What's new

which projector do you recommend? (1 Viewer)

marc-s

Auditioning
Real Name
marc schwartz
im looking for a 1080p projector $10000 or less that will give me the best picture on a 120" screen (i know who isnt looking for the best picture). :)

i have been recommended the sharpvision, the optoma, the marantz, the jvc, the dwin.

i have been told that i will get a better pic if the lense is glass, not plastic (like the optoma)

what do u guys recommend?

marc

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Seriously consider the new Samsung H800 1080p DLP projector, designed by Joe Kane Productions. It's due out in November for somewhere between $6k and $7k. Joe's projectors have been used in post-production by movie studios and program producers because of their remarkable image accuracy. If you value absolute image fidelity and artistic integrity, the Samsung is the one to compare all others against, regardless of price. It's my professional preference and the one I will be recommending to all my custom home theater and professional consulting clients.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I know what I would do now given that budget. I would buy the Panasonic PT-AE1000U for less than $3,000 and come back in two years to purchase the best 1080p projector for about $7,000. It may be the new Samsung projectors will be the king of the hill, but right now, I am not reading about performance levels that justify the incremental price differences compared to the first generation Panasonic 1080p LCD projector. It sure seems to me that there are too many issues and performance shortcomings with all of the models I am reading about. I don't own a 1080p projector yet but have read about the Infocus, Optoma, Sony, JVC, Mitsubishi, Epson and other manufacturer offerings.

Chris

lennyd

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
I'd second Chris's strategy - wait on the 1080 PJ. You might snag a Sharp XVZ12000 MARK II, which are being heavily discounted (from 12k to below 2k). It a DLP, 720p and being a high-end Sharp, a quality PJ. Follow the links from SharpUsa.com and you'll find an authorized dealer there.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys

We are doing a power buy right now for the Benq W10000 which is 1080p 24 FPS with Carada screen and DVD50Pro Processor AND Toshiba HD DVD player. All for $6499. This deal is smoking!!! the PJ by itself has a retail of 10K.

The W10000 is a very well reviewed projector and I highly recommend it.

Regards

Gregg Loewen

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
The Benq i a very good projector, but there is better out there, but youd only be getting a PJ. The Deal mentioned here is a very nice one, although I would go larger screen. A few others would be Sony VW60, JVC HD1, sorry but I swear by mine over the Benq. There are a few others but these mentioned are based on LCOS technology, which means no rainbows. Good luck but I agree the deal above is insane.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys

The VP50Pro is available by itself. It is $2875 and we are including a free A30 HD DVD player with it.

Different screen sizes are also available.

Different technologies have different short comings. In LCD and LCOS there can be severe color uniformity issues (that only get worse with time) and convergence issues. On DLP you have neither, but you do have the potential for rainbows, which are not much of an issue with 5 x color wheels with multiple segments. You have to pick your poison.

Regards

Gregg

Scott98

Agent
Real Name
Scott
if it were me I would go with the Epsom PowerLite Home Cinema 1080p Projector.. its under $3000 and has a 3 yr warranty with overnight replacment if anything happens to it.. Ive had issues with panasonic and there terrible CS so personally warranty is my main concern..

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the Epson is a great unit if you do not mind color gradiation / uniformity issues as the panels wear with age.

Scott98

Agent
Real Name
Scott

Yeah.... maybe accidental damage warranty would be a good combo with this unit..

;) OMG! I was hanging my projector on the ceiling mount and droped it on my concreet floor guess ill need a new one since this one is in peices:laugh:

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Oh no. I can see having that same sort of accident here. Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but it is good you can put things in the proper perspective and laugh about it.

Chris

marc-s

Auditioning
Real Name
marc schwartz
what do u think about the new marantz vp15s1 compared to the jvc dla-hd1?

i know the price is slightly different but will i get a more superior quality picture with the marantz to make it worth buying?

marc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks