What's new

Which Satellites? Mirage MX or Polk TL150? (1 Viewer)

y2nicco

Grip
Real Name
NK
Does any one here have experience with the Polk TL150 Blackstones or Mirage MX satellites? I plan on using one of the above for a home theater in a 12x14 room. I can get the TL150s for 75 bucks and the MX set sans sub for about $250, both new. From reading reviews, the MX set is one of the best compact speakers in the market but the TL150 doesn't seem to have as many reviews. I will be using my set 50/50 for movies and music so can any one offer me any advice on which may be better? For what it's worth, these will be hooked up to a VSX-52 with two ML motion 10 towers. Also, this is my first HT setup so I appreciate your patience and help! Lastly, I am well aware that speakers are often a subjective topic so any objective input (in addition to subjective) is much appreciated!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
For Surrounds and Back Surrounds I doubt it would make a difference which one you got so I'd say get the Polks and save some money. The Center channel is the problem. Neither one would be a very good match for the Motion 10's because they use a "Folded Motion" (ribbon?) tweeter. But the matching center starts at $299 (motion 6) and is a bit hard to find used on ebay. I'd say get the Polks for now and start saving for the proper center speaker.And a better subwoofer of course.

y2nicco

Grip
Real Name
NK
gene c said:
For Surrounds and Back Surrounds I doubt it would make a difference which one you got so I'd say get the Polks and save some money. The Center channel is the problem. Neither one would be a very good match for the Motion 10's because they use a "Folded Motion" (ribbon?) tweeter. But the matching center starts at $299 (motion 6) and is a bit hard to find used on ebay. I'd say get the Polks for now and start saving for the proper center speaker.And a better subwoofer of course.
Thanks! A local store has an open box Motion 6 for $200 that I can pick up. With that, the ML 10s, and the 4 polks, would that be an okay starter set? Then, as I am able to do so, I can slowly upgrade the other Polks. Alternatively, I can get the MLT-2 5.1 set for $200 instead of the Polks, sell the center to a friend that has been looking for a reasonably priced one, and then pick up the Motion 6 center. Will that match better? I don't believe it will, as the tweeters still won't match.

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
Also, regarding the sub, I would look at : http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M Great sound for the money, and a much better starter sub IMO.

y2nicco

Grip
Real Name
NK
Brainwasher said:
Also, regarding the sub, I would look at : http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M Great sound for the money, and a much better starter sub IMO.
Thanks for the advice. I actually already have one of those sitting in my living room, still in box. I think I may return it just because it takes $200 out of my speaker budget. Have not made a final decision yet, but it is an option! I am a little worried about its size though, as this setup is going in a relatively small (12'x14' room).

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
Honestly, you will likely regret not having a sub. It makes that much of a difference. A tough decision though for sure. I guess I would beef up my front stage the best I could too and add matching surrounds then a sub if I were in your shoes, rather than skimp an any one area.

y2nicco

Grip
Real Name
NK
Brainwasher said:
Honestly, you will likely regret not having a sub. It makes that much of a difference. A tough decision though for sure. I guess I would beef up my front stage the best I could too and add matching surrounds then a sub if I were in your shoes, rather than skimp an any one area.
Those are my thoughts exactly. I actually have access to a ML Dynamo 300 that I can "borrow" from a friend that isn't using it for the time being. I probably should have mentioned that - I think that little woofer is enough to hold me over while I get the proper speaker setup.

y2nicco

Grip
Real Name
NK
Brainwasher said:
What's your overall budget again? Or are you just trying to deal your way around?
I don't have a set number, per se, but I would ideally not like to spend more than $200-300 dollars. I already picked the Motion 10s up for $160 new in box on clearance, so those aren't rolled in the budget. I just figured for what I want to spend, picking up a motion center would be one of the few plays I can make.

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
I would snatch the center for 200, borrow the sub, and grab these : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-New-Martin-Logan-ML2-Front-Surround-Speakers-/330856482693?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item4d08954785 That gives you a nice 5.1 setup in your budget until, you can go bigger.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The Blackstone are "new-ish" which is why you don't see many reviews. The mirage MX(in my opinion) would work great as surround speakers because of the wide open nature of the tweeter. The only issue is your crossover(being the receiver you bought). Do the MX sats reach 80hz?

y2nicco

Grip
Real Name
NK
schan1269 said:
The Blackstone are "new-ish" which is why you don't see many reviews. The mirage MX(in my opinion) would work great as surround speakers because of the wide open nature of the tweeter. The only issue is your crossover(being the receiver you bought). Do the MX sats reach 80hz?
I recently bought the receiver because it was under $400 on clearance. Is there a problem with it?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No, there is no "problem"...you just need to "more closely match" the frequency responses of your 3-7 with your Motion 10(like find speakers that reach 80hz).

y2nicco

Grip
Real Name
NK
Sorry, what do you mean by "your 3-7"? I am new to HT so I am not familiar with the lingo! i will look for speakers that have a frequency range that encompasses the 80hz mark.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Front right/left=1 and 2. Center=3 Surround=4/5 back surround=6/7 If you have "traditional" 7 with height or width, then you have... height/width=8/9.

y2nicco

Grip
Real Name
NK
schan1269 said:
Front right/left=1 and 2. Center=3 Surround=4/5 back surround=6/7 If you have "traditional" 7 with height or width, then you have... height/width=8/9.
Great, thanks! I was considering picking up the Motion 6 (70Hz - 25kHz response) or 8 (120Hz - 25kHz response) center and temporary 6/7s until aI can add motion 6/7s in the future. That is a better match, right?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
y2nicco said:
I recently bought the receiver because it was under $400 on clearance. Is there a problem with it?
The "problem" with the vsx-52 is that it only allows you to choose one crossover setting for all speaker groups which makes pairing different sized speakers a little harder with Pioneer receivers. I'm surprised I missed that but glad Sam caught it. The Motion 10's are listed as going down to only 65 hz anyway (kind of high for a dual-driver tower speaker) so if you decide to get some of those tiny satellite speakers set the crossover to 100 or 120, borrow that subwoofer or use the BIC you already have. But ideally you should buy surrounds that can go down to at least 100 hz. Then you could use either an 80 or 100 hz crossover setting without worrying too much about it. The center/surrounds usually don't get too much bass response anyway but you still need to be carefull. A good rule of thumb is to set the crossover 10 to 20 db higher then the speakers lower extension to prevent damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks