What's new

Which to Caliberate DVD Player or Receiver? (1 Viewer)

NicholasY

Grip
I have a Denon 2900 DVD, and a Denon 3805 Receiver, which one should I caliberate as I noticed both have speaker caliberation menus?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You must calibrate the analog outs from the 2900 for SACD/DVD-A, since this is the only way you can hear them, and this will apply for movies as well if you use the Denon to do all processing (DVDs). However, I would opt for a digital connection for movies because the 3805 has auto EQ and better bass management.

NicholasY

Grip
John,
thanks, I am using Component video cables and an optical cable for the sound. So with these cables how should I do it? Do I just leave the settings on the DVD Player alone and set it to digital out?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
With the digital connection, the speaker level settings on the player will have no effect. Yes, set the player to digital out and calibrate the receiver. DTS = ON, and "bitstream".

For DVD-A and SACD you MUST use the analog outputs from the player though, these formats cannot be passed via digital from this player.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
i calibrate my multichannel analog connection by calibrating the receiver's external inputs, and i leave the player's speaker level settings alone (default). it shouldn't matter where you do it, though. it does the same thing; calibrates the player's analog connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks