What's new

Who Are The Worst Actors In TV History (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Next person who brings up religion in this thread is going to have their account suspended.

There is no reason to bring religion into this conversation. Knock it off.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Rob_Ray said:
Richard Deacon (though I prefer Roger C. Carmel's three-dimensional Roger to Richard's stereotypical Fred Mertz retread on The Mothers in Law) and Tim Conway. Tim seems to work best when paired with another comic. With Joe Flynn on McHale's Navy and Harvey Korman on The Carol Burnett Show, he's a comic genius.

Oh, lord...Joe Flynn. Can ANYONE explain his appeal? :angry:
(I never watched much McHale's Navy, I'm just asking that on the basis of seeing him turn up in just about every live-action comedy Disney made in the 60's and 70's. I guess he was a great slow-burn comic foil if he had someone to constipatedly whine at, but...)

And Richard Deacon was so funny in his thankless straight-man role on The Dick Van Dyke Show, you almost forget he was usually typecast as a villain in most bigscreen movies.
Roger C. Carmel, OTOH, just keeps playing Star Trek's Harry Mudd wherever he goes. You really can't ask more of him than that.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If you don't see him in McHale's Navy, then you miss the point of his appeal in that show as to why it worked with him as the perfect comic foil for Borgnine and Conway. Without that element, the show doesn't succeed as a sitcom classic.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Jack P said:
If you don't see him in McHale's Navy, then you miss the point of his appeal in that show as to why it worked with him as the perfect comic foil for Borgnine and Conway. Without that element, the show doesn't succeed as a sitcom classic.
Flynn may have not been a thespian but he was perfect for the Captain Binghamton role. Certainly he was no Brando method actor but people on here are also lambasting me for my opinion about Ann B. Davis and Charlotte Rae.... He weren't those two Tony Winners for their poignant roles in McBeth?

Plus, on a personal note, I feel terrible for the horrible slow death Flynn went through. Sucked down by his cast to the bottom of a pool.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Professor Echo said:
Speaking of sinking, this thread and much of the HTF TV forum has sunk pretty low of late.
Didn't we recently have a very popular thread entitled something like, Who is the most annoying character on TV? I see no difference. Unless of course, your issue is not with the content, but past dealings with the OP. Hmmmmm.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Professor Echo said:
Speaking of sinking, this thread and much of the HTF TV forum has sunk pretty low of late.
Not every TV show can be Downton Abbey...

Critiquing shows like Castle require a tad bit of snark. You can tell Fillion is doing the show just so he has cash to finish Firefly...

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Frank Soyke said:
Didn't we recently have a very popular thread entitled something like, Who is the most annoying character on TV? I see no difference. Unless of course, your issue is not with the content, but past dealings with the OP. Hmmmmm.
No, I have no issues with you, Frank. I did start that other thread, but once it started to get nasty and began inordinately ridiculing others rather than poking good natured fun at our different perspectives of TV history, I stopped patronizing it. The general tone of of the TV forum in particular and HTF in general has become more negative than ever. I find myself moving more and more away from all of it, so while this topic may have been intended for people to enjoy, it instead just tells everyone with a different opinion that they are WRONG and I find no enjoyment in that.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Professor Echo said:
No, I have no issues with you, Frank. I did start that other thread, but once it started to get nasty and began inordinately ridiculing others rather than poking good natured fun at our different perspectives of TV history, I stopped patronizing it. The general tone of of the TV forum in particular and HTF in general has become more negative than ever. I find myself moving more and more away from all of it, so while this topic may have been intended for people to enjoy, it instead just tells everyone with a different opinion that they are WRONG and I find no enjoyment in that.
I do agree with you to an extent. I get lambasted pretty good on here sometimes. It is increasingly negative.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Professor Echo said:
I find myself moving more and more away from all of it, so while this topic may have been intended for people to enjoy, it instead just tells everyone with a different opinion that they are WRONG and I find no enjoyment in that.
People are passionate about their TV shows here - if they weren't they wouldn't spend so much time posting about them. I've had several "You're a moron" gut reactions to some of the names cited in this thread, but I understand that doesn't advance the discussion, so I have swallowed them. And for the record, my nominations for 'worst' status are Sasha Mitchell and Maxwell Caulfield.

I have my own issues with this site, which have gotten a little worse as of late. Specifying them might jeopardize my account so I'll leave it at that.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Jack Lord on Hawaii 5-0. He always acted like his s--t did'nt stink.I heard his co-stars would agree. Could'nt stand him.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
I must admit...a fews months ago....I hammered VTTBOTS for it's content for it's 3rd and 4th seasons. Gary called me on it. That was my wake up call....so I just try to only "converse" about topics that I am intrigued by and dance around the rest. I still have to pinch myself at times to not express an opinion that could be perceived as negative. Just call me on it like Gary did.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Negative topics such as this one, will only serve to bring out negative comments and negative reactions. As Mother Jefferson used to say, "If you can't say anything nice about someone, don't say anything at all. That's why I seldom talk about Louise!"

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Shatner's Grim Reaper said:
I must admit...a fews months ago....I hammered VTTBOTS for it's content for it's 3rd and 4th seasons. Gary called me on it. That was my wake up call....so I just try to only "converse" about topics that I am intrigued by and dance around the rest. I still have to pinch myself at times to not express an opinion that could be perceived as negative. Just call me on it like Gary did.
A lot of the problems stem from the fact that folks don't acknowledge that others have the right to their opinions. The negative tone of this board stems more from the people who take exception to others opinion of a show, rather than what the original poster said. That kind of holier than though, "you better like it cause I do, and you best not criticize MY show" stuff don't fly with me. If I think your show is garbage and you love it, you are entitled to your own opinion, so let me have mine. My attitude is that if your self esteem is so low, and you need to have my approval to legitimize your preferences, that's your issue.
Any sports fans out there know you need a thick skin to deal with critcism. If I wear my Dolphins jersey to a bar, I fully expect the guys in the Steelers jerseys to get on my case about my squad and I give it right back. I don't play cry baby and say "he don't like my team, poor me." C'mon guys, its a TV show, not your family.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Shatner's Grim Reaper said:

I hope no one thinks I'm some Pollyanna who only wants the good and nice things said all the time. That's certainly not the case, and I'm not advocating for only "positive" posts from everyone where it's all ice cream and cake. Having said all that, I'll add my voice to a couple of others here in that I do think I've seen a shift recently to a more critical, sometimes vitriolic, attitude amongst some. And when you begin to realize you are reading that type of stuff all the time it starts to take the pleasure away from posting. It's okay in its place, but I do think balance is needed and we can't just constantly be in a state of bashing and complaining. That's too easy. Sometimes we have to take a step back and enjoy the hobby.

Gary "just my two cents" O.

P.S. Grim, I can't honestly say I remember the incident you cited (where I called you out), but if I was too harsh then please accept my humble apologies. I'm not for the suppression of all negative opinion. If I were, I'd be the first one to have my mouth taped shut. :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is not rocket science guys.

A topic such as this WILL inevitably bring out negative opinions which will run contrary to others opinions and--whammo--people get pissy.

If you guys think the negative tone of this board is bad...1.) you need to get out more and see what passes as civil discourse on other forums...and 2.) you can do your part to make a difference and turn the discussion here to positive things.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Mike Frezon said:
This is not rocket science guys.

A topic such as this WILL inevitably bring out negative opinions which will run contrary to others opinions and--whammo--people get pissy.

If you guys think the negative tone of this board is bad...1.) you need to get out more and see what passes as civil discourse on other forums...and 2.) you can do your part to make a difference and turn the discussion here to positive things.
Mike is right, folks. Visit "CardsTalk" which SHOULD be a place to discuss Cardinals baseball. People calling each other every name in the book, fake ID's just to have someone to agree with what was posted, people daring moderators to ban them. Nope, this place is pretty good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks