A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Raiders of the Lost Ark -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Second Unit

Tom
    How about "This Film Has Been Restored. What's it to ya?"

2. Doctorossi

Doctorossi Supporting Actor

Strike two.

3. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    LOL and what exactly was the previous strike?
    I was kidding, but actually Crusade is my favorite of the series. Can't stand Doom and never saw Skull.

4. JustinFow

JustinFow Auditioning

Justin Fowler
    How about (in a deep voice) "Digitally F&$k Yeaaaaahhhh!!!!"?

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
  6. Doctorossi

Doctorossi Supporting Actor

Malcolm had offered me his impending copy of Crystal Skull at an appropriately knock-down price. To which I, of course, gave an appropriately knock-down answer.

7. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

When a car has some scratches, a couple dents and needs some touch ups, it's called "body work". Maybe we can call this type of work "4K Digital Bodywork"? :)
    Vincent

8. Albion

Albion Agent

Yes I am always a little surprised that the maximum available information on the OCN is not utilised.I hope to that we get a very broad sweep of the OCN,and not a selective extraction.
    You mention Jaws was from a print .Did'nt they go back to the OCN for that. I thought so,but still quite a lot of info(left and right) was left off the Blu-ray release. Framed exactly the same way as previous DVD's.
    If your going to provide a high quality Blu-ray release after either restoring or re-visiting the negative,may as give us everthing that's on it.
    This comment recognises of course the feelings of many that this forum in general wants what was shown in cinemas,however I do think that giving us what's on the OCN in this and many other cases hardly compromises the directors ultimate vision.

9. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm

10. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    Originally Posted by JoshZ View Post
    Clearly, the proper course of action is to invent a new word that combines the best qualities of both phrases. Therefore, I humbly submit: "Digital Remastoration(TM)." I'm slapping a trademark on that right away. I expect reimbursement when studios start using it in their marketing materials, e.g. "This film has been digitally remastorated."
    That's good thinking, Josh, and I think robert harris would approve.
    But this could be improved on just a tad if we made it 'digitally remastorisated' .. those two extra letters do lend even more authority to the statement!

11. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

All I know is that this is a pretty good year for Blu-Ray. Jaws, E.T., and Indy. Add to that the complete Bond movies, Hitchcock set, and Universal monsters and I am one happy guy. Broke, but happy.

12. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    Right. Just like the movies. 'Full-Throttle Restoration: Genesis II: The Redemption'

13. lutefiskwhisker

lutefiskwhisker Auditioning

Perhaps it can be referred to as a "Digital Recalibration" or "Digitally Remastered and Recalibrated"
    or "Uber Bits Version" :D
    ge

14. Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr Second Unit

I vote for "Digitally Re-kajiggered"
    [​IMG]

15. Osato

Osato Producer

Robert - Thanks for the post and additional information about the release.
    I am really looking forward to picking up this set!!!!

16. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I heard that there may be a fifth Indy movie in the works. If so, I hope it is much better than Crystal Skull.

17. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I like Renovation. It seems like a nice middle ground term between Restoration and Remastered.

18. Mark Oates

Mark Oates Supporting Actor

Me too. Remastered implies untouched but freshly transferred. Renovation implies a new coat of paint and a bit of spit and polish. Restoration implies restored to its original condition.
    I'd suggest "Full Gamut" Restoration for work done to the OCN (or producing a new safety negative) as opposed to "Digital Restoration" which of course would be restricted to files producing mastering material.

19. JParker

JParker Second Unit

Why not "Digitally Detailed for Blu-ray" if we're using car analogies? It's more like clean up and polishing than anything else...
    For the marketing folks at Paramount, what about "New 4K scan" and "optimized for Blu-ray"?
    I'll be waiting for the individual films but it's possible Amazon will have a sale and offer this over 50% off a few months after release, or a few weeks, like this week's FOREVER MARILYN sale but it's possible it's due to Fox.

20. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    If the final release on Blu ray resembles what was released at cinemas or what is on the OCN and nothing has been changed and they are using digital tools for the job then call it digitally restored, if they alter the look then call it digitally altered or a digital f*** up, they can also tell us the film scanning resolution and that would satisfy me.

Frankly it doesn't matter too much, it's all marketing bull, anyone remember "The look and sound of perfect" even when some of it was atrocious quality.