What's new

which speakers for around $1000 cdn (1 Viewer)

Simon Cho

Auditioning
Wow, I'm impressed by the expertise of the people in this forum. I'm just beginning to buy the parts to build a home theater. I just went out and bought a Marantz SR6200 for $500 cdn. I did some research on it and it seem like a good buy. Any comments from you guys. I can still return it. I'm looking at buying Athena point five series for speakers at $960 cdn. Anything else I should consider. I'm hoping to spend less than $2000 for both the receiver and speakers. One other thing, how good are the miniture speakers like the Bose AM6 III?

Thanks in advance.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
i would stay away from anything that is produced by Bose, don't even pick up a brochure.

Rick CH

Agent
I'll second the recommendation to look at Canadian speaker brands. You should be able to find a decent system with $1500 or so left to spend on speakers. So go out and audition Paradigm, PSB, Energy, Athena, Dahlquist, and Axiom and see what you like. They'll all have a system in your price range. One tip I'll pass along about Axioms is that you should see if there's a dealer in your area. You'll find dealers sell for basically the same price in Canadian as the US dollar prices listed on Axiom's website.

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
Where did you get the 6200 for $500 CAN? It's 6 X 110 W right? I purcahsed my Denon 1603 for $550 CAN and I thought I got an OK deal! $500 for the 6200 seems like a GREAT deal.

As for speakers Athtena I have heard good things about the Point 5 Energy take 5 is another system in the price range that has gotten good reviews.

The other thing you could look at is used. I know I just traded in my PDR 12 SUb and the dealer is selling it for like around $300. If you could buy some decent used stuff you could put together a book shelf and sub system that would be even better than a mini speaker system like the Take 5 or whatever.

Alan M

Second Unit
Regarding the Athena speakers,I just recieved and setup an athena P-2 sub which is part of the s2,s3 package and am very impressed so far with its performance.
Good luck with your speaker shopping.

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
It sounds like you're in canada, so I'd say check out a paradigm titan/cc-170/atom/pdr-10 combo. Cost me around $1k cad before cables/stands.

Sounded great, and looks so much nicer than the athena speakers. They look like large plastic boxes which is a huge turn off.

DON'T BUY THE ATHENA POINT FIVE FOR 960 CDN! Wait for a sale by soundsaround... In calgay we have it once a year... point five was going for around 600 cdn. I would try and the ENERGY ENCORE! That would match your new reciever nicely!

Alan M

Second Unit
Thanks Phil.You were right,for a small sub,I'm very impressed.I thought going from a 15"sub to the athena,I might be disappointed,but just the reverse.
Bass is clear and very precise,and yes,it does shake my ht room(18x12).
Sory,didnt mean to take over the thread.

Joel X

Stunt Coordinator
It might be a good idea to consider the NHT superzero's since they seem to be liquidating them at about half of the normal price. I ordered 10 units so I could play around with different configurations like three back channels fed by a prologic receiver through my AVR8000 and phantom center with a speaker above and below my screen. I haven't done any A/B testing but the build quality is very good and consistent, also I very much liked the wall mounts that came with each one. I got the XU version for that reason and though some don't like the basses of them because they aren't flat and for some reason came with a little wedge shaped pad/isolator to sit on when it is not on a wall, I found that they can be affixed semi permanently with any adhesive from silicone to a never going to come off glue, this of course works perfectly with the black version but might not be as successful with white due to the fact the pad probably being black and would stand out. BTW, my room is 16x16x8 so YMMV with a larger room. Good luck.

FrantzM

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

PSB should be definitely considered. The Canadians produce some interesting speakers and the price points are good. PSB may not get the same amount of ink, Paradigm does but they are consistently good across the line..

Frantz

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Simon I personally cannot recommend PSB's high enough, i am continually amazed by the performance i get out of mine and they are only the alpha intro's. I am almost positive when i upgrade my speakers i will again get PSB's..... just bigger ones :)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
PSB. I have all PSB and have no complaints. Great sound :)

Image 6T front
Image 9C centre
Image 2B surrounds

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks