Which region has the best audio/video transfer of Armageddon?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave H, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Now that I have an Oppo DVD player, I can enjoy the freedom of being region free.

I currently own the non-anamorphic version of Armageddon and have been wanting an anamorphic version for sometime.

Which region has the best audio/video quality and which version?

2. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

MY suggestion is to go to www.dvdcompare.net and type in the search thingy for Armageddon. My best guess is maybe perhaps Criterion's release is good? I've been using compare for awhile now and must they they're quite helpful. Good luck.[​IMG]

Also, www.dvdbeaver.com is also helpful too but they're biased on the terms that the more dubs a DVD has the better. In my opinion that's a negative mark...

3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Thanks, that's helpful.

Also, is there any video quality loss when PAL converts to NTSC?

4. RodneyT

RodneyT Stunt Coordinator

Armageddon here in Australia comes in a great 2-disc set thats similar (but not the same) to the Criterion Region 1 release. The improvement that we have is that the picture is anamorphic (and quite good, too). Apart from that, the PAL speedup issues and PAL/NTSC format issues aside, the region 4 version is excellent. I owned the Criterion release a few years back (but gave it up for an anamorphic version) and the only thing i remember being on that version were a couple of the original trailers and TV spots. Thats about the only real difference in terms of content.

5. Bill Geiger

Bill Geiger Second Unit

I also had the R4 Aussie disc and was very happy with it.

Sound wise, from what I have read, the R2 Japan rocks...but isn't anamorphic.

6. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer
    I have the CC version -- awesome extras and the picture is good although non-anamorphic. Use the zoom feature to watch it.

7. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

R2J disc has a Full Bitrate DTS track, but is still non-anamorphic. Long OOP too. But that DTS track rocks!