What's new

Which was the first "sequel" ever? (1 Viewer)

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
While listening to the soundtrack from "Bride Of Frankenstein" yesterday I was asking myself if BoF was the first sequel to a movie ever since it was produce very early in the last century, 1935?

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
The New Testament?
smile.gif
Sorry, could not resist...
------------------
-Dominik Dröscher ICQ: 25318265
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes."

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Every movie title in the world just evaporated from my brain, but I know there were sequels before Bride. It didn't take Hollywood long to figure out that sequels were profitable.
I know Douglas Fairbanks did a couple of Zorro movies in the '20s, and Rudolph Valentio did a couple of Sheik movies around the same time. Somebody else around here probably has a more definitive answer.
------------------
Wang Chi: Here's to the Army and Navy, and the battles they have won. Here's to America's colors, the colors that never run.
Jack Burton: May the wings of liberty never lose a feather.
patriot.gif

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm pretty sure that the first sequel ever made was Son Of Kong, produced and released in 1933, the same year as King Kong.
Now that's fast.
smile.gif

------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I remember a TV programme about this some time ago. I *think* the answer is something like 'Zorro' or similar. However, I do know that, excluding serials, the movie with the largest number of sequels (as in the same central character) is Sherlock Holmes.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
It depends on your definition of a sequel. Charlie Chaplin played the same character (the tramp) in many early silents, so in some sense those could be considered sequels.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Not to mention the idea of a sequel is not limited to film. Obviously books and plays were doing it long before film was invented.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks