What's new

Which version of John Coltrane *Blue Train*? Regular CD or Enhanced CD? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
In perusing the scant selection of jazz CDs at Best Buy this evening, I saw two versions of John Coltrane Blue Train. One was the basic version for $11.99. The other one was an Enhanced CD that comes in a cardboard slipcase for $14.99. Aside from the obvious difference between the two versions, that being the CD-ROM extras on the Enhanced CD, is there a difference in sound quality between them? Does the Enhanced CD benefit from advanced remastering? There is only a $3 difference between the two versions, but I'm just curious. Thanks in advance.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Philip, thanks for the info. I would like a version on CD anyway for listening in the car and at work. I'll check out the DAD. Also, I saw that CDNOW has the LP for $15.99.

Peter_A_M

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

In a casual comparison between the two, I didn't find much difference. At times I think Ultimate Blue Train sounds fuller than the original Blue Train, at others I think there is no difference, but it's too late to tell for sure. The Ultimate version was to me worth the additional $15 just for those CD=ROM extras, though.

Philip,

Do you know whether the DAD also contains the features found on the Enhanced CD?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Peter, thanks for the information. As I said, the version with the Enhanced CD (with CD-ROM extras) was only $3 more than the standard version at Best Buy, so there is no reason for me to not get the Enhanced CD. I was just hoping that I would get better sound quality too. No big deal. I will have to check out the DAD too.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Keith,

I have very rarely seen the regular CD at Tower for over 9.99, so I would recommend you check there. The Tower that I frequent commonly has it on sale for 7.99. I have never heard the enhanced version, but as Philip recommended, the DAD is probably the best bet for home/critical listening, and the regular cd for car and office. I figure between these two, the enhanced CD gets lost in the shuffle imho.

Reg

Peter_A_M

Stunt Coordinator
That only depends on whether or not the DAD has the same features as the Enhanced CD. The alternate takes of both "Blue Train" and "Lazy Bird," interviews with Curtis Fuller, Johnny Griffin, Tommy Flanagan, Roy Haynes, and Rudy Van Gelder, among others, the essay by Bob Blumenthal and the video clip of Coltrane playing with Miles Davis on "So What" makes Ultimate Blue Train a must have.

KrisM

Second Unit
Has anybody compared these versions to the Mobile Fidelity release? Just curious.

Thanks
KrisM

NP Miles Davis - The Complete Live At The Plugged Nickle

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie,

Thanks for the Tower tip. I'll have to look for Blue Train the next time I am there.

Peter,

The CD-ROM extras sound very interesting. I'd probably be best off getting the DAD for listening at home and the Enhanced CD for the car and office and to have the CD-ROM portion.

Peter_A_M

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

Yeah, I just wish I knew about the DAD before I made my last CD run. If there were a single site that listed the high-resolution jazz recordings readily available, I wouldn't waste so much time and money on the poorly recorded and poorly remastered CDs I seem to have so much of.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
I placed an order for "Blue Train" on DAD and waited about 8 weeks for it. It was always on backorder, so I finally canceled the order and bought the ultimate edition.

Peter_A_M

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, I just found this from CDNOW:

"No self-respecting radio-station or home CD library should be without this 1957 masterpiece, newly available (dig this) with three inducements: 20-bit remastering, two previously unissued alternates and an interactive portion allowing those with CD-ROM players to access interviews and a Coltrane Blue Note discography with samples of music."

That should answer your question, Keith.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Peter,
Thanks for the information. It still could be that the basic CD also benefits from 20-bit remastering, though I will be picking up the Enhanced CD. Until I do, however, my CD collection is not self-respecting! :crazy:
Al,
Thanks for the tip. Where had you ordered the Coltrane DAD? I am having a similar experience trying to get the Weather Report Mysterious Traveller SACD from Digital Eyes. Every time I call, they say that their distributor can't get it in stock and that I should be patient. It's a relatively new title, and it's in print! The only reason I haven't cancelled the order is that I pre-ordered it when Digital Eyes inadvertently had it listed on their web site for just $10.18, and they are honoring the price.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
By the way, although I have not yet picked up Blue Train, I did pick up The Very Best of John Coltrane on the Rhino label last night for $7.99 at Borders. Highly recommended. This disc does not have any of the tracks from Blue Train since the two albums are on different labels. Still, the Rhino compilation is a no-brainer for $7.99. Me so happy. :)

cwhite

Second Unit
I have intentionally not bought Blue Train on CD because
I have the mid-80's DMM(direct metal mastering) analog vinyl version and depending on whom you talk to, it is either "very good" or "very bad". I have been curious about the Ultimate Edition. I had figured by now, Warner would had released DVD-A versions of eitherGiant Steps or My Favorite Things just to compete with Sony's Miles Davis SACD selections.

Peter_A_M

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

I'm grasping at straws, but the Tower.com review of the original CD says the following:

"A remastered version of BLUE TRAIN, featuring extra tracks, is scheduled to be released on Blue Note in early 1997. The additional tracks include alternate takes of 'Blue Train' and 'Lazy Bird.' "

Release date of Blue Train: 10/25/1990
Release date of Ultimate Blue Train: 04/01/1997

One could extrapolate from this information that since they announced the release of a new remastered version that the first version had not been remastered, but I don't know for sure.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Al,

Thanks. I wonder if Elusive Disc, Acoustic Sounds, or Music Direct have the Blue Train DAD. I'll have to check.

Peter,

Thanks for the added information. I had some certificates from the BMG Music Club lying around for CDs at reduced prices (free, 50% off, and $5.99), and I cashed them in today. One of the discs I am getting for free is Blue Train. I'm sure it's the standard CD that I saw at Best Buy the other night for $11.99, but free is free. I can always grab the Enhanced CD at a later date if the standard CD is dissatisfying.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I ordered the DAD from elusive disc and got it right away, but this was a while ago, so it might be different now.

Keith, I recommend the Ultimate version. I never heard the regular CD, just bought the enhanced one right off the bat, but the extra goodies are nice, even if you only go through them once.

I didn't even know Mysterious Traveler was on SACD! Man, we used to get sto... I mean, er, listen to this album in college all the time. I'll have to look for that.

NP: Strauss, DVD-A, Tacet

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks