What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Michel_Hafner said:
About same number of pixels as Red Dragon, but a lot bigger pixels so less noise. And needs different lenses due to sensor size. Kind of digital 65mm. Red will counter with an 8K sensor soon, it seems.
I see these as very specialized. Unless one is doing a large format production, in which detail is of the highest importance, high density, larger chips only add cost at almost every level of production.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Dolby also does HDR monitors for post production work. HDR projectors are interesting, but I'm not sure I want brighter projectors in cinemas. Certainly not if the black levels get even worse that way. I want darker blacks and higher contrast first. Then they can raise peak white as long as black stays fixed.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
When "Joe Six Pack" can walk into a Best Buy or Costco and buy a larger screen than I have in my HT now (120") that's when I'll consider upgrading.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
Robert Harris said:
I like the look of a curved screen at my local movie theater and I find the sight of a curved flatpanel TV set is reminiscent enough of it to draw my attention to the curved version over the flat versions on the retail floor these days. I don't see that mind/memory association element on the "Advantages" list, but it is there all the same, imo. It just looks more like the theatrical format I've grown accustomed to over decades of going to commercial theaters. Moreover, the higher-end movie theaters downtown were the ones that had the curved screens while the bargain houses in the neighborhood still had flat screens. So that is still in my mind when I see curved TVs in the retail stores. Can't be avoided, measurable technical advantages/disadvantages or not.

However, the real temptation to upgrade for me will be when there are 84" or larger 2.35:1 curved screen flatpanel tvs (with 3D capability would be nice) on the sales floor for what a regular flat screen 65" TV is going for now. At that point, the temptation to move into a curved movie-watching world in my own living room will be too great for me to resist. Can't say I'm all that fired up about 55"-80" 1.78:1 curved screens over flat ones. But when they get to routinely producing 84" or larger 2.35:1 screens, I'll be ready to go curved.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Michel_Hafner said:
The Arri will certainly be used a lot less than Red Dragons. But people like Christopher Nolan might be interested.
Not until such time as celluloid is no longer even a far-flung option. Nolan is fighting for film to his (or its) last breath.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks