What's new

Which Racing Game should I get for X-Box (1 Viewer)

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
New to X-Box and was wondering which Racing game I should get.

Project Gothem Racing
Sega GT
Midnight Club 2

millercv

Second Unit
PGR is hard to beat now that it has gone to platinum pricing ($20). Haven't played the other two but as I understand it MC2 is good but it is as much about memorizing the paths as racing.

If you have a Best Buy in your area check for these little freebie "magazines" they have lying around the game section and they have a $5 off coupon good for platinum titles that brings PGR down to $14.99

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
-As millercv said, the platniums have a couple of nice deals on good racers, PGR, also Rally Sport Challenge is great, and for $14.99 you'll be hard pressed to find better deals!
-And online I love Midtown Madness, but it's not so much of a straight racer so much as a great Driving/Chase game with only one true race mode ->checkpoint racing.
-Also, MotoGP and MotoGP2 are amazing motorcycle racing games, and they can be played online as well.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Ok, I just downloaded and played the Midnight CLub 2 demo. Blah that tasted bad. I am going to pick up PGR tonight. Thanks for the help.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I actually love Burnout 2. (Havent played 1 but I heard its pretty close to 2).

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
For u guys with racing titles, can u recommend a good wheel and stuff with force feedback for the xbox?

millercv

Second Unit
As far as wheels DON'T get the MC2 wheel for xbox - it feels great, is xbox live compatable and works great when it works. Unfortunately it has a bug where every few minutes it will say that it has been disconnected from the unit and you have to hit the x button to continue. You can turn off vibration feedback and it helps but if you are spending that much on a wheel I would expect it to work like its supposed to.

Right now there are no true force feedback wheels (just wheels w/ vibration) supposedly some are coming out later this year when PGR2 comes out (the first game to support it) so you may want to wait till then or just pick up a cheap wheel till then. I do believe Toys R Us carries a cheap universal wheel for under 30.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
The Mad Catz universal wheel doesn't suffer from the disconnecting issues.
Doesn't have force feedback, though.

As indicated above it's pretty tough to beat Gotham and Rallisport Challenge at their new bargain basement pricing. Great games. I've heard Colin Macrae Rally is excellent as well. A lot of people raved about Apex.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Microsoft just settled the lawsuit from Immersion (which may have been the reason for lack of force feedback on the Xbox) so I'd wait until one is released...probably later this year.

I'd second all of the games mentioned. (although I didn't get into Burnout, I do like Burnout 2) Rallisport is great with a sequel on the way...the new Colin McRae & Project Gotham Racing sequels are due this year also.

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
-I've never had an issue with my Madcatz wheel disconnecting. I love using it, and I perfer it's control setup vs. those of the s-controller. The wheel does vibrate, but it does not have have force feedback as stated.

-I also love Burnout 2, as much for the crashes as the races. The racing has some of the best sense of speed in a game. Note that Burnout2 is more arcade than sim racing, but it's a lot of fun.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Don't get PGR, unless you have some sort of affinity toward obsessive compulsive repetitive behavours. Really. You'll be starting the same race over and over and over and over and over again. Honestly, the game is very challenging, but not much fun. Having said that, I'm determined to beat it, so I can't put it away. Actually, I hate this game. ;)

Martin.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I'd get PGR For sure, and if you still need more, get Rallisport.

However, Sega GT is a drop dead awful poor man's Gran Turismo, and should be avoided.

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
Sega gt has its faults but overall its a good game and is the closest thing to gran turismo on xbox. Many have said that the physics engine for the suspension on sega gt is quite a bit better that GT3.

Just resist the urge to rush through the game and go straight to the GT40. I'd suggest trying out a few other cars like the third gen rx-7 and the 240 racing edition nissan you get. Max out their handling before you even bother with hp upgrades.

I had the most fun with those cars. The one failing in the game is that they force you into using the gt40 because nothing else is competitive later on.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The Mad Catz universal wheel doesn't suffer from the disconnecting issues.

...Doesn't have force feedback, though.
It also doesn't work on XBox Live.

While nothing is official, the odds are good we'll see a real force-feedback wheel, with XBox Live support, in the next several months.

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
-How did you determine that the Madcatz wheel does not work on Xbox Live?? I ask because I have been using it with Midtown Madness online, it has always worked, and I LOVE IT! Are you refering to it working with another game,... midnight club??

I was annoyed that it did not state support in the Midtown Madness manual, and thus I had to figure out the controls, but that minor annoyance aside it works fine.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Joel,

What I mean is that the universal version of the wheel does not have a memory slot for the headset.

I should have been more specific.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks