Whitney - season 1 thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Cameron Yee, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Erm. Not funny.

I've never seen her stand up routine, but much of her performance felt very self, and audience aware.

2. Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H Supporting Actor

I can't believe they done away with a show like Outsourced for trash like they are doing this season. While Outsourced wasn't great like a Modern Family, at least it was WAY better than anything I have seen so far. Whitney I think at best may appeal to women viewers about her age or maybe older, but it's not for guys at all. Really, I don't see many women laughing or relating to it that much either as a whole. Guess none of the new NBC shows are for me.

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I started to watch this a few nights ago On Demand and I got 4 minutes into it before having to turn it off. I usually go through a number of episodes before giving up on a show but I guess I've been spoiled by the great comedies that are on TV that I can't sit through garbage anymore.

4. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I caught the second half of this and it was all kinds of horrible. I've seen some of Whitney Cummings' standup, and she's okay, but this was just terrible and so run of the mill.

Are there really that many great comedies on TV right now? Other than 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' and 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' (which isn't even on now) I don't know of any.

5. Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H Supporting Actor

You bet, did you not see or hear about the Emmy's? Modern Family walked with several and it has been one of the best and most consistent comedy shows on rather cable or TV. I also like that it is not so in-your-face with some subject matters and it does not use a laugh track.

6. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson

Definitely don't pay much attention to the Emmy's. I've heard good things about 'Modern Family' but never saw it. I've seen bits and pieces of it and it seems like it has some potential, but if I watch a show, it has to be from the beginning of the series. Maybe I'll get the DVDs/Blurays for it some day. I just have a phobia against network comedy shows that I would have to overcome. I did enjoy 'The Office' and '30 Rock' for a time, but not so much anymore.

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Comedy is probably the most subjective artform but for my money, Community and Parks And Recreation are both top notch and the only shows on network TV that are great.

8. KevinGress

KevinGress Supporting Actor

I thought it was ok. A few laughs - the guy who plays Alex, is the best part of the show. A little eye candy with the nurse outfit. :) Actually found it more humorous than this week's Two and a Half Men. I'll probably watch again and see if it gets better, but I'm not going to go out of my way.

9. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Second ep seemed a little better. She was a little more natural. She is nice to look at though. ;) Perhaps she's like Seinfeld in that if you watch the early episodes he was pretty horrible as an actor - he did get much better though. This has been discussed before, but if Seinfeld had come out in today's TV environment it probably wouldn't have lasted a full season.

10. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I thought it was better too. I alternate between thinking she's attractive and thinking she needs to eat a sandwich.

11. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    Several sandwiches.

12. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    Just saw the Pilot, and had a few laughs here and there. Thought it was okay overall.

I have to say, someone was trigger happy with the laugh track, because this would be the first in a while that it annoyed me. Though still not as bad as it was in the 70's and 80's.

13. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

They do say it's filmed in front of a live audience, so it's not canned. But I wonder if it would be better without it.

14. Albert_M

Albert_M Supporting Actor

Tried to watch the pilot. Wow, yes overkill on the laugh track. Some laughs were on comments that weren't jokes and nothing was really funny. Painful, painful tv. Naturally it gets picked up. Ugh.

15. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

Filmed in front of a live audience does not necessarily mean that the laughter you hear is only coming from the audience. I think it is being enhanced.

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think I'm probably out, saw tonight's episode, and the writing is so mediocre.

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

And here I am again, tried last week's episode, and didn't think it sucked.

18. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I like this show so far. I just think that Whitney is a little to abrasive. Both in personality and in looks. She is one of those women that can look pretty hot, then look pretty bad depending on something. I can't really put my finger on it. It could be it depends on what she is wearing or it even could simply be that she looks worse when she is being mean.

19. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    There was an interesting Entertainment Weekly blurb comparing this show to her other project, "2 Broke Girls," and how they have done since the premieres. Early impressions favored "2BG" but the show has already become stagnant (I decided to drop the show last week), whereas "Whitney" seems to be finding its footing. I haven't been watching this show because I decided to give "Person of Interest" priority, but I'll probably get back to it when I have a little more time.

20. Michael Henry

Michael Henry Second Unit

J. Michael Henry
    Curious that "Whitney" is on NBC and "2 Broke Girls" is on CBS... Wonder how they worked that out?