What's new

Which receiver to pick for hometheater (1 Viewer)

micdwa1

Auditioning
Real Name
dwayne
Hi,I'm having trouble on which reciever to buy.I have a 720p/1080i lg plasma tv and a sharp bd-hp20 blu-ray player which has true-hd decoder in it.I have 5 .1 right now.Do i need a 7.1 hdmi and true-hd decoders .Would a denon avr-789 do me justice.Thanks for the input.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Do you *want* 7.1?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
What kind of speakers do you have?

deacongreg

Auditioning
Real Name
GREGORY THORNE
There are other receivers to choose from for sure, but at 599.99 this is hard to beat. This Denon will decode the new lossless codec, both from bitstream and LPCM, as well as all the legacy formats. Also for video, it will scale all sources to 1080p and includes Faroujda`s DCDi processing. Denon has also added Audyssey Multi Room EQ room correction and auto setup.

However, at 90 watts per channel, if your room is fairly large, then you may want to look elsewhere, but if your room is small to medium size, you sould be in good shape. Hope this helps.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would also recomend a Denon! :emoji_thumbsup:

I have been to CES and have seen the different demo's and Denon continues to impress. With sound quality, build quality and implimitation of technology as well. Personally I am saving up for the AVR-3808ci as that will be replacing my current Yamaha RX-V995 that is about 11 years old.

I would go for the Denon AVR-1909 at least and like Gregory said above if you have a fairly large room and inefficient speaker you may be in trouble. For a large room you may really want to consider something like the Denon AVR-2809ci that is rated at 115 watts X 7. Both 1909 and 2809 will decode Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio as long as your player can bitstream those formats. If your player already decodes both lossless formats then you really do not need them. But if it doesn't and your player will bitstream than I would definantly make sure the reciever does decode them. And you can always run a 7.1 reciever as a 5.1 reciever as it will down mix any 6.1 or 7.1 source down to 5.1 if that is the way you set it up. There are some other good brands out there but I currently favor Denon.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey micdwa1,

Just wondering what receiver you went with and how it was working out for you?

Matthew101

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew
If the 997 is not available I am going to have to buy another unit.

I have a fairly large room for my theater system. The room is about 25 by 18.

Any ideas what to use? I need 7.1 and HDMI.

I already have an OUTLAW 990 pre amp and separate amplifier but I need HDMI so if I can't get the 997 I need to change either both or one of the units.
Thanks,

Matthew

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
How many channels is your Outlaw right now? Is it a 5 channel? If if has enough power for your front channels I would just add a 2 channel amp for the back two channels.

Then maybe look at a new pre/pro from:

Rotel RSP-1570 7.1 Home Theater Surround Processor/Preamplifier w/ 4 HDMI inputs

Denon AVP-A1HDCI(A): Ultra-Reference 12 Channel A/V Home Theater/MultiMedia Preamplifier with Network Streaming and Wi-Fi
(This is a costly option but may be a great choice if your budget allows.) 6 HDMI In/2 Out - 5 Component Assignable In

Integra 9.9 THX Ultra2 Plus, 7.1-Channel, 3-Zone Preamplifier/Processor 4 HDMI In/2 Out

You might want to consider a Denon AVR-3808ci receiver or Marantz SR-6008 receiver or maybe a Onkyo TX-SR876 as a surround sound preamp. The Denon SVR-3808ci can be upgraded to Audyssey Pro, Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Audyssey Dynamic EQ so it can be a great pre/pro even though it is a receiver. And you can reassign internal amplifiers to other zones instead of buying external amplifiers for all zones.

SAMSUNG65

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
I am currently using the pioeer vsx 1018-ah. its 140 at 7.1. It runs about 5 to 600 range. Its a direct energy receiver. it has good specs and plenty of good power to handle my klipschs f-3s towers.

Dave

SAMSUNG65

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Mattew

Check out the pioeer vsx-1018-ah. I am currently using this receiver. It is a direct energy amp. It has 7.1 channels. 140 watts at 7.1

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks