What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Since this thread hasn't really been about Lawrence of Arabia in a long time, I nominate that the thread title be changed to "A Few Words While We Wait." Who's with me? :)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
JoshZ said:
Since this thread hasn't really been about Lawrence of Arabia in a long time, I nominate that the thread title be changed to "A Few Words While We Wait." Who's with me? :)
I used to open this thread thinking it's related to Lawrence of Arabia and still occasionally do out of habit. I nominate "A Few Words While We Wait for the Next Big Release."

Randiego

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy Allen
At the risk of bringing the discussion somewhat on topic, has anyone read the new book LAWRENCE IN ARABIA by Scott Anderson? I just ordered it, but then, I am an easy sell on this subject. By the way, this may be the best thread on the internet.

http://www.amazon.com/Lawrence-Arabia-Deceit-Imperial-Making/dp/038553292X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377460591&sr=1-1&keywords=lawrence+in+arabia and http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/11/books/review/lawrence-in-arabia-by-scott-anderson.html?pagewanted=all

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Randiego said:
At the risk of bringing the discussion somewhat on topic, has anyone read the new book LAWRENCE IN ARABIA by Scott Anderson? I just ordered it, but then, I am an easy sell on this subject. By the way, this may be the best thread on the internet.

http://www.amazon.com/Lawrence-Arabia-Deceit-Imperial-Making/dp/038553292X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377460591&sr=1-1&keywords=lawrence+in+arabia and http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/11/books/review/lawrence-in-arabia-by-scott-anderson.html?pagewanted=all
It's a toss up between this thread and the where to buy Scooby snacks thread.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Cremildo said:
Why is there no specific thread for Masters of Cinema? Their announcement yesterday was quite important.
There is one. You'll find it in the "International" Forum.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
I've been watching Lawrence of Arabia again . . . and I noticed something strange. In the early scene with Donald Wolfit and Claude Rains, Wolfit goes to the window and smoke appears to come out of his mouth but he is not smoking in the scene. I wondered about cold air outside but hardly in Sevilla . . .

I also wondered about the placement of the intermission. I must confess to finding Part One very long indeed with too many desert scenes. I did think DL was exactly right to cut out that scene just before the feast in Auda's tent - all those horses and camels riding around in circles doesn't serve any purpose at all, except to say 'this is a big epic movie and we've spent tons of money.'

So I thought, maybe the intermission should have come at the Suez Canal, ending with the 'who are you?' shot of Lawrence and then fade to the interval, thus opening Part Two in the entry into Cairo.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
While the intermission's going on...
Robin9 said:
I have 'International' selected in my filters but haven't seen anything. Did a title search on 'Masters of Cinema' and found one thread with five posts in 2005, so I'm missing something here. Can you please provide a pointer to the active thread? Thanks!

EDIT: I did find a couple titled 'Eureka'.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Robin9 said:
Charles Smith said:
I have 'International' selected in my filters but haven't seen anything. Did a title search on 'Masters of Cinema' and found one thread with five posts in 2005, so I'm missing something here. Can you please provide a pointer to the active thread? Thanks!

I think THIS is the thread...

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Somewhat off topic here, but did anyone catch Kevin Spacey's excellent speech at The James MacTaggart Memorial Lecture for the Edinburgh International Television Festival? Aside from being a terrific speech on the future of television, he gives particular praise and foresight to David Lean when Lean spoke at his Lifetime Achievement Award in the 90's. (Spacey also humorously says "Two things you should know: One, David Lean directed 'Lawrence of Arabia,' and, two, if you don't know who David Lean is, (then) you are in the wrong business.")

Lean's speech was not your typical "thank you" speech that one hears on these occasions. This evening Lean spoke passionately about the "money people" opening up their wallets and supporting the new generation of filmmakers. He wanted producers to take risks! To stop "coming out of the same rabbit hole" as Noel Coward said to Lean. His plea for originality is even more important today than it was in 1990 as we are only fed Digital Effects-only movies and sequel after sequel.

I'd recommend seeing the speech as Spacey does a masterful job. http://youtu.be/oheDqofa5NM%C2

If you wish to check out Lean's (edited) speech, you can watch it here:

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Hmmm, for some reason Spacey's speech got stripped. Let's try again:

Also, I incorrectly quoted Lean: It is "stop coming out the same hole". The rabbit was of my own invention. :)

nikonf5

Agent
Real Name
Mian
owen35 said:
Somewhat off topic here, but did anyone catch Kevin Spacey's excellent speech at The James MacTaggart Memorial Lecture for the Edinburgh International Television Festival? Aside from being a terrific speech on the future of television, he gives particular praise and foresight to David Lean when Lean spoke at his Lifetime Achievement Award in the 90's. (Spacey also humorously says "Two things you should know: One, David Lean directed 'Lawrence of Arabia,' and, two, if you don't know who David Lean is, (then) you are in the wrong business.")

Lean's speech was not your typical "thank you" speech that one hears on these occasions. This evening Lean spoke passionately about the "money people" opening up their wallets and supporting the new generation of filmmakers. He wanted producers to take risks! To stop "coming out of the same rabbit hole" as Noel Coward said to Lean. His plea for originality is even more important today than it was in 1990 as we are only fed Digital Effects-only movies and sequel after sequel.

I'd recommend seeing the speech as Spacey does a masterful job.
Coming from a HUGE Spacey fan, yes, he does do a masterful job which is not surprising considering his natural gift for oratory, and even though it came in at 45+ mins, I actually listened to the whole thing at work.

If I were an American actor going to the UK and I was planning to talk about creativity, originality and studio exec risk-taking in TV, I would probably not use a US TV show that is, in some ways , a re-make of a UK TV show.

Also ironic, the original was released by the BBC the same year that Lean made the speech.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks