What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Doug Bull said:
EG.
attachicon.gif
king4.jpg
attachicon.gif
king3.jpg
attachicon.gif
king1.jpg
attachicon.gif
king2.jpg

No Blue Wash to worry about here. :wacko:

Sadly the above scans are from one of those faded original 35mm prints from the 50s. :(

Doug.
Ouch, reminds me of my film collecting days. I had so many favorites that had turned red like that. There should have been a law that every print had to be IB Tech. :rolleyes:

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Mike Frezon said:
I've been looking tonight--unsuccessfully. I'm using a Panasonic 55ST50 Plasma.

None of the settings in the "Picture" menu seem appropriate. The "Aspect Adjustment" menu is grayed out.
Mike.
Instead of Picture, go to 'set-up'
click on 'other settings' - access.
On the following list you will see '16:9 overscan' - on-off.

That should do the trick.

Doug.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The last thing I want to do is hijack this thread with this issue...

But, Doug, I went to the set-up menu but there is no "other settings" menu inside. Grrrr.

We should probably take this to PM.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
bigshot said:
Oklahoma doesn't have botched sound. It has a remarkably wide dynamic range. If you go to the thunder crack at the end of the dream ballet, you'll discover that it peaks very high. The overall level is pushed down to accomodate the dynamic effects. They could have compressed the track and brought up the overall level, but instead they left it alone and kept the dynamic peaks in safe.When the volume is turned up, the sound is great. If it sounds muffled to you, it's probably because your amp doesn't have quite enough oomph.
Agreed. The soundtrack has a very wide sound stage with good depth. Instruments are carefully delineated. It's one of the best musical presentations I've heard from a BD. In my system, the vocals are not as prominent (compared with the instruments) as in the 4.0 CinemaScope version. I assume this was a choice made intentionally in the mix, but it may account for some of the complaints. To my ears, though, the sound is not muddled or botched. It's fantastic.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
Oh!

I think I found it!

I had to go to Picture/Aspect Adjustments/HD Size and change it from Size 1 to Size 2.

Now I see the full image as represented in those screencaps. :biggrin:
Mike,

i was getting ready to tell you that as you have you might have to change the Size like on my GT and ZT models. I just did the same thing for the Pork Chop Hill BD.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Mike,

i was getting ready to tell you that as you have you might have to change the Size like on my GT and ZT models. I just did the same thing for the Pork Chop Hill BD.
Robert:

Do you go back and forth between the sizes for different titles...or just leave it on Size 2 all the time?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
bigshot said:
Oklahoma doesn't have botched sound. It has a remarkably wide dynamic range. If you go to the thunder crack at the end of the dream ballet, you'll discover that it peaks very high. The overall level is pushed down to accomodate the dynamic effects. They could have compressed the track and brought up the overall level, but instead they left it alone and kept the dynamic peaks in safe.When the volume is turned up, the sound is great. If it sounds muffled to you, it's probably because your amp doesn't have quite enough oomph.
compson said:
Agreed. The soundtrack has a very wide sound stage with good depth. Instruments are carefully delineated. It's one of the best musical presentations I've heard from a BD. In my system, the vocals are not as prominent (compared with the instruments) as in the 4.0 CinemaScope version. I assume this was a choice made intentionally in the mix, but it may account for some of the complaints. To my ears, though, the sound is not muddled or botched. It's fantastic.
Yup. I'm in this camp, too.

I think I'm a much better judge of the SQ of releases than the PQ. I watched the Todd-AO Oklahoma and found no problems with the soundtrack.

The only potential anomaly I thought I heard was during the scene when Laurie showed up late to the Skidmore picnic and there was a brief dialogue between her and Will ("Where's Curley?", etc.). I thought I heard a slight echo on their lines. But I didn't go back to check.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
For Oklahoma! I was too amazed by the picture to worry about the sound. I merely turned it up.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
Robert:

Do you go back and forth between the sizes for different titles...or just leave it on Size 2 all the time?
I go back and forth. I'll play around with my settings to replicate whether I see the same thing you're seeing later today. The King and I, right?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
So, what have we learned here?

The King and I is a complete botch, color-wise, and heads should roll.
The King and I looks fine.
The King and I looks great and I like the color.
I like the DVD better.
The DVD isn't accurate.
Hang the colorist (perhaps some would prefer the crimson-faded Eastman prints color)

Oklahoma! ToddAO version looks amazing but the sound is a complete botch. Heads should roll. Recall!
Oklahoma! ToddAO version looks amazing and sounds amazing with its wide dynamic range. Bravo!

Carousel is too dark and the iTunes version has different color (read better)
Carousel is a tad dark but the color is right.
Carousel looked nothing like this
Carousel looks great, best ever on home video.
Heads should roll/Bravo

State Fair looks okay considering its age and the fact that Fox threw away all its three-strip negatives.

The Sound of Music is old news. But I distinctly remember a golden hue somewhere and Julie Andrew's blonde hair is some other color. What the hell?

South Pacific is old news.

And there you have it. Everyone is right, everyone is wrong, everyone knows everything and no one knows anything - in equal measures. Hence, the wonderful world of Blu-ray. :)

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
haineshisway said:
So, what have we learned here?

The King and I is a complete botch, color-wise, and heads should roll.
The King and I looks fine.
The King and I looks great and I like the color.
I like the DVD better.
The DVD isn't accurate.
Hang the colorist (perhaps some would prefer the crimson-faded Eastman prints color)

Oklahoma! ToddAO version looks amazing but the sound is a complete botch. Heads should roll. Recall!
Oklahoma! ToddAO version looks amazing and sounds amazing with its wide dynamic range. Bravo!

Carousel is too dark and the iTunes version has different color (read better)
Carousel is a tad dark but the color is right.
Carousel looked nothing like this
Carousel looks great, best ever on home video.
Heads should roll/Bravo

State Fair looks okay considering its age and the fact that Fox threw away all its three-strip negatives.

The Sound of Music is old news. But I distinctly remember a golden hue somewhere and Julie Andrew's blonde hair is some other color. What the hell?

South Pacific is old news.

And there you have it. Everyone is right, everyone is wrong, everyone knows everything and no one knows anything - in equal measures. Hence, the wonderful world of Blu-ray. :)
...or Occam's Razor?

0k7a.jpg

Coincidentally, I was standing in Costco just this afternoon waiting for my optical prescription to be filled*, and I happened to glance up at row upon row of HDTV's...representing all of the major brands...all sharing the same input...and yet none of them looking even remotely similar in terms of display characteristics. Not one...even from the same manufacturer.

Of course, nothing new about that side of the home video equation, but even straight out of the box, it seems every display manufacturer and model has a different approach - and bias - built into its HDTV rendering engine.

* More rose-coloured glasses...one can never have enough.

CMNash

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carlos M Nash
ROclockCK said:
...or Occam's Razor?

0k7a.jpg
Wait. That's a Costco? All the ones I've been to looks like a ginormous warehouse with no particular arrangement to their television section. Some are displayed on large shelves within an aisle; some on end caps; some on top of the actual boxes of television. They never made it fun or easy to do side-by-side comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks