What's new

Which receiver for this beginning setup? (1 Viewer)

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
I'm getting closer to finally going through with my plans and getting some DIY speakers - GR-Reasearch AV2s or AV3s. To start, I'd just like to go with the 2, then adding a sub, then the center and surrounds.

My idea is instead of buying a cheaper HTiB or individual components all at once, I'll just slowly build with quality components that will last me a long time. Therefore, the receiver should match this idea. I want something that will last a while. I realize that with the technology changing as quickly as it it, inputs/outputs will change - but this doesn't mean the performance of the receiver will decrease quickly as well, does it?

So what would you recommend? I don't want to set a budget now, as I don't know what my options are. I'd just like ideas and explanations as to why I should make sure to get "XYZ" feature or whatever.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Tim

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Price range?

If you go with the 2s, you will want to look for something that is 4 Ohm stable, and that will tend to be a bit more expensive, on the order of around $500-600 and up new. NAD would probably have one of the least expensive the 743. Then moving up to Rotel, Arcam, B&K at a much higher cost.

The A/V-1 and A/V-3 should be OK with most decent receivers. I'd say try to listen to Marantz, NAD, Harman Kardon, Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha in your price range.

I can't think of many "must have" features that most current receivers won't have. As long as it does DD and DTS it should be sufficient.

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
Thanks...I'm leaning towards the 3s now. So basically any good receiver will run them fine? I suppose $400 or under as a starting point for a budget. Thanks again.

Tim

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
You could go with Onkyo's Tx-SR502 for a traditional solid-state amp, or Panasonics SA-XR50 has been getting rave reviews on this site for its new digital switching amp (Both retail at $299)

For $400 and under you can expect 6 channel amps, DD, DTS, & pro-logic2, 2 sets of component video inputs, 4 or 5 digital audio connections.

Do NOT expect to get DVI or HDMI switching, or more than 2 component video inputs unless you plan on spending alot more money.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The more power the better, but with the 3s and a $400 receiver, you should be fine. There has been a lot of discussion about the Pioneer 1014, might want to give that one a look too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks