What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Jon Baker

Second Unit
I wonder why mine still says pre-order. Did anyone else request free shipping?

...and for those of you who receive yours today please let us know what is there as far as extras.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Jon Baker said:
I wonder why mine still says pre-order. Did anyone else request free shipping?

...and for those of you who receive yours today please let us know what is there as far as extras.
I have Amazon Prime which includes 2 day free shipping. My order also says preorder. However if you click on the tracking button it says it is being prepared to be shipped. Still says estimated delivery by 8 PM on Tuesday.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Came home from a doctor's appointment to find a UPS envelope sitting on my doorstep. Going through each disc now. I'll update this post with a list of the extras as I go. So far, all supplements are standard definition. The only one of the bunch I own is Sound of Music, so I'm not able to compare the extras to previous releases.

State Fair

Commentary by Richard Barrios and Tom Briggs
Sing-Along
Music Machine (Jump straight to musical numbers.)
From Page to Screen to Stage: State Fair
Theatrical Trailer
Still Galleries

Oklahoma (Todd-AO)

Film Restoration (Menu pop-up letting you know the film is 1080i due to the 30fps frame rate.)
Commentary by Shirley Jones and Nick Redman
Sing-Along
Music Machine
Cinemascope vs. Todd-AO (12:06)
The Miracle of Todd-AO (11:41)
The March of Todd-AO (17:00)
Vintage Stage Excerpts
"Oh What a Beautiful Mornin'" performed by Gordon MacCrae
"People Will Say We're in Love" performed by Gordon MacCrae and Florence Henderson
Still Galleries
Theatrical Teaser
Theatrical Trailer

Oklahoma (Cinemascope)

Commentary by Ted Chapin and Hugh Fordin
Sing-Along
Music Machine

Carousel

Commentary by Shirley Jones and Nick Redman
Isolated Score
Sing-Along
Music Machine
Liliom (1934) (1:57:00)
Turns on the Carousel (22:36)
Vintage Stage Excerpt "You're a Queer One, Julie Jordan" and "If I Loved You" performed by Jan Clayton and John Raitt
Additional Songs
"You're a Queer One, Julie Jordan" performed by Barbara Ruick and Shirley Jones
"Blow High, Blow Low" performed by Cameron Mitchell and Chorus
Movietone News: Carousel Opens at N.Y. and Hollywood in Cinemascope 55
Theatrical Trailer
Still Galleries

The King & I

Commentary by Richard Barrios and Michael Portantiere
Composer's Isolated Score
Sing-Along
Music Machine
Something Wonderful: The Story of The King & I (21:43)
The Kings of Broadway (10:42)
The King of the Big Screen (5:04)
The King & I Stage Version (17:07)
The King and I Royal Archives (2:24)
Anna and the King TV Pilot (includes commentary by Samantha Eggar) (26:04)
Vintage Stage Excerpts: "Getting to Know You" and "A Puzzelment" performed by Patricia Morison and Yul Brynner
Additional Songs: "Shall I Tell You What I Think of You" performed by Anna
Restoring Cinemascope 55 (7:07)
Movietone News (A bunch. Too many to list right now.)
Trailers
Still Galleries

South Pacific

Appears to just be the same discs as previously-released.

The Sound of Music

Here's where the set falls down. It's simply Disc One from the previous release. If you have that, hold on to Disc Two. If you don't, you're missing a lot.

There you go! I'm happy to take a look and answer any questions that folks may have. I'm off all day today and am at your disposal for the next few hours.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Watching the Todd-AO Oklahoma right now. It's gorgeous. Clean, sharp, colorful, and with appropriate grain. I'm interested to hear what Mr. Harris has to say once he gets his copy.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
So South Pacific got two discs but Sound of Music just got one? I am thrilled about this release but that is a big omission, especially at that list price.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Mine shipped!

I wonder why Fox didn't just include the second disc of The Sound of Music. It can't add that much to the price to repress a disc that is already available. I will keep the original, but it would have been nice to be able to unload it. Oh well.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Film Restoration (Menu pop-up letting you know the film is 1080i due to the 30fps frame rate.)
I thought early on in this thread someone mentioned that a "fake" 1080i flag is sent to the player to trick it into thinking it's an interlace signal, but that it was actually 1080p. According to the menu pop-up on this disc that Brian referenced, I'm not sure that is the case. Is it truly an interlaced presentation, and if so, is there any downside to doing that? Apologies if this is a dumb question...just trying to understand how Fox is handling this whole Todd-AO thing on Blu-ray.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Jon Baker said:
I wonder why mine still says pre-order. Did anyone else request free shipping?...and for those of you who receive yours today please let us know what is there as far as extras.
I use prime after a long discussion on a thread with Ron E several years ago. I usually get deliveries day before or day of release. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Nice to hear about the isolated scores for Carousel and King and I. Sorry it is not available for all films in the set.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Could the interlacing just be converting from pure 30fps to 29.97? That would mean an interlaced frame every 30 seconds or so. Not a heck of a lot.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I have Amazon Prime but my delivery date is May 2-6 and it's still "preparing for shipment." I'm not eligible for 2-day shipping because it's going to my PO Box. However, most titles reach my PO Box only one day after release date. I'm still hoping that I might see something on Wednesday, but I suspect I might have to wait until the weekend.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My package hit my local post office at 5:31am this morning. Depending on when my carrier starts sorting his route, it's looking possible that I'll receive my copy today. Mail usually arrives between 10am and 3pm (never consistent).

From the press release photos, it seemed pretty obvious there would only be one 'The Sound of Music' disc. My plan was to figure a way to move the 2nd disc from the original release to the set and then give my 'The Sound of Music' disc (from the first release) to my daughter.

Mark

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Mark Booth said:
My package hit my local post office at 5:31am this morning. Depending on when my carrier starts sorting his route, it's looking possible that I'll receive my copy today. Mail usually arrives between 10am and 3pm (never consistent).From the press release photos, it seemed pretty obvious there would only be one 'The Sound of Music' disc. My plan was to figure a way to move the 2nd disc from the original release to the set and then give my 'The Sound of Music' disc (from the first release) to my daughter.Mark
I'm with you on that and also move the second disc of STATE FAIR with the 62 version in to the package too

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Brian Kidd said:
Watching the Todd-AO Oklahoma right now. It's gorgeous. Clean, sharp, colorful, and with appropriate grain. I'm interested to hear what Mr. Harris has to say once he gets his copy.
I have seen the other version in DVD.
Is the Todd-AO the best version of this film?

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Brian Kidd said:
Carousel

Vintage Stage Excerpt "You're a Queer One, Julie Jordan" and "If I Loved You" performed by Jan Clayton and John Raitt
Well, I know a certain young man on HTF who will be VERY happy to hear that!!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
As far as image and sound quality? Yes. It's an unusual situation in that, since the film was essentially shot twice, there are subtle differences in performances throughout the film. I don't know that either version is better than the other, film-wise. You should definitely see the Todd-AO version if you haven't, though. It was the one that likely mattered more to the filmmakers as it was the "prestige" version.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Just went through the set.

Some thoughts (some controversial).
State Fair - looks and sounds good.
Oklahoma Todd AO What a massive improvement
Only odd thing is that beginning with the dvd era, alltransfers inlduing both new ones here, get the opening of Act Two wrong. It is supposed to be day for night. Not completely night but dusk, including the carriage charging along a train. the train has its bright front light on, and the passage car is completely lit inside. Now every dvd transfer has it aa a straight day scen. Looks almost like high noon from the shadows.

Carousel, looks like its transferred a bit dark.
King and I - not sure what to make of this. Sarting with the scene where Anna is unpacking her clothes and sings Hello,Young Lovers, it looks as if it has been dipped in blue.
The music only track has the songs minus vocals, except for We Kiss in a Shadow which has the vocals up till Moreno enters and it sounds like Ritas voice, BEFORE she got duebbed in the film.
South Pacific - just the old blu set - everything is there.
Sound of music, same old Blu ray which I do not loke because -
A. the sound is not as good as it should be
B. The color is wrong. Both Julie Andrews and some of the kids had their hair died blonde for this film -- but it never looks blonde, looks more like dark red through the entire film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks