Which progressive scan DVD player should i get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jae_P, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Jae_P

Jae_P Extra

I plan on getting one very soon so i need some help on choosing the right one.[​IMG] I just bought a Toshiba 50h71 and my interlaced DVD player needs to go. I only want to spend about $250. I dont even know which brand is good so id be happy to hear some suggestions. THanks.

2. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

My brother-in-law just purchased a Panasonic RP-56 and I must say, I'm very impressed with this PS player. The picture quality seems outstanding. No chroma bug!

There is a Sony (model number is xx700xx) that I've heard good things about, but I believe it does in fact have the chroma bug (if you notice this).

I believe both of these players can be had for under $250.

3. Herve Papirer

Herve Papirer Auditioning

I am very satisfied about picture and sound quality with my Denon 2800 and would buy it again if I had to.

4. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

as an alternative, have you thought about a scaler/line doubler instead of throwing out your interlaced player? I bought an Iscan v2 (no component input) and run everything through it except for HDTV signals. It cost me $350 and allowed me to get a better picture from my VCR (*sigh*) and my LD player (*yea!*) while GREATLY improving the dvd picture imho. I have a Panasonic CV-50 interlaced changer and a Pioneer Elite DV-36 progressive changer. The Elite has a decent internal doubler, but I turned it off completely once I bought the Iscan. I think that's been one of the best investments I've made for the HT in recent memory.

Of course, this is just an opinion.

Regards,

~~Nathan

5. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

JVC progressive scan players are excellent and are reasonably priced.

6. John Corbett

John Corbett Extra

I just got a Toshiba SD3750 yesterday and so far it looks great. I will be able to give a better review in a few days as I also got a Toshiba 34HF81 TV yeterday and I am still in tweak mode. However, after spending many hours connecting and setting things up I put on The Fifth Element just check out a couple of fav scenes. WOW!!! I ended up watching the entire film. The SD3750 was putting an excellent picture on the screen.

7. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony DVP-NS700P and very happy. It has a chroma bug but IMHO no big deal and it is I believe under $250.

8. Jae_P

Jae_P Extra

What is a chroma bug? Do all Sony DVP-NS700P have the bug?

9. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

This link will give you some info on the chroma bug.

10. Jae_P

Jae_P Extra

Thank you for the link. It was very interesting and also very confusing. In the article it said something about the picture losing resolution when using a progressive scan dvd player. So does this mean that getting a progressive scan player might not improve the picture but instead make it worse for some tvs?? Then how do i decide if i should get one or not? Could someone explain this to me in lay mans term. If thats how you spell lay man.