What's new

Which Superbit dvd is significantly better than its non-SB counterpart? (1 Viewer)

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator
Or to put it another way, which of the Superbit DVD's is significantly better than the "regular" version?

Are there some Superbit dvd's that are just sort of lackluster or not worth the extra money?

For example I tried finding comparisons between the Superbit version of Heavy Metal and the Collector's Edition, but could not find anything. Best Buy actually has the non-SB version priced higher....

Steve

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Lawrence of Arabia for one. The difference is due to the different transfer used for the Superbit, restored by Robert Harris (or Harns, according to the box ;) ).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Lawrence of Arabia is probably the only one that has any real upgrades.

It's actually not a new transfer...

Harris and Columbia used the existing HD transfer and made a new NTSC master from it. In the process of making a new master, he oversaw color correction to make the film match its original look (mainly taking out pinkish/reddish tints from sand and skies). Also, every step was taken to keep digital artifacts from being added to the NTSC version.

Some other significant upgrades include a totally re-composited opening titles sequence and a better edited 5.1 track.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Well, you guys both beat me to the punch. I agree with Lawrence of Arabia Superbit being a significant improvement over the non Superbit original release.

That being said, even the Superbit version has some fairly significant flaws, most notably Edge Enhancement. Apparently this is inherent in the transfer. As Patrick indicated, this is not an actual new transfer, so the EE problems remain. :frowning:

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Picture wise only a few superbits give huge improvement. Most are small things here and there. The big thing is the DTS soundtracks for those who like them, and can use them

capt

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, it sounds like the primary appeal is the DTS soundtrack, and possible upgraded video.

Is anyone familiar with the Superbit versions of Heavy Metal? The Mask of Zorro? Hook?

I just picked up the SB version of Spiderman today, and plan to watch it later.

It sounds like the Superbit version of Das Boot is worthwhile, at least from the reviews.

OH, and Joey Nazzari, I am glad I looked at the bottom of your reply, I was unfamiliar with that site, and love video and PC games. I like that site, I just checked it out. Thanks for the link!!

Steve

ArthurFlew

Grip
The Fifth Element has a much better video transfer than the regular release as well.

And the Mask of Zorro Superbit deluxe is a great set, highly recommend that one.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
One of the members here had a website with the comparisons. I saw a noticeable difference in Vertical Limit that was enough cause for me to sell off the older one.

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
I agree Neil. Vertical Limit had a way better transfer to the point that it almost looked fake because of the clarity. Of course, that just my opinion.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
THE MASK OF ZORRO is one Superbit in which I noticed a significant difference. The new SPIDER-MAN Superbit doesn't seem to be a significant improvement to my eyes(though I'm not complaining; it looks and sounds fine).

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I'd say Desperado, Men in Black, Spider-Man and Bad Boys SuperBits all look and sound better than their "regular" counterparts. The Patriot's DTS track is definitely better than the DD, but I didn't see much of a PQ improvement with that disc(the same goes for Air Force One).

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I did some back to back comparisons of:

Stand By Me (US Special Edition NTSC)
&
Stand By Me (Japanese Superbit NTSC Region 2)

I honestly couldn't see any difference in detail. HOWEVER, I immediately noticed that the Japanese Superbit had way less edge-enhancement than the US Special Edition.

The Special Edition is loaded with major edge-enhancement, where as the Superbit has such a tiny amount it's very hard to see. In some scenes, I can't even see it at all. Superbit is MUCH better, if only to get rid of the major edge-enhancement.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I have Hook, but never saw the standard version, so I can offer no comparison.

I can say, however, that its a pleasing transfer, although there are areas where the picture looks a bit dated. No fault of the DVD of course. It is what it is.

The sound quality, particularly the score is fabulous in DTS.

BGL

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Hook is more or less a pure DTS upgrade. The original release was RSDL dual layer with minimal extras, and the video bitrate was more than adequate.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks