What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Raiders of the Lost Ark -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Dave MJ /t/323399/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-in-blu-ray/90#post_3971804
Hi Robert, Raiders is one of my all time favorite movies and I am intimiately familiar with the sound mix (I even have 2 different stereo cassette recordings I made in the theater as an 11 year old during the original 1981 run. I listened to them endlessly until the VHS was released years later) and am somewhat nervous that it will be different. Despite best intentions, there always seems to be differences in music levels, dynamic range, panning, etc. The DVD is mainly true to the dolby mix, but the surrounds were pumped up and the dynamic range was squashed in some places compared to the laserdisc. Was this a complete remix of the original elements, or just a remix of the main stems at higher quality? And what is an "optical SVA track"? I'm not familiar with that term.

In the next few days I will be posting a new interview with Ben Burtt (along with a transcript) about the work he did for the Blu-ray release.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Dave MJ said:
Hi Robert, Raiders is one of my all time favorite movies and I am intimiately familiar with the sound mix (I even have 2 different stereo cassette recordings I made in the theater as an 11 year old during the original 1981 run. I listened to them endlessly until the VHS was released years later) and am somewhat nervous that it will be different.
LOL I'm glad to know I wasn't the only kid that did that with Raiders!

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Adam Gregorich said:
In the next few days I will be posting a new interview with Ben Burtt (along with a transcript) about the work he did for the Blu-ray release.
Looking forward to it!

Albion

Agent
Real Name
Mark Davies
eric scott richard said:
Compare the original dvd of Alien to the blu ray and you will notice even more cropping.
Yes I've just made the same comparison.Had'nt noticed it before.With MS and LS the difference in detail appears fairly significant.
From the discussion I'm not sure why this has to happen.Ad naseum I am one for OCN,so the whole issue of less of the frame is a fascinating one.What technical processes are involved and what problems arise when it comes to extracting areas for DVD or Blu-ray.Seems to me that any area can be extracted.
For example the Blu-ray of Air Port contains a good deal more information than the DVD,featuring virtually all of the 70MM print.
It will be interesting to see the Indiana Jones Blu-ray's

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
For a digital projection this looked really nice. There are some photographic flaws in the cave at the opening of the movie which is fine and has always been there (the bit with the spiders and some shots of Alfred Molina) but it looked like the extreme "gate weave" or whatever it was tripped up the digital transfer a bit. Snake reflection is still gone, unfortunately. It's not just that they removed a charming flaw but Fords face always looked a little wierd to me where they had to digitally paint it in.
Digital projection, even at 2K has come a long way. If the technicians can start mastering films with a more hands-off approach and the pixel count can be significantly upped, I think I could live with it.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Scott Calvert said:
If the technicians can start mastering films with a more hands-off approach and the pixel count can be significantly upped, I think I could live with it.
The pixel count?! Of all the things to dislike about digital cinema! How much higher resolution than a print does it have to be before you'll deem it acceptable? Three times? Four?

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Doctorossi said:
The pixel count?! Of all the things to dislike about digital cinema! How much higher resolution than a print does it have to be before you'll deem it acceptable? Three times? Four?
When I can't see a digital pixel grid in fine details? Maybe at 4K, I dunno. I said it was a nice presentation, calm down.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Scott Calvert said:
When I can't see a digital pixel grid in fine details?
That would not be a product of the pixel count, but of the high (over) precision of the projector.

TomTom

Stunt Coordinator
There were some exterior day shots of the french bad guy Belloq and the German commander where there faces were extremely clean....almost too clean....no grain at all.
Sitting through the presentation, you certainly see a wide assortment of grain and no grain.
The fight in Marion's Bar with the big guy had some great detail in the clothing and the flames were really crisp & vibrant.
I will see it again in a day or two.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Doctorossi said:
Oh, right. In that case, never mind.
Thanks for the education. :rolleyes:
I thought that response was about on par with high (over) precision of the projector comment. LOL, heaven forbid the projector be in focus.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Scott Calvert said:
I thought that response was about on par with high (over) precision of the projector comment. LOL, heaven forbid the projector be in focus.
Ok, buddy. Let me know if and when you're ready to have a real conversation. Until then, I'll see you around.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any blu ray reviews yet? I am really looking forward to this set!
I know there was rumors it was supposed to be out a few years ago (around the time of Lego Indiana Jones 2 was released) but it was pushed back a bit.
Really excited to see and hear Raiders.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
dpippel said:
Despite a few issues, it was totally worth the $15. :banana:
I agree. I paid $14, but man, the audio was just way too loud in the Imax theater. This was the case when I saw Prometheus there too. I almost got up to tell management, but didn't want to miss any of the film.

Harmy

Agent
Real Name
Petr Harmacek
First, let me show you something; here a framing comparison between a BD and an actual theatrical projection from 35mm film (keep in mind the BD is already cropped compared to the OCN):
37beb070_Star252520Wars252520Episode252520IV252520A252520New252520Hope2525201977252520720p252520HDTV252520x264-DON_25fps.m2ts_snapshot_01.07.13_25255B2011.11.17_19.48.4225255D.jpeg

So, to simulate realistic theatrical conditions, you may need to crop considerably. But it wouldn't of course really make sense to do so.
Also, I have just read an article, where a film historian was talking about a restoration of a film and he was talking about the difference between restoration and remastering and his view was that a restoration is when the film is restored to it's original condition and a remastering is when it is taken further and an attempt is made to make it look even better than it originally did. What I read here seems to indicate that most people think it's the exact opposite, so it's hard to tell what's right.
Anyway, if there were no changes made to the Indy films (I heard that Spielberg said the cobra reflection and other imperfections would remain intact and my heart rejoiced, so I hope that's true) and no restoration work was needed, as it was in good condition, then I'd call it a preservation - the current state of the film got preserved for posterity.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Harmy said:
First, let me show you something; here a framing comparison between a BD and an actual theatrical projection from 35mm film (keep in mind the BD is already cropped compared to the OCN):
37beb070_Star252520Wars252520Episode252520IV252520A252520New252520Hope2525201977252520720p252520HDTV252520x264-DON_25fps.m2ts_snapshot_01.07.13_25255B2011.11.17_19.48.4225255D.jpeg

So, to simulate realistic theatrical conditions, you may need to crop considerably. But it wouldn't of course really make sense to do so.
Also, I have just read an article, where a film historian was talking about a restoration of a film and he was talking about the difference between restoration and remastering and his view was that a restoration is when the film is restored to it's original condition and a remastering is when it is taken further and an attempt is made to make it look even better than it originally did. What I read here seems to indicate that most people think it's the exact opposite, so it's hard to tell what's right.
Anyway, if there were no changes made to the Indy films (I heard that Spielberg said the cobra reflection and other imperfections would remain intact and my heart rejoiced, so I hope that's true) and no restoration work was needed, as it was in good condition, then I'd call it a preservation - the current state of the film got preserved for posterity.
The snake reflection is gone in the imax digital presentation currently playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks