What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
ahollis said:
Hammerstein had passed in 1960 so there would be no involvement. Also Fox was bleeding money trying to make CLEOPATRA at the time and had no interest nor funds to make the film. They also were in the midst of remaking STATE FAIR, which was supposed to be a big Todd-AO production but lack of funds changed that. Universal and Ross Hunter jumped at the chance.
Matches what I have heard several times.

I am glad it was a Ross Hunter production. I think his style really fits the story.

Flower Drum Song (and also State Fair) are very different from the rest of the musicals. It is topical, lacks the timeless quality of the rest, and is a true musical comedy, It does not have the gravitas of the other films (although the immigrant experience and the generation gap are potentially serious issues but are allowed to be dealt with for their comedic dimensions).

I love it.

Universal had very few stereo productions during that period but they did spring for a good stereo sound track (3-track magnetic, missing the surround channel as far as I could tell), and it holds up.

The DVD is very nice. It has appeared on HDNet in HD looking plausible. Unhappily the sound on HDNet is almost never very good, generally all centered; this is observed on all productions not just Flower Drum Sound. We need a Blu-ray.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I watched 'Hello, Dolly!' last night, to kick off our musical movie week! :)

And, HOORAY, my Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection has gone into "Preparing for Shipment" status! :)

If anyone gets the set tomorrow (Monday), please be sure to stop by and tell the rest of us all about the set!

Edit: Amazon shipped my set via USPS. About 33% of the time, when Amazon ships me a Blu-ray on Sunday via USPS it arrives the next day, on Monday! We'll see if I get lucky with this one!

Mark

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
As of 3:17pm Sunday my R&H Collection is 352 miles away in Houston. Only 5 hours from New Orleans. I see a Tuesday morning delivery. Nice.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
ahollis said:
As of 3:17pm Sunday my R&H Collection is 352 miles away in Houston. Only 5 hours from New Orleans. I see a Tuesday morning delivery. Nice.
My package arrived in Houston this afternoon as well - and I'm in Houston! (Well, in League City, halfway between Houston & Galveston). Hoping for a Monday delivery...

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I just love this period of anticipation when the goods are on their way.

As a retired person with nothing better to do, I keep a watch on the front of the house for either the Postman on his motorbike (letters and small flat parcels) or the postal van (larger postage items) to stop outside the house and deposit that prized package.
This is real excitement at it's best.

:angry: Thing I hate most is when the van stops next door and I see him take in a DVD size parcel.
I'm sure he's delivered to the wrong house, even though my Wife thinks I'm crazy, which later proves that, as usual, she was right again. :mellow:

lb1.jpg

My lonely letterbox awaits for that magic moment (probably 5 0r 6 days away)

Doug.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
How amazing .. we're exactly the same. My wife thinks I'm mad too, for all sorts of reasons, but particularly because of my inordinate love of Blu rays esp. musicals!
And it's even worse for me since Woodend is just that bit further away than Melbourne, usually amounting to at least one day's further wait ....
That one hour by train translates to at least 24 hours by delivery services!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
AnthonyClarke said:
How amazing .. we're exactly the same. My wife thinks I'm mad too, for all sorts of reasons, but particularly because of my inordinate love of Blu rays esp. musicals!
And it's even worse for me since Woodend is just that bit further away than Melbourne, usually amounting to at least one day's further wait ....
That one hour by train translates to at least 24 hours by delivery services!
Slightly OT but you live in a lovely part of Victoria, Anthony. I've only visited Woodend once (on a 'pilgrimage' to Hanging Rock) and thought it most delightful.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Doug Bull said:
I just love this period of anticipation when the goods are on their way.

As a retired person with nothing better to do, I keep a watch on the front of the house for either the Postman on his motorbike (letters and small flat parcels) or the postal van (larger postage items) to stop outside the house and deposit that prized package.
This is real excitement at it's best.

:angry: Thing I hate most is when the van stops next door and I see him take in a DVD size parcel.
I'm sure he's delivered to the wrong house, even though my Wife thinks I'm crazy, which later proves that, as usual, she was right again. :mellow:

attachicon.gif
lb1.jpg
My lonely letterbox awaits for that magic moment (probably 5 0r 6 days away)

Doug.
The thing I hate most is seeing the parcel delivery guy drive up and down my hill without stopping, LOL. But its come to the point now where I can roughly pinpoint the times I'm most likely to receive deliveries on any given day.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Mine is now "preparing for shipment". I'll probably receive it a day or two later than most of you because it's going to my PO Box. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the DVD transfer of the 1962 State Fair (which I never got around to watching and indeed haven't seen in about 40 years) in anticipation for the big day later in the week.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Sometime within the last few hours, mine froze to where I can only "Request cancellation," rather than outright cancel it, which means it's shipping soon, although it still says "Pre-ordered" in orange above the order listing rather than "Shipping soon" or "Shipping now" or something like that. Amazon has been extremely slow about these sort of details in the past couple of months, but I imagine I will get shipping confirmation this afternoon. I have it set for release date delivery via the 2-day Prime shipping option, although essentially that's turning into one-day delivery because the shipping confirmation has not yet come through. When I clicked "Track package," it says:
STATUS: Shipping Now LATEST EVENT: Order Received - Mar 25, 2014 10:01:38 PM DESCRIPTION: We are processing your shipment now. We'll send you an e-mail when it has shipped. You can still request cancellation if you’ve changed your mind.

They are really cutting it close -- it must be coming from a fulfillment center here in Indiana. It will all be fine when I get it tomorrow, but I've noticed they've been shipping things out later and later and later.

Also, "Request cancellation" doesn't always work -- in fact, usually they just say they can't -- although there is no way I've changed my mind on this baby.

Incidentally, if I were to order it today with our 7% sales tax on top of the $179.99 price, the total would be $192 and change, which is hardly any money off of the $200 retail price listed. I wonder how many new orders they will really get at the current pricing and am surprised they don't at least restore the 30% discount that it was before it went down to $74. Oh well -- too bad for others, but I am so glad I got in on the cheap rate!

CMNash

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carlos M Nash
JakeLip said:
They are really cutting it close -- it must be coming from a fulfillment center here in Indiana. It will all be fine when I get it tomorrow, but I've noticed they've been shipping things out later and later and later.
I think it's Amazon's way of controlling when the shipment arrives; aiming to have it at doorsteps on Tuesday, and not earlier. I think you're right that it might be coming from a fulfillment center in Indiana. Mine is coming from Whitestown.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
This morning the tracking shows the disc I sin my home town and out for delivery, which means I should get it about three pm this afternoon..

Wow 11

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Mine shipped yesterday (Sunday), with a "guaranteed delivery date" of Tuesday. First up for me Tuesday night will be the Todd-AO Oklahoma. The LD was a real revelation to me at the time, and I suspect the new Blu-ray transfer will ratchet that experience up to eleven! I can't wait!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Mine has shipped but is not yet showing as "in transit" (not exactly a great sign as I've had things get lost at that stage) but, since I'm in Boston they have same day delivery available so I'm not too worried yet.

Any one reminded of this?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
CMNash said:
I think it's Amazon's way of controlling when the shipment arrives; aiming to have it at doorsteps on Tuesday, and not earlier.
Fair point, although especially since all of these films have been released several times and the youngest among them is 49 years old, it really shouldn't be that big of a deal if people get it a night early, but go figure, Amazon.

(Technically, we are all getting it a week early, if Fox's press release is to be believed. Solid miscommunication there. Not that I'm complaining, of course. ;))

CMNash

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carlos M Nash
Lucky for those whose shipment is already out for delivery. I must have jinxed myself by claiming Amazon is trying to get it to doorsteps on Tuesday. My shipment took a day and half to get from Indiana to Louisville KY. :( Unless there is a magical high speed truck/train/Tardis that'll zip down I-70, I won't get it until Tuesday afternoon.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Joe Caps said:
This morning the tracking shows the disc I sin my home town and out for delivery, which means I should get it about three pm this afternoon..

Wow 11
Please post some photos, Joe! :)

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks