A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jan 23, 2011.

1. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Screenwriter

David Matychuk
    In Vancouver, "Lord Jim" played at the then-new Odeon on Granville. Tickets were reserved seating (physical tickets!), and to my young mind, it was as classy and powerful an experience as going to "Mary Poppins" a few weeks earlier, and to "My Fair Lady" a few weeks later, both in old-school Vancouver movie palaces. Many years later, watching "Lord Jim" at home makes it seem to me that I was probably just thrilled to see the "Lawrence Of Arabia" guy in another big confusing exotic adventure, but count me in for that Blu-Ray.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Actually, it was White House Down that had the bit with Lawrence playing in the president's home theater.

3. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Yeah I must been confused with both films :rolleyes: same storyline. DIE HARD in the White House.

I bought Olympus Has Fallen on bluray and must have watched White House Down on youtube and soon forgot about how both where dreadful.

4. ShellOilJunior

ShellOilJunior Stunt Coordinator

Lord Jim could've been so much better if it wasn't in Richard Brooks' hands. He took an excellent novel and produced a film that's just OK (He managed to do this even with O'Toole and Young). The same may be said for In Cold Blood. Decent film but Brooks' screenplay didn't spend nearly as much time with the family and rural, small town life as needed.

I know many won't agree with my opinions here but I tend to agree with Welles' stance on adaptations - direct the film like you wrote novel.

5. owen35

owen35 Stunt Coordinator

Steve
    Agreed. I would also recommend Gene D. Phillips' biography as well. Not as dense as Brownlow's, but a quick, insightful read.

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I couldn't care less about white walls as my dedicated room is completely black; black carpet, Rosco black velour paint, and 30" of Protostar light absorption around the screen. The JVC is FAR better for contrast and blacks than any Sony under these conditions. Zero comparison. If you spend any amount of time in the AVS front projection forums, a number of people have compared the 4K Sonys to the JVCs - and the Sonys get smoked when it comes to contrast and blacks under the "dark" conditions. I've also talked to my professional calibrator who has done many JVCs and a number of Sony 4Ks. The Sony does offer a lot more brightness IF you need it. I suppose if you are suffering with white walls, you will need it, but white walls are far from ideal for any FP really.

As far as brightness, I am more than happy with 11 to 12.5 ftL in MY environment. I could go much higher on my RS4810. Anything brighter is eye strain for me with a screen of my size and seating distance.

Contrast is the most important factor for image quality. Other things are important, but contrast always stands out which is why a good plasma is so much better than a good LED.

7. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

Dave, there is ANSI contrast and there is On/Off contrast - the JVC only has higher On/Off contrast but less ANSI which is evident in mixed scenes. So it would help if you would not continue to just say that the JVC has higher contrast - On/Off yes, ANSI not.

8. JoshZ

JoshZ Second Unit

Joshua Zyber
    DLP fans like to boast about the high ANSI contrast on their projectors, but the reality of the matter is that On/Off is the more important contrast stat. Pretty much any projector, even a low-end LCD, will look good when displaying bright imagery with little bits of black in it. Your eyes are naturally drawn to the bright parts of the image, and the blacks will always look dark enough in comparison.

When you talk about a projector having "good contrast," what you really want to know is how it fares when viewing a predominantly dark scene. A projector with high ANSI contrast is still going to have milky, elevated black levels in nighttime scenes, and that stands out much worse than poor black levels in a bright scene.

I own both a JVC D-ILA and a DLP. Both projectors have their strengths and weaknesses, and I like them both. But there's no question that D-ILA trounces everything else when it comes to contrast performance, ANSI be damned.

davidmatychuk likes this.
  9. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

Actually CRT still has the best contrast of all projector technologies - I still have 9" CRT and its black level trounces even the D-ILAs :)

10. AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner Banned

I'm going on a little Lawrence trip this week - Clouds Hill, Moreton and Wareham.

11. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Thank you.

12. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I think what you will find is that DLP projector owners will boast about the perfect 3D, zero visible crosstalk, absolutely stunning 3D, that's one area where other projector technologies are playing catch up, they will probably never catch up and if Texas Instruments are wise and have a 4K solution in the pipeline it's possible they will improve black levels with that 4K solution, of course improving black levels is also down to the design of the projector model and light path, but if that happens and it eventually filters down ( over many years - not talking about this decade ) to the cheaper brands then it can only be good for consumers.

Of course if you don't care about 3D then it doesn't matter, i love good native shot 3D films.

13. JoshZ

JoshZ Second Unit

Joshua Zyber
    Yes, and that's exactly why I have two projectors in my home theater. :)

Reed Grele likes this.
  14. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    FoxyMulder likes this.
  15. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    But will it warp in the desert heat?

16. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    A '58 Buick would warp in the desert heat...RAH

Moe Dickstein likes this.
  17. bruceames

bruceames Supporting Actor

Bruce Ames
    I could be wrong, but I heard someone say that those 10 free movies on the X1 were not 4K, just regular HD quality. Anyway the X10 is coming out next month with more features but no free movies included.

18. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Pretty sure they were 4K otherwise they would just have provided them via the usual disc route.

19. bruceames

bruceames Supporting Actor

Bruce Ames
    You're probably right, as I just heard it from one poster. Anyway I really am looking forward to watching It Happened One Night and especially Lawrence of Arabia in 4K when I get the X10 next month.

20. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

You should also check out The Bridge on the River Kwai!From what I hear you get to download for free a small sniplet of each movie and then you can do your own comparison of how much difference you are seeing. The "problem" with 4k is that there is not much difference if you are not at an appropriate viewing distance of about one screen width away, maybe 1.2 screen widths tops in most cases.

bruceames likes this.