistance and they're always available. No trying to figure out which garage to call if you're in an unfamiliar area, or hoping one of your friends is available at the exact time you need help (3AM in the morning...yeah, right).

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I guess it's like anything else. Worth it to some, not to others. Where some would distress about paying for something they feel they wouldn't use I feel more at ease by having it because it covers me not the car I'm in. And since it looks like AAA is a network of roadside towing and travel services what benefits are offered might be determined by which area you live in. The AAA in Northern California, Nevada and Utah offers coast-to-coast roadside service 24/7 and free maps and DMV, roadtrip and travel planning services and various discounts (like free parking at Disneyland's Resort) among many other things. While the internet has replaced some of these things I still get some maps and tour books and use their other services once in a while.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was pointing out a pot calling a kettle black :) I agree its a form of extra insurance to give peace of mind and simplify travel. AAA no longer has that value for me, with a reliable car, GPS, and insurance coverage, and no benefit from its discounts. Your...ahem...mileage may vary :)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Been a AAA member for about 25 years. Yes, it is a bit expensive but really appreciate their service. A couple of years ago I had a flat tire on an Interstate and the flat was on the driver's side, exposing us to traffic. I just called AAA and the tire was changed in about 30 minutes.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I learned last weekend that with Budget rental car, adding a spouse to a rental is free if you're a AAA member. It's a few bucks a day, otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks