What's new

Which Sony receiver should I get, mid range or ES? (1 Viewer)

maggit

Auditioning
Real Name
Harris Norton
I am looking for a 7.1 receiver and I am really a sony guy. I like the STR-DN1020 but I have also been looking at some of the ES models as well. I know there is no point in getting a higher end receiver if I don't have a high-end tv, speakers, blu-ray player etc., but since the receiver is the heart of the setup, I don't want to sell myself short if I might be missing out on some features. I have a decent tv, an older sony 52" lcd and I plan on getting some higher end sony speakers. Should I shell out the money for let's say the new STR-DA3700ES or another model ES, or just stick with one of the lower end ones like the DN1020 or even the DH820? I own several blu-rays and a lot of dvds which I suppose would benefit from the ES's upscaling capabilities, but I'm not sure what to do. I appreciate and feedback.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Best thing about the ES series is the warranty. 5 years. Puts most of the others to shame.
It looks like the 3700ES series uses the Frajudja video processor which is kind of old school and past it's prime so I wouldn't use that as a reason to spend a whole lot more for it than the 1020 or 820. The 1020 doesn't offer a lot over the 820 (DNLA, Internet connectivity) but it's only about $50 more. In the past, the ES series also had a stronger amp section but I haven't looked into that recently. ES's do supprt 4 ohm speakers though.
High end Sony speakers? Which ones? If you're going to get Sony speakers then you should probably stick with the 820/1020.

maggit

Auditioning
Real Name
Harris Norton
Thanks for the input. I was looking the ss-f7000, I know they're not "high end" but they are the top mid range speakers. Do you have any recommendations for better speaker in the $200 to $300 range? For this price range of speakers is it pointless to get an ES?
What about an older model ES? I've seen lot of online stores with brand new da5400es, 4400es, 4600es,etc. Would those be worth it or just stick with one of the lower models?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Maggit
The differences between the DHS 820 and the STR-DA3600ES is $700.00 as well as the 5 year extended warranty. Both models have the Faroudja DCDI chip that smooths out jagged edges when upscaling video to 1080i, and the Faroudja chips allows you to display information over digital video. Other wise, l would stick with the 820 as it will give you more bang for the buck.

maggit

Auditioning
Real Name
Harris Norton
Interesting, I didn't realize they were that similar. If that's the case then maybe i should just go with the lower models.
My other big concern is the variety of Audio Decoders. Do the lower models offer enough of the same Audio Capabilities as the ES models? I have a lot of blu rays that are DTS-HD and Dolby-TrueHD and all that. That's probably my biggest concern, I want to have the best possible audio capabilities for the money I spend.
Thanks again for the info.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Maggit
Yes, it does offer DTS-HD and Dolby-TrueHD. I have the DH 520 and it does almost everything the 820 does with the exception of video upscaling. I got the receiver as an open box special for 149.00 w/o the remote and I purchased the remote for 25.00 plus shipping from Sony. Too bad, I could not get the 820 for a more reasonable price, and you should think on going with the 820.

maggit

Auditioning
Real Name
Harris Norton
Thanks, That's probably what i'll do, although i've seen some unbelievable deals online, like a da4600ES brand new for $600. It'll depend on what's available when I'm ready to buy.
Thanks for all the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks