What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Cloud Atlas -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There aren't nearly enough Event films made these days, and when they do appear, the majority don't encourage you to try to think.
Having now seen Cloud Atlas, I'm thinking. Trying to work my way through this very special film.
A film that reminds the viewer how extraordinary truly great cinema can be, and how when done right can be a muli-layered ceaseless wonder of sound and image.
I can't wait to see what multi-disc plans Warner Bros. has for this one.
And while we wait, I suggest a visit to a quality theatre, for a very worthwhile experience, after which, with spoilers carefully hidden, a discussion will be warranted.
RAH

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Sadly this came and went locally within a couple of weeks and I didn't get to see it. So unless it hits our second run theatre, it will have to be blu ray. I am a big fan of Tykwer and was intrigued by what I have read about this film. The sad fact is that in most smaller markets, like here in Richmond, Va, if a film is not a major hit, it disappears from screens very quickly... or is relegated to the tiniest of the multiplexes. I had wanted to see this on a really big screen. Guess that is not going to happen.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I liked it a lot, but thought it fell short of being great. Good ideas well presented, but there was just something about it that ultimately kept me from falling in love with it. It's a very divisive film critically, with a huge number of absolutely dreadful reviews, while other critics speak as if it's a classic for all time.
Well worth seeing and the actors are wonderful as is the score.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I was lucky enough to see this via a screener with a couple of friends. We were all glad for the chance to be able to run the movie back at certain moments.
All three of us really liked it - but would turn to the others and say things like "you like this, right?"
Got the book for kindle a while back but its moved to the top of my reading list and going to go see it in the theater again next week.
I can tell this is one I'll be watching many times and discovering new things each time. Hope we get a commentary track and a Dangerous Days type documentary. This is a film worthy of contemplation and analysis
and enjoyment.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Had me pulling up film titles as I watched, seeing comparisons / parallels.
Adrian Messenger, Bladerunner, Tron, Soylent Green, et al

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I liked it a lot too. It's definitely one of my top 10 films of the year. Glad I wasn't discouraged by some of the mixed reviews.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Damn it, I think it was here and gone. Or was it? I thought so. Maybe it's still playing in the city.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Saw the film twice (rare for me) - enjoyed it more the first time but it's definitely a film that has re-watch value. Can't wait for the Blu-ray. Something tells me this will be one of Warner's "let's release it with nothing and move on" titles since it didn't break box office records. Would be a shame if it happens.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
It's an interesting, if not entirely successful film. I found most of the gimmicky makeup distracting, and some of it (all the race and gender swapping) borderline offensive. I also felt that both Hanks and Berry were miscast in most of their (multiple) roles. The Wachowskis' sci-fi stuff was pretty cheesy and video game-y. (I swear, the laser pistols actually make "Pew Pew" sounds.)
With that said, it somehow pulls together and is ultimately quite emotionally engaging. I'd watch it again, and it has me interested to read the book (which I understand has a completely different story structure).

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
From what I understand the book lays out the first half of each of the 6 stories in order, with each story being read or viewed by the protagonist of the next piece.
All the stories cut off midway, and then the second half of the book wraps up each story going backwards in order, so it starts with the composer reading the lawyer's journal, then the reporter reading the composer's letters, etc so forth to the post-apocalyptic story, and then backwards through the order ending again with the lawyer's story.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Moe Dickstein said:
From what I understand the book lays out the first half of each of the 6 stories in order, with each story being read or viewed by the protagonist of the next piece.
All the stories cut off midway, and then the second half of the book wraps up each story going backwards in order, so it starts with the composer reading the lawyer's journal, then the reporter reading the composer's letters, etc so forth to the post-apocalyptic story, and then backwards through the order ending again with the lawyer's story.
Not quite. The six stories go from earliest to latest, and each story stops at the halfway point (except for the post-apocalyptic story, which is told straight through.). Then the stories conclude in reverse order. The protagonist of the next piece does not necessarily read or view the previous story. In the case of the first story, we are reading his journal. In the case of the second story, we are reading the letters to Sixsmith. The seventies story is told by an omniscient author. The present-day story is told by the subject of the story. The future story of Somni 451 is told through an interview with her. The post-apocalyptic story is told in the oral tradition.
The stories all link in one way or another.
The composer writes young Sixsmith that he is reading the journal but that half the book is missing. The 70's journalist meets older Sixsmith and finds his letters, reads them, then seeks the Cloud Atlas Symphony. The publisher receives a manuscript for the seventies story, a Luisa Rey mystery. Somni 451 sees a movie based on the publisher's tale. Somni 451 is the deity in the post apocalypse.
The movie loses the rigid 6-story structure, but the screenplay makes perfect sense. It loses a lot of detail.
I can't wait to see the movie again.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I should actually read before I comment lol. I said what you said about how the stories are arranged but maybe I said it unclearly. I knew that the stories were present in the next story (as in the letters) but I see I was mistaken about that being the means for telling the stories.
I almost just want to wait to buy it so I can watch it a whole lot all at once, definitely want to watch it again in BD not on DVD again

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
cineMANIAC said:
Saw the film twice (rare for me) - enjoyed it more the first time but it's definitely a film that has re-watch value. Can't wait for the Blu-ray. Something tells me this will be one of Warner's "let's release it with nothing and move on" titles since it didn't break box office records. Would be a shame if it happens.
Yes, unfortunately Cloud Atlas did not find a big audience when looked at in relation to the understandably expensive price of the film (which shows up on screen). Anyway, the budget was said to be around $100 million, but the world wide box office is less than half of that. This film might find a good audience on home video over time. From box office mojo:
Cloud Atlas
Distributor: Warner Bros. Release Date: October 26, 2012
Genre: Sci-Fi Runtime: 2 hrs. 44 min.
MPAA Rating: R Production Budget: N/A
Domestic: $25,214,054 56.5%
+ Foreign: $19,421,028 43.5%
= Worldwide: $44,635,082

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I didn't see it. But was at a party where the film came up in conversation. The two people that saw it were beyond being disappointed in the film ... so I'm not exactly surprised it bailed from theatres so quickly.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw it opening night in IMAX, and was surprised that even in NYC (where most Friday night movies, especially on the IMAX screens, seem to sell out regardless of what they are), the theater was mostly empty.
I wanted to like the movie - I like rewarding ambition, I like when filmmakers take risks, I like when something unconventional finds a way to sneak into the mainstream marketplace. But I was underwhelmed by the movie. I don't remember which review I read that said this, but I believe the reviewer's quote was that the movie was "about a mile wide but only an inch deep" and unfortunately that's how I felt. At no point did I find myself surprised by anything I saw onscreen; I felt like I was at least ten minutes ahead of the filmmakers at all time. I never felt much of an emotional connection to the characters, nor did I feel any suspense about what might happen next. I find I can live without suspense if I feel an emotional connection to the story (or can do without an emotional connection if I'm at the edge of my seat), but I felt neither here. I liked the concept of having the same actors playing multiple characters of various genders, ages and ethnicities, but found the execution to be more "Saturday Night Live"-parody style than truly dramatic or effective.
I really wanted to like this movie going in but didn't expect too much either - and I found it overall to be a very "meh" kind of experience. Some decent ideas, some interesting and unconventional choices, but a very "blah" final result.
That said, I'm glad I saw it and at a decent theater with good projection... movies like this I'm usually very happy to give a try, even if they don't ultimately work out for me. I wouldn't not recommend it, and have suggested it to a few friends who I think would enjoy it more than I did. Overall the movie left my cold, and while I'm somewhat sure about why, I'm not entirely sure.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
Missed this, and it was gone before I heard about it. Will definitely catch it on blu-ray; despite its length I suspect it'll have good repeat value.

sgtpepper

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris A.
I totally agree with RAH, my wife and I were going to go see a movie while our daughter went to a friends house and I couldn't find anything that started at the right time and was anything I wanted to see. But then I came across Cloud Atlas, I had honestly never heard of it, which is weird, because like everyone here I'm always on top of stuff like that. I saw the trailer and thought "MAN that looks amazing", and IMO it was. I really can't wait for the Blu Ray when it comes out.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Cloud Atlas will be released to home video February 5, 2013. I've got my preorder in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks