What's new

While the City Sleeps (Aspect Ratio) (1 Viewer)

flagbrothers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Perry
Can someone confirm the proper aspect ratio of "While the City Sleeps"? Image Entertaiment released this film on laser disc in the early 90's with an aspect ratio of 1:78. The IMDB has it listed at 2:00. The UK dvd release has it at 1:37. I have read that 1:37 is the proper ratio however, when it was released, RKO decided to have the film matted to accomodate CinemaScope screens thus giving it a 2:35:1 ratio. Does anyone know what is the true ratio of this film?

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
You can ask Warner Archive on their Facebook page, they're apparently remastering it right now.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
[COLOR= #0000cd]Since it was made in 1956 and was shot flat, it's "1.85 safe," meaning that is the preferred AR, but it can also be shown 1.33 without worry of boom mikes or other not-to-be-seen ephemera being visible (this was done for the sake of small-town theatres that might not yet have converted their screens to accomodate CinemaScope).[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000cd]Mike S.[/COLOR]

flagbrothers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Perry
The Widescreen Museum list it as a SuperScope Film.

I just read the Widescreen Museum's description of the SuperScope process. They contend that the process is the same as Super 35mm. If this is the case, the image is truly 1.37 matted to 2.00:1. The Super 35mm process was used for "The Terminator 2" that shows more information on the top and bottom of the screen but was matted to give a Scope presentation. Also, I happen to notice that the Scope advertisement is only on foreign posters. No American release poster advertise this as a Scope film.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Here's what Exposure Cinema sent to me Re: aspect ratio. You can also find it in the review of the disc at Fritz Lang

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's a world of difference in how a film is shot and how it's framed. And it's obvious, despite Lang's distaste for the process, from pretty much any of the 'grabs that this film was not framed with Academy as the principal screening mode in mind.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Given the choice of a crisp, sharp full frame transfer or a soft cropped transfer, I opt for the full frame. Sure, it's a compromise but at least it's not P&S.

flagbrothers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Perry
Thanks for the image GregoryMesh. I was considering to wait until WarnerArchives release this title in widescreen however, given the true nature of how this film was shot, I will go ahead and buy the UK dvd release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, those comparison shots are of Drew Barrymore's father in this film. I'll wait for the Warner Achive release.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks