A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

Great post. We're at a situation where William Goldman's dictum about Hollywood applies: "Nobody knows anything."

2. noel aguirre

noel aguirre Second Unit

noel
    A 20 year old Oklahoma THX LD is better. You should n't have to crank it up so high- Fox messed up Hello Dolly the exact same way. No oomph. And there is a echo in some schemes.
    For comparison The King and I is the way sound should be on a disc.

Ken Koc likes this.
  3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Maybe true, but we sure like to act like we know something.

ahollis likes this.
  4. Tom Logan

Tom Logan Stunt Coordinator

So if Goldman's dictum is correct, and Goldman is himself a Hollywood insider, then of course we can't trust his dictum. :)

More to the thread point, I appreciate the expertise, the screenshots, the impressions, the confessions of subjectivity, and the technical assistance offered in these threads. At the very least, it's a copout and meaningless hyperbole to retreat into "Nobody knows anything." People in this thread definitely know their shit, even allowing for differences in hardware, set-up, and sensory acuity.

And I, for one, want to hear from them.

Persianimmortal and ABaglivi like this.
  5. nealg

nealg Stunt Coordinator

Neal
    Color issues aside...

Regarding the i-Tunes vs. Blu-ray "King and I" caps above, the i-Tunes image appears squashed, or horizontally stretched. Faces and bodies appear correct, or I should say, more natural, in the blu-ray caps.

So, at least the blu-ray has one thing going for it. :)

6. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    You might need a lithium to get through this thread due to the mood swings from those who were so ecstatic and looking forward to this release to those who soon went blue at the King and I coloring.

When I think of all the times I've watched these movies on black and white round tube television screens, or with faded colors, pan and scan, tinny audio, green scratch lines running down the picture and non-stop commercial interruptions, well... count me in as someone very contented to have them like this. I was not even expecting to ever see blu-ray editions. It didn't take much to please us before, but we sure got picky.

I thank my mother for taking me to these live plays as a child, constantly playing the original Broadway cast recordings, and making me a fan of these films for life as a way of remember her gift of the love of music, staying the cock-eyed optimist, finding our way through the dark storms of life, and embracing love when we can find it. The joyful dance I had with my mother at my wedding was a fun waltz to "Shall We Dance," and I quietly (and poorly) sang "O What a Beautiful Morning" to her as she lay dying in hospice a few years ago.

I'm happy with these.

7. bryan4999

bryan4999 Supporting Actor

Bryan Forbes
    I think it is interesting that everyone has been unanimously enthusiastic about the visuals of Oklahoma!, and yet divided to the extreme on King and I (and to a lesser extent Carousel). I watched K&I on Vudu last night at the highest quality they offer, they say 1080p, I have no way to verify that, but on my projector at 110" the detail looked great. More importantly to me, however, the color looked beautiful to my eye. If I could have that on blu-ray I'd be more than happy. But, then, I don't know anything.

8. compson

compson Agent

Robert
    I don't have to crank it up very high. I wonder if you have an amplifier issue.

9. Michael1

Michael1 Stunt Coordinator

"And there you have it. Everyone is right, everyone is wrong, everyone knows everything and no one knows anything - in equal measures."

But some people present their opinions as if they are sure they know everything, while others are less adamant about it. Also, some people's opinions are much more persuasively argued than others' opinions, based on what is observable in these video transfers.

10. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    And as Groucho Marx once said:

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west. And if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.”

11. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    Then Dr. Sven would start talking about the "color" of the black and white. :blink:

JoshZ likes this.
  12. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    Nope. That was just an example of the range of out-of-the-box HDTV images I observed. In Costco, they were all lined up at an angle on top of the warehouse rows. Actually, the differences were somewhat more dramatic than this photo...I didn't spot any from the same manufacturer which were even accidentally close.

This was not a scientific analysis, merely stray observation. :wacko:

CMNash likes this.
  13. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    Due to the fact that my Wells Fargo checking/Visa debit account was fleeced by hackers in the Atlanta, GA. area 2+weeks ago, my shipment of this box set was delayed until payment could be made, which was 2 days ago...the discussion about the QC of these BD's is all over the map after reading 570+posts...I'll make up my own mind when my copy arrives on Monday...until then, I'll keep entertaining myself by reading the observations/opinions of the membership on this thread!!! :P

14. MarkW2

MarkW2 Agent

Mark White
    I can't wait till we an official review. From Robert Harris perhaps? It seems we have heard from only fans so far. We heard some interesting things about the set, but no official reviews yet.

15. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    My review copy has not arrived. His probably hasn't either.

16. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Screenwriter

Robert Smith
    Areas like original color balance of a film are not totally a matter of opinion even though they are tricky. Three points:

1. There is a reasonable range for differing opinions.
    2. Beyond that range, opinions are not reasonable. This is a statistical matter to some extent.
    3. Most importantly, there are ways to narrow if not resolve the disagreement in a scientific manner.

Some things we can do:
    1. Consult a number of people who saw it in original release.
    2. Consult original dye-transfer prints if they exist. [I understand that The King and I had dye-transfer TRAILERS, does anyone have one?]

This is not just a matter of opinion or consulting an oracular authority to decide the matter. It can be handled rationally and scientifically.

CMNash likes this.
  17. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I have a hard time thinking anybody can remember exact details from an original viewing, almost 60 years ago.

Craig S and John Hermes like this.
  18. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    The end of the problem. ( or is it )

I personally think the grey scale is all wrong.!! The blacks are too heavy, the whites don't seem right, the dress isn't how I remember it and as for that edge enhancement... ;)

king bw.jpg

Now where did I put my old "The King & I" soundtrack LP? I'm sure it has better sound.

Doug.

19. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    Tomorrows' delivery day!
    I've installed my brand-new 150 inch projector screen, done all projector alignments and everything's ready for tommorrow night's testings of each and every disc!
    I just hope my B & W sound system copes with the Oklahoma sound levels! And thanks Doug for the King and I warning .. I'll adjust for less blacks and see if I can swap that dress for something simpler...

ahollis likes this.
  20. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Not to mention being vertically and horizontally stretched. Recall! Rolling heads!

Doug Bull likes this.