While the City Sleeps (Aspect Ratio)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by flagbrothers, Oct 13, 2010.

1. flagbrothers

flagbrothers Stunt Coordinator

Can someone confirm the proper aspect ratio of "While the City Sleeps"? Image Entertaiment released this film on laser disc in the early 90's with an aspect ratio of 1:78. The IMDB has it listed at 2:00. The UK dvd release has it at 1:37. I have read that 1:37 is the proper ratio however, when it was released, RKO decided to have the film matted to accomodate CinemaScope screens thus giving it a 2:35:1 ratio. Does anyone know what is the true ratio of this film?

2. MLamarre

MLamarre Second Unit

Matthew Lamarre
    You can ask Warner Archive on their Facebook page, they're apparently remastering it right now.

3. cadavra

cadavra Stunt Coordinator

mike schlesinger
    Since it was made in 1956 and was shot flat, it's "1.85 safe," meaning that is the preferred AR, but it can also be shown 1.33 without worry of boom mikes or other not-to-be-seen ephemera being visible (this was done for the sake of small-town theatres that might not yet have converted their screens to accomodate CinemaScope).

Mike S.

4. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    The

Being shot flat, and 'protected', opens up a range of ratios for projection, I suppose.

5. flagbrothers

I just read the Widescreen Museum's description of the SuperScope process. They contend that the process is the same as Super 35mm. If this is the case, the image is truly 1.37 matted to 2.00:1. The Super 35mm process was used for "The Terminator 2" that shows more information on the top and bottom of the screen but was matted to give a Scope presentation. Also, I happen to notice that the Scope advertisement is only on foreign posters. No American release poster advertise this as a Scope film.

6. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Jack Theakston is your man for this, and I understand he contends, generally, 1.85:1 for US showings, 2.00:1 Superscope for Europe.

7. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Supporting Actor

Gregory Mesh
    Here's what Exposure Cinema sent to me Re: aspect ratio. You can also find it in the review of the disc at Fritz Lang

8. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    There's a world of difference in how a film is shot and how it's framed. And it's obvious, despite Lang's distaste for the process, from pretty much any of the 'grabs that this film was not framed with Academy as the principal screening mode in mind.

9. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Given the choice of a crisp, sharp full frame transfer or a soft cropped transfer, I opt for the full frame. Sure, it's a compromise but at least it's not P&S.

10. flagbrothers

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    By the way, those comparison shots are of Drew Barrymore's father in this film. I'll wait for the Warner Achive release.

Crawdaddy