What's new

Which sounds better??? (1 Viewer)

Percell

Grip
Just a quick question. I have a Denon 4802r receiver with B&W 603 speakers (surround). I just watch the movie 'X men 2' in DTS. It sounded great, a little more on the bass side, but it really rocked. In your opinion which sounds better DTS or Dobly 5.1???

Thanks!!!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Lol. That's anything but a quick question. In general, there's no right answer, it's been debated a lot. For specific movies there may be different mixes for one or the other that may make onse sound better. If you mean for this specific flick, then I don't know. But generally, they should both sound great, though I wager most of us choose DTS when it's available, but couldn't tell the difference between the two.

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
Chris is right..depends on the movie. I watched Coyote Ugly in both, and have to say that DTS sounded better. But, on other movies, it didnt sound as good, and wasn't available on the disk. Trust your ears, they won't steer you wrong.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator
DTS plays back a little louder. This will give the psychological effect of sounding better (and make it near impossible to do a/b comparison). DTS is the only format that provides a discrete rear center. I generally select DTS when available and have spent little time trying to figure out if it sounded any better.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The theory of DTS, initially at least, was a less compressed (digitall speaking) digital carrier- more bandwidth meaning better quality...

However on DVD, the original DTS codec has been made into a "lite" version using about half the data rate as theatrical DTS.

Some still prefer the DTS codec to DD, although in many cases I really think the differences are subtle at best. The fact that DD is a 15:1 data compression and still sounds as good as it does is a wonder of modern science ;)

-vince

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It comes down to the particular soundtrack and who/how mixed and mastered it. Given a choice, I will always select the DTS track first. Is it really better than the DD version? Who knows....

Which tastes better, Coke or Pepsi? Only you can answer that for yourself.

DTS plays back a little louder.
This is not unilaterally correct, again, it depends on the master/mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks