A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal Screenwriter

Koroush Ghazi
    This made me wonder, why hasn't anybody made Lawrence of Arabia 2: Revenge of the Fallen yet?

2. owen35

owen35 Stunt Coordinator

Steve
    The plans are in the works. I've heard rumors that Ben Affleck was in the lead for the role and Michael Bay is tapped to direct. Should be awesome!!

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

With a cameo by Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft! Cross-pollination of franchises!

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    One day they will do a remake, it won't even be filmed in the desert, they will use green screens and CGI in the backgrounds and the cast of thousands will actually just be a dozen real people, it won't be four hours long either, it'll be a tight two hours and twenty minutes and they will change things slightly and probably replace the camels with horses, also Lawrence Of Arabia will have a sequel where he fights the alien invaders in Roswell New Mexico.

I think they will get Quentin Tarantino to write the script so expect Lawrence to utter a few F-words and Ben Affleck isn't starring in it, he will be directing it, they're get Benedict Cumberbatch to star in it, one because he is a Brit and can do the language and two because his last name reduces the masses to fits of giggles and they want some humour in there.

Lawrence Goes To Arabia will be the title of the first one, the sequel will be called Lawrence Whups Martian Ass.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

[Don LaFontain] In a world...with a lot of sand. One man, one very pretty man, is determined to fulfill his destiny.

This time, it's personal. [/Don LaFontain]

6. JoshZ

JoshZ Second Unit

Joshua Zyber
    Any remake of Lawrence will have to be reworked into a science fiction epic.

Lawrence of Andromeda.

Pre-production starts tomorrow. Budget $325 million. The director will be some 2nd Unit VFX guy who's never worked with live actors before. No writers have been hired, nor are any needed. The script will just be recycled from Avatar/Dances With Wolves: Heroic white guy travels to far-off land to lead a tribe of "noble savages" too helpless and incompetent to take care of themselves. Blah blah blah... Evil corporate imperialists... etc. etc. Beyond that, the cast can ad-lib it and fill in the blanks as they go. Release date three months from today.

7. Persianimmortal

Koroush Ghazi
    I hope the studios are paying attention, because this really does sound like money in the bank to me.
    The only thing I can add is that it would make sense to use Will Smith in the sequel to the reboot. He would be playing the role of T.E. Lawrence's great grandson, Darryl "L-Dog" Lawrence, a wise-talking adventurer with a penchant for smacking people upside the head. Include some transforming robots and/or a corporate/government conspiracy, set it in space or in a dystopian future, and the thing basically writes itself.

I didn't know him personally, but I think I can safely say that if Sir David Lean were alive today, he would wholeheartedly support such a project. Make it happen Hollywood.

8. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Didn't they already make a sequel for TV?

9. Persianimmortal

Koroush Ghazi
    Wow, they did too. The joke's on me. It's apparently called A Dangerous Man: Lawrence After Arabia. Not quite as catchy as the titles we've come up, or something like Lawrence 2: The Ottoman Empire Strikes Back, but still, not a bad title. Good to see Hollywood ahead of the game when it comes to making sequels. Now we definitely need a prequel or a reboot to complete the set.

10. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    It was discussed in the thread like 100 pages or so back

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I hope they're also able, then, to find a role for Jaden Smith...

12. Cinescott

Cinescott Supporting Actor

Scott
    After Prometheus, I've often wondered how Michael Fassbender would have done in the Lawrence role. Pretty well, I imagine.

13. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I first saw Lawrence on the ABC network Sunday Night Movie in the mid-70's. As was their usual practice with long movies, the film was shown over two successive nights. They ended the telecast of Part One just before the "Who are you?" moment, when Farraj implores Lawrence to ride with him on the camel, rather than walking. Part Two began the next night with Lawrence and Farraj coming up on the shacks. I video-taped the ABC version a few years later when it was rebroaadcast and I had a VCR; so I saw that version many times before Lawrence was restored. I've always sort of thought of that point as the intermission moment rather than the real intermission that occurs after the Allenby scene.

14. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
  15. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    For those so inclined, TCM is presenting The Story of Film, a 15 part documentary of the history of film. It is based on Mark Cousins book of the same name. I own the book and have seen a few of the episodes and found both to be well worthwhile.

Cousins does a very good job of contrasting things, periods, films, historical perspective and the like. The only negative (for some) is that he definitely has a world view perspective of films almost to the point that one might consider that Hollywood gets short-changed in the overall content. As I'm always interested in discovering world film, I found that actually to be a bit of a benefit.

The first episode is being repeated tonight (technically Wednesday morning at 4 a.m. eastern standard time and will be featured Mondays and Tuesdays into December. Worth DVR ...ing.

http://www.tcm.com/storyoffilm/

Reed Grele likes this.
  16. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    I believe that whole series is up on Netflix as well

Reed Grele likes this.
  17. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Reed Grele likes this.
  18. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
  19. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Just saw that the other day. One of the very best yet!

20. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris